It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anticipation
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Anthony,

Recently I was watching Gebbon Miles's instructional vid and he talks quite a bit about "anticipating the shot". As best as I can understand his meaning of anticipation is the movement of the body and/or gun from the point of first seeing the target to the point of insertion. He talks about how when you begin to move a car forward from a stop you ease it forward by first just taking your foot off the break and letting it slowly move before applying gas.

I'm wondering if that idea of "anticipation" correlates to your "timing of movement", I believe #3 of your five basic rules mentioned in your DVD.

That said, could you elaborate further on the move to the insertion point? Is it mostly a vertical move or is there always a little horizontal? I ask this realizing that on your mount to a fast quartering bird you do talk about mounting to the lead in what looks to be more horizontal.

I hope that makes sense?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Anticipation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:06 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

In general I start my hands when I see the flash or motion of the target to get in sync with the target through the timing of the mount or just to match speed from a pre-mounted position. Generally anticipating refers to moving the gun before you see the target. While I don't generally teaching people to move the gun before they see the target (anticipate) it is ok to do and can be an advantage if done correctly. Whatever movement I have before I see the target is not part of a conscious plan but generally something the my sub-conscious has developed over time.

I generally hold on the line so there really is not much on a vertical movement or up movement to inserting. When I and going to "run with the target my insertion is accomplished from a mount that is more square relative to the target line then move that horizontal or lateral. Another way of saying this is that my insertion occurs very close to my hold point. When I am mounting to the lead using move of a MMS i use a mount that is more horizontal or from my HP to break point.

Good questions, let me know if I can be more specific.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Anthony, that is very clear. I think I must have misunderstood "anticipation". I know, as a former skeet shooter weened on Bender vids, I do not want to move my gun before seeing the target. But I think I am understanding more clearly your 'timing the mount" to the insertion point. The only thing I wonder about is, if you are holding on the line, wouldn't you worry about making a mistake and holding too high? I thought it would be better to err a little under than over.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

To follow-up on this, I have been working on long crossers lately and working on moving my hold point out much further than traditionally -- maybe to 50% back to machine from break point instead of my traditional 75%. So if it's a 45 yard crosser than runs 30 yards from machine to break point, my hold point may be at 15 yards from machine instead of where I used to be at 8 yards with insertion at 20 or so. Now, what do I do between calling pull and picking up bird with eyes and the bird getting to my hold and then insertion point?

My natural tendency, btw, is to swing through targets, so hard to wait to get started (nervous energy) and avoid swinging too quickly.

hope that makes some semblance of sense.

Thanks.

Beretta 687 EELL/Briley Chokes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:11 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Are you shooting crossers with the gun slightly out of the pocket of your shoulder or more of a pre-mount?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Pre-mount with my head lifted for better vision (recent change from pre-mounting and then lowering barrel for vision).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:02 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

You will need to move your hands slower and work on being in sync to accomplish the correct insertion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Anthony, I have a "violent" shooting style according to my buddies, so smooth and slow will be a challenge, but I like the "in sync" thought (but not the boy band). Will get to work.