It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Left hand automatics
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:51 am 
Tournament Grade

Am I the only one that prefers right hand autos over left hand autos?

Post subject: Re: Left hand automatics
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Nope.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

And poroud you should be!
USMC LCpl 67' 68'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Not saying I don't have or use RH guns. I prefer the left hand ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I currently shoot the Beretta 391, which is a great gun, but I would prefer a true left-hand gas gun that is reliable. Beretta refuses to make the 391 or the 400 in left-hand, leaving us with the Benelli as the only currently available left hand semi-auto. If Remington would reintroduce the 11-87 or 1100 left-hand again in a sporting version I would sell stuff to get one, but that ain't going to happen in my life time.
I realize the manufacturers won't make left-hand guns because so few buy them, but many lefties end up buying right-hand guns because no-one makes the left-hand gun that we want - and the vicious circle continues! Any wonder why the O/U dominates the clay target sports? At least we lefties can get what we want if we just replace the stock with one with cast-on, for a measly $1200 to many thousands of dollars for custom wood.

I predict that we will get a real choice in left-hand semi-autos at the same time that we get stocks long enough for those of us over 6 feet tall with arms longer than 32", i.e. when hell freezes over!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

USAFA71,

Back in 68' they didn't even have lefthanded M-16's in the USMC.
Any lefties that shot the M-16 knows that the brass used to eject and land on the back of your neck or worse, drop down underneath you shirt. I dreaded when we had to flip the lever to full auto.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Check out the new Fabarm semi auto XLR. It will be out soon in LH and it is a screamer!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:51 am 
Tournament Grade

It's expensive!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For the price of the new Fabarm, you could take a VERY nice LH 1100 or 1187($700), send the barrel to briley to have them trick it out ($500), drop a Timney in it ($200), send it to Moneymaker or Simmons and have them put a rib on it ($500), buy some VERY nice wood for it ($500), and still be cheaper.

The Fabarm might interest me at a $1500 price point. At a $2500+ price point, I'll look for something else.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:15 pm 
Limited Edition

I had to switch to left hand shooting. I like a right handed auto it is easy to load and i never
see the spend round.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:38 am 
Field Grade

From the FABARM facebook page it appears that the FABARM Velocity left hand guns have arrived in the USA. It says that they are limited in quantity. I already shot the right hand models and they certainly are worth a look. Are they expensive? Not if you have to buy a Beretta/Benelli/Remington and then have to send it out to have all of that work done to it. The performance parts are already built in.

F3Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:15 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a left hand 870 pump and much prefer it over a righty version.
I'm glad Benelli makes lefty auto loaders. My next shotgun is going to be an SBE2. The lefty version just feels right in the hands. I'd rather give my money to a company that acknowledges and caters to lefties. I love Beretta products but until they acknowledge left handers exist. I don't see myself buying one of their shotguns.

As far a Fabarm is concerned, I've never heard if them, but kudos on catering to this niche

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Mongoose--Just so you know--Beretta owns Benelli--so they are getting your $$$$. The new Fabarms is a fully tricked out target gun with an adjustable rib, built in recoil reducer, adj trigger, mag. cap weights, adj comb etc. Not a hunting gun, but I'll bet they sell all the lefties they can make for a while!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Being a right-handed person that shoots left handed, I would love it if they would just offer a left handed stock, as everything else, loading, unloading I do right handed, but my shoulder hates the cast on, hits me right in the collar bone...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

I consider myself a society forced right hander and now do a lot of things right handed, but refuse to shoot right handed, but I'm with the OP I've been shooting right handed auto loaders for so long that I actually feel out of place shooting a left handed one. The coolest thing about throwing right handed and shooting left handed is I can throw my own clays and shoot them with ease lol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:04 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a Beretta 391 and love it. Just recently realized I could change the cast. I have a left handed 686 on order, can't wait for it to get here.

What is it about a right handed auto loader you don't like? The ejection of the shell? I rarely notice it. Too focused on the sight picture to notice unless I really bone a shot. Look at the bird, look at the bird, look at the stinking bird! I've seen the flames come out every now and then, but typically only when I took my head off the stock.

I've had it jam once or twice on the second shell and still keep it mounted and jiggle it in with the right hand, so that seems to be a plus to me.

I'm no authoritarian by no means. I don't hunt at all, I just like shooting sporting clays. I guess I just took using a right handed gun as a must. I knew they made left handed guns, but didn't go out of my way to get one.

Truly, it seems like it would be harder to load a left handed. I can hold my 391 in my left hand cradled along and in the crook of my arm to the side and stuff it full of shells no time flat and back to shooting. Seems like you would have to load them all whopper jawed the other way, hand over top of the receiver. Where do you wear your shell pouch? Right side or left?

Not trying to offend any one by my comments hope not.
KS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Dutchess County, NY - the northern most county of Alabama
There's nothing wrong with shooting a RH semi-auto unless something goes wrong such as a split shell or the gun itself fails. Then the RH ejection port will blow gases and/or gun guts at your eyes. Might not happen once in your lifetime, but if it does then the extra cost of a LH gun would have seemed cheap. My $0.02 and your results may vary.

- Ben Franklin