Shotgun Forum banner

Does it really matter if you have a RH shotgun?

9K views 25 replies 25 participants last post by  breugel 
#1 ·
I am not left handed, but extremely left eye dominant due to an eye injury as a child. I shoot handguns RH but left eye dominant and am comfortable with that. I enjoy target shooting and hunting some and have played around with shooting riffles/shotguns left vs right but never really got comfortable with either way. I recently decided I would learn to shoot riffles and shotgun left handed. Just seems to make sense given my circumstances. Probably would be in my best interest to see an instructor. Im getting close to purchasing a new 12 ga auto. Its hard enough finding the right gun and I haven't even considered looking for a LH gun. This forum caught my eye (no pun intended) and I thought I would ask the question: Does it really matter if I learn to shoot LH with a RH gun?

#2 ·
I'm going to say probably not UNLESS you get into serious competitive shooting at which time a gun set up for a LH shooter would be an advantage. My oldest grandson is left eye dominant and right handed at everything except shooting. He shoots standard stocked rifles and shotguns without problem. He says the hulls flying past from a RH gun don't bother him at all. He has shot my shotguns and rifles since he was about ten and deer hunts with a RH Browning A-Bolt II.

I've bought a RH Rem 870 for his upcoming 18th b'day, so we'll see how he does shucking shells with his right hand. Hope he does ok. I don't need another shotgun. :lol:

Regards,
Dave

#4 ·
With shotguns you are not aiming via the sights. This is why a shotgun is different than a rifle or a handgun. You are looking at the moving object and not the sights. When you bring the gun up to firing position the gun has to track your dominate eye. If the stock of the gun forces you to look at the gun, line up your eye over the barrel, you'll not be looking at the target. You will most likely miss a lot of birds (be they real or made of clay). Remember you shoot not at the bird, but where the bird will be. Same problem will occur if you lift your cheek off the stock. At a test, look at a distant object, close your eyes, bring the gun up to where you were looking, open your eyes. Are you looking down the barrel and at the object? If not and the barrel is pointing some place else then the gun doesn't fit you. You need to bend the stock not your body to get everything in alignment. Shooting high mount will allow you to move you body to fit the stock, but most likely you'll have your face in some screwed up position and will lift off the gun stock.

#5 ·
I'm a hard-committed lefty (God made me that way) and I have used right handed guns all my life and for recreationaol shooters it really doesn't seem to matter much--I get used to the righty's and when I try a lefty they seem weird to me! So just go shooting and enbjoy.
Some guns are perfect for lefty's--top break guns like my favorite Browning Lightning--It doesn't care if your left or right. I always wanted to own a Winchester lever action shotgun--its on my list of things to do.

#6 ·
Left handed shooters for the most part adapt to right handed firearms. The simple fact is comparing models, we get crumbs on entry level to mid priced guns. High end is no problem, except that no matter how much money you have pump and automatic shotguns have very few options. Some shotguns manufacturers like Mossberg at least give you a thump safety, while many others with buttons can not be swapped easily (there are exceptions). Ithaca and Browning pumps are good for both and the Ithaca safety is easy to replace.

It really depends what you want to shoot. If you were going to shoot competitively, trap skeet or sporting clays an over and under with correct cast is a definite consideration. But as a lefty, it is not a bad idea to start out cheap, learn the basics on a right handed pump or automatic then buy accordingly.

I will say god forbid on a catastrophic firearm failure, burst barrel, or receiver having the open chamber of most pumps and automatics next to your face has real risk of injury.

#7 ·
I switched to shooting left handed 20 years ago. In my mind there is no question it's the way to go if you are left eye dominant. The biggest issue is the stock cast of the gun. As you look to one of the new automatics most due indeed come standard with cast on shims to meet that need. After shooting several automatics the shells flying out the right side do not seem to be a distraction. I for one do not even see them. It's strange but I have a left handed 11-87 and swear I can see the action cycle and shells eject with that gun but not with any of the right handed auto's I've shot.

#9 ·
Until a few years ago I would have said no. Then I saw a buddy shooting his brand new 870 when something malfunctioned and a ball of flame rolled out the ejection port. He is right handed and it was a right handed gun. It singed the hairs on his right hand, it could have been serious if a left hander was shooting it.

That is a rare occurrence and I still would/do shoot RH guns but it has caused me to move towards guns that a failure like that wouldn't put my face by the ejection port.

#10 ·
As a lefty and having shot a right handed auto loader, the action and hulls didn't bother me until I started shooting sporting clays. Then the hulls bouncing off the stand would perch on my right arm or drop into my shell pouch. If you can find a good lefty, do so. If not, shoot what you have and enjoy.

#11 ·
Shooting a right handed semi-auto bothers me. The shells and action coming back are very noticeable. It is a split second distraction in my sight plane. It is not so bad with a pump while recoil and working the action is taking place. That's why I like the sxs and Ithacas.

#12 ·
Another lefty here that's shot RH guns all my life.
As long as the stock is neutral it dosn't matter. About the only shotguns I've not felt comfortable with have been ones with a lot of cast or a large palm swell. Me and Berettas don't get along at all. The shells flying out of the action when shooting either a pump or an auto don't usually bother me. Occassionally, I get some powder back from the action or get to see the flash of burning powder when the action opens on an auto. Like mentioned earlier, I've shot LH guns before and felt funny while shooting them.

HWD

#13 ·
Cumby,

Left eye dominant right hander here..and I shoot left handed and glad I made the switch. If you can do it, it is definitely the way to go.

If you can try some of the before purchasing guns it would be very helpful. Instruction would also be a great move to make at this point as well and start of on the right foot.

Many of the semi-autos out there can have the stock adjusted for 'cast on' for a left handed shooter. I know Beretta's can. I find having a stock with cast on helps me very much. I can shoot guns with 'neutral cast' as well (Browning O/U's are neutral cast), but I have to bend my head around the stock somewhat. If a gun has 'cast off' for a right handed shooter (Beretta O/U like the 686 come with about 1/4" of cast off) I have a very difficult time shooting them well.

In regards to hulls ejecting out the right side...it does not bother me...but others do have a problem with it, so again, if you can try before buying it would be the best.

#14 ·
I shoot doubles a lot because I shoot left handed due to eye dominance. I have a Baikal 16 ga O/U that had a cast off for right handers that I had to modify because I could not shoot it well. I also have used Mossberg pump guns with success and have a Benelli left handed auto loader. With its stock shims and adjustments I shoot the Benelli very well. Guns that shoot well out of the box for me are Soeger SXS's. While there may be others issues with them, they shoot well for me.
When one talks about adapting, I used to shoot BP trap with a Brown Bess flintlock. While I wore glasses and long sleeved shirts to do so, there is a distraction with the flash and bang of one of them in front of the face. I have since built left handed fowlers. I did not do all that bad with the Bess. We can adapt to a certain degree if the guns are not too messed up.

DP

#16 ·
Dominate hand has nothing to do with shooting, you shoot from your dominate eye side. Thou many still refer to this as right/left handed, in fact refers to right or left eye dominance.
Fighting the way your eyes/brain are wired well will just cause frustration, working against your natural ability will lead to less to than stellar results
left eye dominate shoot from left side period, whether you prescribe to cast on/cast off or neutral stock is your call.

#18 ·
osen007 said:
I buy all right hand guns I have been shooting for 20 years and just adapted to them, I have all high end guns and left handed guns are really hard to sell.
I`m not sure about this. If the price reflects the condition of the gun, it won`t be hard to sell to left eye dom. shooters. I think the problem most sellers have is they think that because they have a LH gun they can bump up the price because they consider the gun as if it were "rare". This pertains to used guns only. New guns will always cost more because it costs more for set up and production.

#20 ·
I shoot left handed, but I am right eyed. All of my guns are right handed, but I always change the cross bolt safetys on guns like Remington 1100's and Browning A5's and I generally use side by sides, but have recently aquired a couple of Browning over and unders.

I have learned to shoot a rifle right handed, and that has helped me bag a few extra deer, when one would come up on the off side, but for fast shooting, I just never could master the shotgun right handed. So, I learned many many years ago to just close my right eye and let the left take over, when shooting a shotgun. I don't point a shotgun, I aim it, by looking right down the rib or barrel. I will never be a world champion, but I do have above average shotgunning skills, and I guess that will have to do for me.

Generally I can pick up about any shotgun and shoot it fairly well, but only buy for myself shotguns that throw up well for me, and give me a natural sight picture, when looking down the barrel. If I do end up with a shotgun that doesn't shoot to point of aim for me, I sell it or trade it off, and keep the ones that work for me.

#21 ·
I am a lefty. I shoot a lot, usually over a flat a week, some weeks 2 flats. I regularly with a group of guys, 2 of whom are also left-handed. We all shoot RH semi-autos. Of course we all wear good shooting glasses. Nuff said.

#22 ·
I too am left handed and sadly. right eye dominant :( I once owned a Browning BPS which was bottom feed and bottom eject. It was fine but I needed a better all around gun for both turkey and deer. And yes I could have and did buy a rifled barrel to swap out when the time was needed. Circumstances led me to sell the Browning and recently I bought a Mossberg 535 Camo with two barrels (rifled and smooth bore). It ejects the hulls out towards the right but isn't a distraction since I'm right eye dominant and crane my neck so my right eye sights down the barrel leaving nothing available for the hull to distract. It's just more difficult with a scope. I tried using my left eye for sighting in my gun but it's just too difficult and I cannot get used to doing my shooting that way.

gh

#23 ·
I am left handed and have been so since birth. 60 years old and been shooting since I was 12 or so. I shoot right hand guns. I tried a few leftys and couldn't get used to them. Resale also sucks. I now try to shoot autos with cast on shims. Good luck and always rember left hand people are in their right mind!

#24 ·
funny I should read this..I was taking my 11 year old daughter shooting at a new (to me) club for her first outing..I was shooting my Gold hunter, which is RH. I write and shoot LH, everything else I do RH..cause everything is designed for RH persons..no big deal..I've delt w/ it..but the guy working w/ us asked me which eye was dominate..I told him my left...he asked if I could close each eye..I said the only eye I can close is my right..I literally cannot close my left eyelid w/ out using my fingers..this had the instructor stumped..but back on topic..I shoot RH shot guns and M-16s w/ the Air Force and neither one bother me..so if it feels right to you, stay with it..

#26 ·
My son shoots SCTP tournaments all the time in SC. He does not like an auto because the shells distract him. He is shooting my O/U which is right handed. He has to roll his head over to look down the barrel. He has plateaued in the 80s for youth shoots and 70s for adult shoots. His biggest problem is having to verify his eye position over the barrel because it just does not fit him and sometimes he looses focus on the bird. I am looking now for a left handed stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.