Shotgun Forum banner

Browning Maxus

9K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  holocene 
#1 ·
I bought a Browning Maxus "All Purpose" a couple of weeks ago. I had been looking at new shotguns for several months and was going to get another O/U, so I went to a large gun store and tried several on for size. Bottom line was; None of them fit. Mainly too much rib meaning I would shoot high, which was the same problem I had in the past with my Citori's in the past.
So bowing to practicality seeing as this was mainly a hunting gun I bought the Maxus.
During the initial cleaning I converted the safety to LH, no problem. Then I shot the gun with the turkey choke at 16 yards. All targets shot showed the same thing; High and Left.
I installed the shim to lower the comb and add cast on and shot again. Dead center.
I could also raise the POI for rising birds if I desire.
The gun seems to throw the empty's sorta forward so no problems with the emptys ejecting in my face.
So far all I've shot are ducks to the tune of almost 2 boxes of 3" mag. It seems to perform as the adds suggest. The hotter the load the more it softens recoil and the barrel lift (jump) is noticably reduced over other shotguns I own or have owned. No problem with second and third shots even with the 3" duck loads.
While my "All Purpose" was pricey the Matte Black models can be had for under a grand which I think is a good price for a gun like this.
All in all I think the Maxus is a good choice for a Lefthander.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks - for the impressions and experiment(s) results, DarkHorse2. I've been pondering a Maxus, as I'm left-eye dominant.

Do shells, ejecting across and out from your face bother you?

My main concern has been the trigger pull (weight). How have you found the trigger to be? For example, have you found that the heavy (8 lb?) trigger makes you pull one way or another?

#3 ·
I've had my Maxus for a few years now and couldn't be happier with it, I have A LOT of 3 and 3 1/2" shells through it plus it see's the sporting clay course almost every Sunday, I've never had an issue with spent shells obstructing my view for a second shot or really notice them at all, the only issue I had with mine was the spring in the gas piston broke after about 5k rounds, I called Browing sent them the old one, and they sent me a brand new one with a what seemed heavier anodized spring to me, about 2 weeks total down time wich I didn't think was bad, and gave me a chance to get re aquainted with my old Gold Hunter. as for the trigger I've really had no issues of how hard the pull is, the only think I did was switch the safety over for lefties and started putting as many rounds as I could through it.

#5 ·
Hi all,

About 2 months ago I switched to shooting lefty due to eye dominance. After adjusting the cast on the Maxus everything seems to be going ok (scores are steadily getting back to my old form and I believe shooting with both eyes open now will help with skeet).

That said, not having the safety switched has been a bit bothersome. Does anyone have any good directions for how to switch out the safety for a lefty? Note that I am handy, but have never done any trigger work before. Feel free to tell me that I should just take it to a gun smith if needed.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

#6 ·
These are the instruction and pics I found and used to do it easily.

1. Make sure the firearm is unloaded
2. Pull the trigger assembly pins
3. Pull the assembly
4. Pull the spring in pic 1 carefully (it can launch about six feet)
5. Push the little retention pin up and slide the safety bar out
6. Push the pin back down and pull out of the hole
7. Flip the assembly over
8. Push the retention pin through the hole on the side you are looking at
9. Flip the safety bar around and slide in the hole si it show red on the correct side
10. Push the retention pin down to retain the safety bar
11. Squeeze the spring back in its place carefully (it can launch six feet)
12. Insert the assembly back in the receiver
13. Push the pins back into place
14. Cycle and ensure that it works on and off

#8 ·
+1 for the Browning Maxus for left-handers.

I've been shooting one at clays and all sorts of flying birds (mostly ducks and quail) here in Oregon for two years since my Winchester SX3 went down during a duck hunt one day and I realized I wanted a backup with similar internals and fit.

Compared to the SX3, I like the fit and finish of the Maxus internals. The Duratouch stock was a sad experiment for Browning, and mine quickly peeled off in a green mucky mess during wet duck hunts. Browning has an online portal where you can replace your stock if this is an issue. The piston, slides, and etc. are all nicer inside the Maxus. By "nicer" I mean you'll find some aluminum parts instead of plastic, and they clean up well.

On the trigger, I've never had an issue with either the SX3 or the Maxus trigger. They are usually around 5 pounds, and a smith could probably take it down further (as Mr. Wakeman would recommend.) But seriously, the perceived lock time and crispness of my Maxus trigger is the best of all my semiautos I've had. One trick I do is to put a little moly slide on the sear/trigger engagement as with my rifles.

Only gripe against the Maxus is that it's not convenient to install a Briley end cap weight as I did with the SX3. This summer, I'll likely devise some sort of magazine tube weight to put in the forearm as I want the gun to be around 8# instead of the 7# flat it is now.

The Maxus II solves the forend weight situation, but the clean sleek lines of the black and gold plain Maxus shotgun looks great to my eye.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.