It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Over Head targets?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Anthony, the course setters are getting more creative. This last course had three stations with pairs coming from behind cedars tree that are not tall. The gun hold would be 10-11 O'clock from left or 1-2 O'clock from right, with 12 o'clock being straight up. As I said pairs coming from behind, and may come on a angle. The window to shoot the second bird is short. One pair was on edge, making second bird very difficult. The other pair dropped behind trees in front. The last pair the second bird was a long shot going away. As I said they were coming behind trees over Head. I had sense that I may have been holding to far out from the edge of the tree not wanting the bird to beat me. I was struggling with the first bird. Seems as though I was trying to measure the first bird incerting infront, but by instinct was hitting most second bird. Shooting premounted. Were would you recommend hold point back into the tree or in front of the tree the birds are coming from. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 10Tenner

Post subject: Re: Over Head targets?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Pre-mount and lift your head off stock to see the target coming. Your hold point needs to be on line and back as far as you can hold without getting beat. Time your head to the stock to insert to the lead and fire as gun hits your face.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Anthony, that sounds so simple, but I will have to work on the timing. I tend to ride the bird and bead check. Thanks! 10Tenner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Anthony, I did as you suggested in last Saturday's shoot. Two stations were the bird came from behind at the 1 O'clock. Did not miss one. Now the timing of firing as my cheek hits the stock will have to be learned habit. 10Tenner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:14 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Great news