It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eye Dominance....Revisited
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Anthony, I am a right handed shooter, left eye dominant.

So far I have just worked to shoot with both eyes open and "force" my right eye to keep me on target. To be honest, my scores are just so-so after a year and a half of shooting. I am not sure if my scores are an eye dominance issue or just a learning curve issue.

In your opinion, should I experiment with the dot, where do I get the dot, and where on my shooting lens do I place it? Are these dots totally opaque and block out that area totally or do they simply create a blur in the area where they are placed?

Secondly, if I don't seemingly notice any major improvement after a few rounds, would you suggest that I simply remove the dot and continue as I am presently shooting?

Many thanks and BTW, I am truly enjoying my 391 that I purchased a year ago after a few questions and some advice from you.

Post subject: Re: Eye Dominance....Revisited
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:41 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Great question... I have a lot of info on eye dominance that I have been experimenting with... the answer to your question is very complex and depends are lots of variables.... stand by I need a enough time to answer this question

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Anthony. I know it has been said in many ways, but this is a true example of what so many of us appreciate so much about your forum.

You truly seem to give your very best on here to provide the best information and best help you can to each of us while we are only able to offer you or thanks, our friendship, and our encouragement.

That is the sign of a true professional and a class individual.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:59 am 
Utility Grade

Hi

This is my first post on here. But have been reading this forum for some time.
I have been shooting for 2 years almost and have slightly left eye dominant and right handed.
Until today I have always closed one eye when pulling the trigger.
However today I had a lesson at Churchills in the UK with the main aim of shooting with both eyes open and making slight changes to my technique.
I broke clays so it does work, the main tip I can pass on is to focus on the clay, I know weve heard it all before but you really need to lock on to the clay not just look at it. Its harder to do than you think. For me anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
have slightly left eye dominant and right handed.

What does a slightly left eye dominant feel like. What eye dominance test was used to determine the condition. What I am looking for is I think I understand left, right, or center dominant but don't understand the degree (slightly) and I like to know more about your visual challenges.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:49 pm 
Utility Grade

basically its centre dominant
when I point with my left hand at a distant object my finger is slightly left of the target
when i point with my right hand its spot on.
when i first started shooting i was very much left eye dominant. so its graduallly changing which happens with age im told [in now 42]
I am trying to shoot from now on with both eyes open rather than closing an eye when pulling the trigger. the instructor remarked that it would seem that i would need to lead a l to r crosser more than a r to l. i should also shoot the right side of a driven clay.
if i stay focused on a part of the clay that should help, however my sight pictures will change.
i was practicing my gun mount today and noticed that if i was leading a right to left crosser
im looking across the gun and it appears that the target would need very little lead
im shooting tomorrow at my local shoot and i will let you know how i get on

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:17 am 
Utility Grade

W

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:30 am 
Utility Grade

Well Im back from my shoot.

And I shot the worst score ever. Started badly on the rabbit and then just started trying new things like Fitasc gunmount and just had a play around.

Didnt really give it a chance and wasnt really in the mood to shoot after the first two stands.

The sight pictures on farmiliar targets are so different that its disoriantating. I had absolutely no idea where I was shooting.

I have also taken the easy hit bead off which was ok in training but not yesterday.

I have read many many articles on eye dominance and practiced a few of the techniques to get round it.

The only conclusion I have come up with is that it is different for absolutely evreyone.And different on different targets and whether you have prescription glasses and astigmatism low gunmount premounted etc etc etc.....What works for one person will not for another.

I will try to carry on as Im always told that the targets will appear to be bigger and slower when pulling the trigger with both eyes open and closing one eye as I shoot is just another process and encourages aiming

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:01 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

I have a good response for this topic I just need a lot of time to give a good response.. After dealing with the Browning Briley floods I don't have the energy to write it up at this point after giving instruction all day...

Things to think about in the mean time:

Degree of dominance issue? I will talk about a how to determine this...

Two eyes, dot, or squint

Goals?

# of rounds shot per year

hand-eye cord.

high-gun or low-gun / mounted or un-mounted?

I may just write an article... if I decide to do so it will be a while, but worth the wait....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Anthony, and here is my situation.

Strong left eye dominance.

Fairly good hand/ eye coordination.

Goals: I left tournament bass fishing just over a year ago to seriously compete at this sport. Currently D Class, shooting 70'ish. 80 has been a barrier but I truly see myself building a good base to break through that shortly. I haven't had a target "so far" that I can not hit, however I have also never seen an easy target that I can't miss. :D

At any given time, I can run a tough station of 8 and then shoot 3 or 4 on the next easy station.

I typically shoot mounted or close to mounted.

I shot approximately 5000 rounds of ammo last year.

My concern is that I would like to find out one way or the other if my eye dominance is holding me back. If not, then great! If it is though, then I want to do something about it.

Thanks Anthony. Your help is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:15 am 
Utility Grade

Hi Anthony

Heres a brief run down

Degree of dominance issue? I will talk about a how to determine this...
centre vision changes on a regular basis
Two eyes, dot, or squint
normally squint as I pull the trigger, just trying two eyes with easy hit bead
Goals?
shooting two years, not shooting registerd comps so would like to shoot more comps and acheive b class, currently very low c class, thats uk class not sure on US
# of rounds shot per year
5000 ish
hand-eye cord.
not bad have always been a good catch
high-gun or low-gun / mounted or un-mounted?
low gun just out of shoulder, lower if I have time

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:17 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

First you need to know the degree to which your left eye is dominate. To do this experiment pointing you right finger with both eyes open at objects a various distances from 5 yards to 30 yards. Once you are touching the object close your left eye and note the shift of your finger.. The re-point and close the right eye..again document shift.. Do this same process with the left hand and note degrees of shift of your finger... This will help you determine degree of dominance issue.... If you are trying to shoot right handed with two eyes and there is significant shift when you close the left eye it may be hard to ever accomplish without using a dot....

So the decision of dot or not dot needs to be made case by case based on degree of influence from the opposite eye....

Even though it can be accomplished if there is a substantial dominance issue it will be difficult to shoot with two eyes un-obstructed due to the fact that it prohibits you from being able to know the relative position of the gun from the bird. Even though you want to see the clay as soon as you have any sense of the muzzle with an eye dominance issue your perception will not be correct. Your ability to have control with the clay would be limited.. You would need to have great cordination, shoot a lot, and stay out of the gun as much as possible to ever learn two eyes with a significant eye dominance issue... The learning curve maybe very long

The advantage to the dot is that your perception will always be correct and you will gain the ability to have some sense of bird barrel relationship. Even though most top shooters do not see the gun when they fire, they still know where it is and try to connect it with the clay at some point in relation to the barrel... The dot will allow you to accomplish this aspect.. In other words the dot may help your learn control, technique and the ability to get the gun and the bird in sync together...

If I determine one needs a dot to advance it should be in the center of the eye and as small as possible, while actually accomplishing it intent.. You can make one out of fogged scotch tape.... The size of a dime is a good starting size.... You need to keep it on for 1,000+ rounds before you can say it has or has not helped.....

If you could ever learn two eyes with no dot your long run potential would be higher than with the dot, but it is a question of many factors to know it will ever click for you... I would say most people with a significant dominance issue will see an improvement with the dot because it makes perception reality allowing one to improve technique control with the clay...

Easy way to think of it... If your goal is to some day shoot 80-90% the dot is great option, if you goal is to someday consistently shoot 90-95% then give it more time to try to use two eyes unobstructed.....

Great topic... very complex....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:44 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Tony, I will continue to use both eyes and work towards the higher long term goal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Many thanks

I took 250 carts down to my local shoot and fired off on many different targets. With both eyes open. I didnt shoot much worse than when I close an eye.
I would like others opinion on this but I now shoot quicker, dont ride the target and I am now "in the gun" less, hope that makes sense.

I also do not see much lead picture and am more instinctive.

has anyone else noticed this when going from one to two eyes?

Next time I go I will concentrate on teals and incoming quartering targets only as I am struggling with the timing of these, but that may not be a dominance issue?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:33 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Gavb: Your description of what things seems like is 100% accurate.. Best of luck... if you start to struggle with it, report back and I will give suggestions or your next options...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:44 pm 
Utility Grade

thanks anthony

back to my regular shoot this weekend for my second try at both eyes open

will keep you posted :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:59 pm 
Utility Grade

well i shot again this weekend. both eyes open and managed a 57 ex100. so not great but as someone pointed out i am basically starting over again.
on the three stands i did poorly on i was not attacking the clay and was probably looking at the lead instead of pulling the trigger, there was a sim pair right to left quartering incomers and i only managed to hit 1. after, i had a practice go and really attacked the clays and i hit 7 ex 8, without seeing any lead, when i missed them i was seeing lead? there was also a 30yrd slow teal and i missed all but one [closed one eye for that hit] while hitting the harder second edge on quartering away target. i think my left eye must of been taking over but that must of been the easiest target of the day and i was probably the only one to miss it???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Ant,
Let me know if you write that article! I'll give you 25,000 rounds worth of "wearing-the-dot" input!
C

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:21 am 
Utility Grade

here is an update.
Have shot a lot recently with both eyes and my scores seem to be very erratic whether this is an eye issue I am not sure.

Went to shoot a challenging course last week and posted a 28 ex 100. Basically I think I was a bit intimidated by the targets and was poking and hoping instead of having a gameplan for when I missed??

A lot of the targets were fast quartering incomers which I have always struggled with regardless of which method I use.
When I was missing I had no idea where my barrels were although I had never seen most of the targets before so wasnt sure where to put the gun.

I shot again yesterday and was a bit all over the place until a friend placed a spot over the left eye [ she is a cpsa instructor] i then hit 2 8`s and a 10 on the last three stands.

I did struggle on the left to right quartering away stand as i lost sight of the bird momentarily

so any tips would help here would help

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Gavb - let me offer my experience, perhaps it will be helpful.

I hunted as a teenager, with no formal training, and shot with one eye closed (typical American rifleman). I managed to hit some things but missed plenty too and never really had an idea why I was missing or hitting.

I stopped shooting for nearly 25 years and when I got back into it, I consciously made the change to two eyes and am very glad I did. I see the targets better and it is easier to keep my eye on the target and off the end of the barrel.

My shooting has improved as a result but I do have some rough patches that I believe are related to shifting eye dominance - which is something you might want to check. Depending your age and occupation, it is possible for your eye dominance to shift back and forth. I am approaching 50 and spend a lot time looking at a computer, so I am a prime candidate for this problem. When I feel that may be happening, I consciously try to pick the target up with my right eye (easier on R to L crossers obviously). Sometimes, I may even squint my left eye to force focus to my right. Usually, it doesn't take long for my right eye to take over again. The main problem is that it is not always apparent when it is happening, so I may miss a handful of targets before I realize that I may be having an eye dominance issue.

Hope this helps. Good luck