It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mental lapse?
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:49 am 
Presentation Grade

Anthony, I just finished our 6 club circuit shoot. First two posts I do well, running or dropping one bird, then go on a five to six post, shooting not well. Then go on the last leg of the shoot shooting well. I am beginning to think there is something mental going on.
One more question, and maybe a answer to my solution. What did you do help you in visually in your mind breaking the targets, as you suggested in your dvd? 10Tenner

Post subject: Mental lapse?
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:06 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Work on developing a routine that includes visualizing a part of the clay you plan to look at. You need to be very diligent with reminding yourself to keep your eye on the clay and have a specific routine for each pair. Let me know if I can be more specific.

Post subject: Re: Mental lapse?
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

deadbird995 wrote:
Work on developing a routine that includes visualizing a part of the clay you plan to look at. You need to be very diligent with reminding yourself to keep your eye on the clay and have a specific routine for each pair. Let me know if I can be more specific.

I don't think you can be more specific. I have been working on seeing a part of the bird I need to to read the angle for that specific routine before shooting. Now the being diligent with reminding myself to keep my eye on the clay will take some work. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:49 am 
Limited Edition

Anthony: Along the line of the mental game.

Advise on handling long delays. Say, 30 min and above. Shoot today, 15 stations. I had 5 to go, rolling well. Non machine related hour delay. When we started up, I thought I had done what I needed to do to, being back in the game. After two stations, I knew I wasn't. In retrospect I have thought of some things but your input I'm sure would be helpful.

Some of the issue was from the shooting end, but mainly the read and pre shot. Almost like, going through the motions.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:26 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

There is no short or correct answer to your question. That being said, anyone that has any thoughts please share.

In general you need to work on "turning it on and off in between station." It's impossible to consistently maintain concentration throughout an entire round. Be ready for your station, then get use to relaxing your mind in the down time.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:21 am 
Diamond Grade

bdog,

That is a challenging situation that we all deal with to one degree (5-15 minutes) or another (30-45 minutes). When everything is moving along its easy to keep your focus, to remember why you are there. But, when there is a delay its easy to get distracted by getting upset about the delay or simply by another shooter wanting to chat about something that can take you out of your game. I've found its important to have a routine, I use it for most practice sessions and all events. It is really based on staying focused for 2-3 hours at a time, not a visual focus but a mental focus on staying in the process. My routine starts when I warm up and ends after I've fired my final shot for that particular event. So if I'm shooting the main in the morning I do the whole routine and then if I'm shooting fitasc after lunch I start over including the warmup. I essentially look at it like going to work and avoid any distractions, I'm there for one reason which is to break as many targets as possible. This might sound like a hard core approach but what I've found is that I'm much more relaxed (and having more fun) the rest of the time when I'm not shooting at an event. Hope this helps.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire