CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning 625 LH
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:36 am 
Field Grade

My sporting instructor just switched me from RH to LH due to eye dominance issues. I have a RH 625 with Briley fitted ultralight tube set. I don't want to get rid of the gun for this reason. Browning now has a LH 625 and the parts department has LH stocks available. All the info I can get from browning is that the LH model has a left palm swell. Can anyone that has one comment on the cast? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Browning 625 LH
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:26 pm 
Field Grade

I don't have one or am considering one. Mainly because, like you, all I could determine was that the gun has a LH palm swell. My understanding is the stock is neutral.

Ron
Central Georgia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Yep all brownings are neutral cast/straight stock .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:39 pm 
Field Grade

I thought that was the case but my RH 625 has a very noticeable right hand cast along with the right hand palm swell. It is the model with the factory adjustable comb. The other 425/525's I have are neutral but the 625 sporting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:50 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a 625 LH and it has a left hand palm swell and left cast on to the stock.

PK

"thank you"

Last edited by PKW-Indiana on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:53 am 
Field Grade

PKW-Indiana wrote:
I have a 625 LH and it has a left hand palm swell and left cast off to the stock.

PK

cast off is RH, cast on is LH....just FYI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am a lefty too. My LH 625 12 GA had only a slight cast-on, like maybe 1/16th at the heel. My 20 and 410 625s are both RH, and they have more normal 1/8th cast-off. I can tell you that for me, shooting the RH palm swell left-handed on the small gauges is no big deal, though I preferred the feel of the LH swell -- but I do not believe it made me shoot any better either way. (Moreover, I have since moved to a 391 as my main gun and sold the LH 625, but I still own the 20 and 410 RH 625's -- ironically, I shoot the Beretta better with the stock set up like my RH O/U's, with a tad of RH cast-off. Probably more because of years of shooting RH guns.) If your RH gun does not already have it, I'd simply consider having a smith add an adjustable comb, and use that to tweak cast until you fully develop your new LH mount, then worry about a new stock once you stabilize your mount.

However, the other stock to consider, especially if you are going to pay for a new one from Browning anyway since they're close to the same price, is a PFS (Precision Fit Stock). They are totally adjustable, can be set up for right or left hand, and have a recoil system built in. They aint very pretty, but it's what I'd do to get a precise fit dialed in. My .02 FWIW...

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:02 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Jack. We have adjusted the comb and I am using it for now. I may look at the precision fit. I have not given it a look. You are right, I may need to wait and stabilize my mount some more before I go out and spend the money on a new stock. I am working with John Wooley and will spend some more time with him before I make a change. I may also also pull my SX 3 out and play with the shims to set it up for left hand.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:59 am 
Field Grade

I shoot LH and started with a 625 Golden Clays with RH palm swell and cast off. I added adjustable comb and GraCoil with Adjustable pad. Eventually I bought a LH 625 Sporter, switched the stocks and sold the 625 Sporter with the RH stock. The cast makes a big difference if your inter-pupilary distance is narrow or you have big cheeks. If the RH stock fits you, shoot it. If it doesn't, change it. You'll appreciate the difference.