It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Change in shooting approach?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

I recently purchased your video. I have been studying it pretty intensely. Probably the point you emphasize most (other than focusing on the bird) is to time a low gun mount to intercept the bird if possible. It seems to be helping me. I have a couple of other videos by top shooters and yours is by far the best for me.
Even though I have always shot mostly from a low gun mount I have trouble mounting in time to intersect the bird at the point you suggest. I am old and slow, and do not have great eyesight, which is probably part of my problem. I tend to compensate by making more of a diagonal move to the bird, then running with the bird and using as a breakpoint a point which tends to be the latest point at which I see the bird really well. So far, this seems to work better than a high gun. Any thoughts on this?
My other question is based on the age of video and any changes you would make today. It is over 10 years since it was filmed. You have coached a lot of shooters since then. I do not live in an area where I can see you shoot, but in watching you on the internet you seem to be using a high gun more often. (Maybe just faster birds and a short window?) If you were making your video today, would you change anything in the style or approach you recommend?

Post subject: Re: Change in shooting approach?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:58 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Great question... the short answer is yes i'm a better shooter and better coach than I was 10 years ago. I can only hope to say the same 10 years from now. I'll give you a good detailed response when time allows

Post subject: Re: Change in shooting approach?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:42 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Make sure you are holding the gun very loose in your hands and use a very short un-mounted gun. Be ready to move on the flash and don't be afraid if your hands move slightly before you actually see the clay. At any rate moving slight diagonal is fine. The square move just forces you to match the speed sooner and gets you connected sooner. Thinking of it a a square connection is very useful for new shooters to improve their ability to connect and match speed. More experienced shooters can move more diagonal with success.

On targets that give me plenty of time to run with I still mount pretty square. On targets that require me mount and fire I use a more diagonal move. In general I use a pretty short mount on most shots, but very loose in my and hands and not in the pocket of my shoulder.

I still believe a square move forces you to match the speed or your brain recognizes the difference between the speed of the barrel and speed of the target. This is why this approach is so successful in training shooters to become great crossing target shooters.