CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Converting RH Benelli to Left Handed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Not giving it much thought when I bought my Benelli Vince I ended up with a right handed one and I constantly struggle with taking the safety off when I'm in the upland game fields. As a result I end up carrying the shotgun upside down so I can quickly release the safety with my thumb but it requires flipping the gun over after the release and far too often I am late on the shot.
Can the Benelli Vince safety be revearsed? Also, although very slight, the pad at the butt of the gun is right handed, can it be changed?
New to the forum and fairly new to hunting, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Converting RH Benelli to Left Handed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:45 am 
cjack wrote:
Not giving it much thought when I bought my Benelli Vince I ended up with a right handed one and I constantly struggle with taking the safety off when I'm in the upland game fields. As a result I end up carrying the shotgun upside down so I can quickly release the safety with my thumb but it requires flipping the gun over after the release and far too often I am late on the shot.
Can the Benelli Vince safety be revearsed? Also, although very slight, the pad at the butt of the gun is right handed, can it be changed?
New to the forum and fairly new to hunting, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello cjack,
I now have a Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge and have adjusted to it rather well. I assume you used the cast shims and locking plates to nudge your stock to the left. I have gotten used to carrying the gun flat and pointed up with my finger under the trigger housing to unlock the safety. Works well as I have gotten used to doing it. A good gunsmith might be able to revers it if that doesn't work for you. Obviously getting a left hand is the best option. Unfortunately Benelli only makes 12 gauge in left hand. My other shotgun is the Franchi Rennaisance 28 gauge O/U and having the trigger on top behind the break lever eliminated this problem. Good luck with, and good shooting. You might want to consider trading it in for the Montefeltro 12 left hand, or beretta or Browning left hands.
Phil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Phil,
Thanks for the info. I say I carry it upside down but in fact it is more flat as you described. I have kinda gotten used to it. Although I'm not a great shot I have done fairly well with out making any changes to the cast shims or locking plate. I may keep this gun as a turkey and duck gun and purchase an over under with the safety on top as you have for upland game. Later down the road as money permits I will find a suitable left handed auto load.
Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I'd start by calling Benelli and asking them if they have instructions for how to flip the safety; some guns are easier than others. They're usually willing to do it for you if you ship them the trigger assembly, but you'll be without your gun for three weeks.

Any gunsmith should be able to flip it for you, I'm told it takes 15 minutes at most.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:33 pm 
Field Grade

I have an SBE 11 and I switched my safety to left. Dont know about the Vinci. You will be much happier if you switch it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:03 pm 
Limited Edition

My gunsmith switched my Vinci safety in about 20 mins. & you can get a LH recoil pad for them. The LH pad for my M2 fit it.

BOB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:10 am 
Tournament Grade

Switch the safety, you'll like it much better. As for the recoil pad I never really noticed a difference in feel between the LH and RH comfortech pads. The other thing I would do is adjust the cant of the stock for a LH shooter. It will help the barrel line up with your eye better and will make a big difference in how the gun will fit you. At least it did for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:42 am 
Field Grade

Sell the RH model and purchase a left hand SBEII.

I know sounds snotty but why fight it.