It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Handguns, Shotguns and Cross Dominance
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:35 pm 
Field Grade

Hey Anthony,

I'm right handed and left-eye dominant/center vision. I shoot sporting clays right handed with both eyes open. I average ~80/100, and I think the only thing really holding me back from scoring even higher is sustained mental focus throughout the round. In other words, I haven't noticed any real negative effect on my scores because of my "vision problem".

I'm about to purchase my first handgun and will likely shoot it right handed, with the left eye looking down the sights. Do you think this could have an adverse effect on my shotgun shooting?

I understand you may not have an answer because we're crossing into a different shooting territory, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Handguns, Shotguns and Cross Dominance
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:47 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

I don't know much about shooting handguns. Will Fennell know much more than me about pistols. I would ask him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey Jag...with respect to cross dominance and pistol shooting...we addressed that during one of our episodes on PowerFactor (you can watch the segment below). Here we talked about how pistol shooters deal with cross dominance (and I demonstrated a very simple way to simply "move the gun" vs head tilting or canting) and challenges faced by shotgunners.

I can't say if learning to shoot a pistol with cross dominance will hurt your shotgunning (I'm not cross dominant) but I can tell you from personal experience (about 20 years of IPSC pistol shooting at a very high level) that the more you become "precision" oriented (aka sighting a handgun) the more trouble you will have when it comes to shotgunning. The best advice I could offer is learn to become a "target focused" handgunner (look through the sights at the target and peripherally "see the sights"). Even though I adopted this method about 5 years before I quit shooting IPSC competitively, I still mentally struggle with being "aware" (not looking..but excessive awareness) of where the end of the gun is.

You'll have to fast forward to about the 10:50 mark.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:40 pm 
Field Grade

Anthony, thank you. I will reach out to him.

StevenZ, wow, thanks. That's really helpful information. I'll watch the video shortly. I've seen some of your other video and enjoy the content you all create. Keep it up!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:16 pm 
Crown Grade

StevenZ wrote:
Hey Jag...with respect to cross dominance and pistol shooting...we addressed that during one of our episodes on PowerFactor (you can watch the segment below). Here we talked about how pistol shooters deal with cross dominance (and I demonstrated a very simple way to simply "move the gun" vs head tilting or canting) and challenges faced by shotgunners.

I can't say if learning to shoot a pistol with cross dominance will hurt your shotgunning (I'm not cross dominant) but I can tell you from personal experience (about 20 years of IPSC pistol shooting at a very high level) that the more you become "precision" oriented (aka sighting a handgun) the more trouble you will have when it comes to shotgunning. The best advice I could offer is learn to become a "target focused" handgunner (look through the sights at the target and peripherally "see the sights"). Even though I adopted this method about 5 years before I quit shooting IPSC competitively, I still mentally struggle with being "aware" (not looking..but excessive awareness) of where the end of the gun is.

You'll have to fast forward to about the 10:50 mark.

Steve, I came to shotguns from a rifle pistol background. Nothing about rifle pistol shooting transfers except keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. It took a long time to learn to ignore the shotgun and focus on the target.

Once I got it, it was an amazing experience. I was working with an instructor who just kept saying look at the bird over and over and I finally did and targets started breaking easier and with harder breaks.

He said you're an old pistol shooter, lets go shoot pistols. He had two 1911's one with target grade sights and a smooth top, no sights which was/is his carry gun. We hung up two paper plates and shot back at the 25 line. With the sights, I put all ten rounds in the plate...used the whole plate but I got them in there.

with the smooth top, he drew a red dot in the center of the plate, told me to ignore the gun and look at the red dot. Just focus, point, and fire one shot at a time. All ten shots centered in that plate with a nice tighter group. That was the day I stopped paying so much attention to pistol sights! Look, point, and pull is all you need to do at normal pistol range.

Grip does become more important...but here again, I learned from shotgunning. Fit the gun...moleskin and fiction tape can make a pistol shoot a whole lot faster....heck, most of my hunting rifles have a ugly mess of cardboard, duct tape, moleskin stuck all over the comb. But when I mount that rifle my eyeball is right behind that cross hair...ain't no ducking bobbing or weaving around to get behind that scope, it's right there....now you may not even be able shoot that rifle! But, that's OK, it ain't your gun!

Short story...shotgunning can make you a better all around shooter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

HI Mismost...I think generally speaking, you are correct, that casual pistol shooters shouldn't really be affected much transitioning to shotguns. I think for hardcore competitive pistol shooters that may not be the case (at least it wasn't in my case). When I quit IPSC, I was a couple percentage points from GrandMaster shooting Limited Division (aka notch/post sights). Toward the end of my "career" I somehow transitioned from being a "front sight" shooter to a target focus shooter..but to do that means you peripherally look through the sights at the target..but you are very much aware of where the sights are and how they are aligned. In my case, I believe my mind has been so conditioned to that over years of shooting, that its still trying to see some reference.

I had a chance one day to shoot a friends Open gun (red dot sight with a compensator on it) and it was almost like cheating..you simply put the dot on the plate and pulled the trigger...super easy. With an open gun in competition, it isn't about accuracy (because everyone is extremely accurate), its about how fast you can go. IPSC shooting is about speed and accuracy....you need both to win.

I'm taking an full day class with Anthony later this fall...really looking forward to that...hopefully I don't drive Anthony nuts :-)