It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: running stations
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:55 am 
Crown Grade

Hey Anthony, I just wanted say congrats on your recent win over the pond! way to go, and way to represent the USA.

I have recently got back into registered shooting after taking about 9 months off, as I had just gotten burned out, and getting into the cage was deemed by myself as "no longer fun". And it was advised to me by one of the guys I shot with, that it was time to take a break. Now in that time off I still shot some practice rounds here and there, but not nearly with the frequency that I had been.

With that being said, I earned a class drop down to C, after being in B class for sometime. Well since I got back into it, I have managed to find myself putting together decent scores in the 80's and earning a few punches.

I have noticed that I will run the first couple pairs in a station, and then when the last pair comes, I'll have a lapse and or just whiff one of the two or both. This is where it gets frustrating for me, as I have proven that I can hit them, and my break points never changed. Am I maybe shooting not to miss?

Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun again, and enjoying the shoots a lot more then I ever have, a great shooter told me, it's not what you miss in registered shoots, the difference can be what you hit and what others did not. What is your take on this?

What's your advice on running stations and putting complete stations together?

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member
"regard le putain d'oiseau"

Post subject: Re: running stations
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FOCUS

You are most likely having a lack of concentration and a false sense of confidence since you already broke the first (two or three) pair.

Just my opinion...

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Think of each pair as hitting a golf ball. Each time you get ready, go through a routine as a golfer does. If you skull the ball, forget about that one and start your routine again

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

For me it's a matter of staying focused for 3,4 or 5 pairs. If during practice you shoot a pair or two and walk away because it's too easy, you are in a way training yourself to lose focus. The other thing I notice is that I miss a bird in late pairs because I notice a random thought pass thru. If after the second pair I think "I wonder if that is the right break point" or something like that, I need to restart my entire preshot routine.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For me I get the "I got this" thus leading to not the same amount of concentration/focus which pretty much bites me EVERY time :oops: If there is still at least 1 pair left on that station(and after a quick Jerry you dumb ass-you know better) I tend to finish it out better,until the next time it happens :oops: :lol:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:52 pm 
Crown Grade

looks like from what I'm gathering, I really need to go setup at my local field, and just work on running stations.

Thanks for the help boys, truly appreciated!

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:53 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

You need to make sure that you have a very specific routine so that your mind is occupied with following the routine not worrying about running the station. Your routine will help you do the exact same thing each time both physically and mentally. Missing on the last pair is a result of your conscious mind seeing the process too clearly resulting in your eye coming off of clay to see the process or the lead too clearly.

Good topic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Could it be that you are setting up for the target wrong and making minor compensetory changes to and just exceed your 30" circle? I think your mind is constantonntly changing its inputs trying to make the shot better,but if you dont have enuff experience to know when to stop.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:03 pm 
Crown Grade

well been shooting a good amount recently, and I have tried slowing down, and doing the same thing, it's getting better. I find that compared to Fitasc, I don't really loose the focus like I will when I step into a sporting clays box/station knowing I have to shoot say 4 pairs of the same thing. Perhaps this is just my ADD kicking in. I still refuse to see a doctor regarding that, but that's on me.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is a term, coined by my daughter years ago, for this phenomenon. "You stepped out of the box before you stepped out of the box."

I've taken this on as my 2017 resolution to improve my shooting. I looked at my 2016 results and found that I missed no fewer than 8 punches by one or 2 targets.

"There is not a target on this course that I cannot hit, and no target that I cannot miss.
That's me at the top of your screen!