CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shooting RH Autos as a lefty
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:19 pm 
Field Grade

I'm thinking about a Browning A5 - I'm wondering if any of you leftys have shot one, and are the shells ejected far enough away from the shooter not to be distracting/unsafe? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Shooting RH Autos as a lefty
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shooting a RH auto is safe. Being distracted, I doubt you will even notice but that is up to the shooter. One thing I did notice is during certain wind conditions, powder residue from the ejection port blows right back in your face and eyes and that is very unpleasant. Even with glasses on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:14 pm 
Limited Edition

In certain wind conditions powder residue blows in my face shooting my LH M2. Don't have a problem shooting my LH stocked Caesar Guerini.

BOB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:24 am 
Tournament Grade

I have never been bothered by RH ejection guns. There is a slight safety issue, but proper eye protect will minimize it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:10 am 
Crown Grade

I've shot a bunch of RH autos with no problems. Once in awhile I'll catch a little powder, but not that much. GO FOR IT!

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:56 pm 
Field Grade

The only thing that I have noticed other than above is the combination of arm length and shooting style makes it so a Remington 1100 ejects the spent shell primer first into my arm. haven't had a problem with any others but try the model you want out before you buy it to make sure there are no adverse effects.

MC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I switched to a Beretta 391 4 months ago as my clays gun. I have shot around 4K rounds through it and have had one instance where some powder blew back in my face. I had shooting glasses on of course and while I noticed it, it was a trivial matter. I do not notice, or at least am not consciously aware of the cases ejecting.

I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:50 pm 
Field Grade

I am 60,as left handed as can be,can't pick my nose right handed, and have been shooting autos for years. I have had all flavors,Remington,Benelli,Browning, along with many overand unders and single shots. never have had a problem with them being right handed. I do switch the saftey but that is a personal choice. The resale is also better and easier.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:11 pm 
Field Grade

JacksBack wrote:
I switched to a Beretta 391 4 months ago as my clays gun. I have shot around 4K rounds through it and have had one instance where some powder blew back in my face. I had shooting glasses on of course and while I noticed it, it was a trivial matter. I do not notice, or at least am not consciously aware of the cases ejecting.

+1
I rarely even see the ejected hull go by my face. The gas ejected is not an issue for me either. I just use a standard Beretta AL391 or A400 semi-auto, and use the shims to set it up for left handed use.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:50 pm 
Utility Grade

I concur. I'm a lefty who has been shooting right-handed guns, professionally and recreationally, for over 20 years. I've considered buying left handed guns, but there is not much of a market for used lefty guns. I've found that there are advantages to shooting right handed guns, such as easier loading - I can keep my master grip on any gun while reloading. If your attention is on your target, as it should be, you'll never notice the shell eject. Also, I keep the safeties set up for righty - I don't want someone else to use my gun and think the safety is on, when it is actually off. Also, I live and work in a right handed world, and if I have to pick up a partner's gun or shoot a friend's gun, I don't want any confusion over whether I placed the safety off, when I wanted it on - or worse, put the safety on when I really need it to be off. As lefties, we're smarter and adapt better than those common right-handed folks, becuase we're special :wink: . Go with the right handed gun, and don't look back.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:18 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm left eye dominant and right handed I have shot trap And skeet for 40 + yrs and have tried many guns the good old model 12 served me well as a trap gun neutral stock worked fine and being a right handed port was not a problem . As for o/u 's that was always a struggle with the cast thing ended up shooting a couple of Remington 3200's neutral cast as well worked fine I tried many auto's and always had a problem with residue coming back into my right eye I have always shot with both eyes open . Shooting left handed Ceasar Gurrini's now they work fine , Everyone's experience is a little different you will have to experiment and see what works for u . My personal advice would be to find left handed guns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Wear your eye protection and all is well

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"