It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Out going quartering shot
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Anthony, a right to left out going quartering shot (4 to 10) that goes into a big oak tree out on a meadow as it turns full face about 40 yds. The tgt. is coming off a medium tower about 20' to your right and about 25' in the air.

My conscious mind sets the shot up to kill the tgt. at about 30 yds., all edge, and under full spring. I'm holding just slightly under the line about 10' past where I first see the bird clearly and will trap the tgt. as it approaches the muzzle while having a soft focus at the trap on pull.

4 pair, and I never execute the shot as planned. I break 4 tgt's. in a row as the tgt. turns full face about 40 yds. out before it goes into the oak tree. Why is that? Can your subconscious over ride your conscious mind? What's happening here?

Post subject: Re: Out going quartering shot
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:08 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

It Sounds like don't have the confidence to shoot in on edge so your subconscious waited until the target showed more face. As the target gets further away the target is also smaller so the fact that it's full face may or may not mean it's the best place to shoot it.

Your will need to commit to your break point and execute this shot in practice to develop this confidence. It should like it's a presentation that require some practice.

Post subject: Re: Out going quartering shot
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:18 am 
Diamond Grade

deadbird995 wrote:
It Sounds like don't have the confidence to shoot in on edge so your subconscious waited until the target showed more face. As the target gets further away the target is also smaller so the fact that it's full face may or may not mean it's the best place to shoot it.

Your will need to commit to your break point and execute this shot in practice to develop this confidence. It should like it's a presentation that require some practice.

Thanks Anthony and I was doing this on that type of presentation at the Nationals - trying to be sure, which is the kiss of death. More intent practice to shoot targets before transition except in rare instances. May be i've gone "overbored" on trying to get a good look at the target instead of just shooting when I see the target clearly while under power at, or very close, to the BP.

You did some good shooting at the Nationals.