It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to treat a late dropping crosser
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Anthony, I recently had the opportunity to borrow a shot cam and use it for a while. I set up a number of shots I was having trouble with in hopes I could see where the problems lie. One shot I repeatedly have trouble with is my approach to a dropping (usual distant over 30 yards) crosser, usually as the second bird of a simo pair. It looks to me as if I, more often than not, shoot over it. My thought is that I'm seeing it as a crosser, getting in front, running with the bird and… I pull the trigger but it has dropped under the line. So I'm wondering if perhaps I should view this bird more as I would on the tail end of a chandelle, getting more under it and coming down with it a bit? I don't know if I'm making any sense but this sure is a puzzle to me. Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: How to treat a late dropping crosser
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sprinter, until Anthony comes along, the forward lead at this late stage of the flight path is not that important, your choke will take care of that. See some daylight under the clay and it's yours. So if your on the front edge and a little daylight underneath, you've got it. Think of the clay with a 30" circle just out in front of it and you can now only focus on the underneath kill zone - it works for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:20 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks. Wouldn't you know there was a pair of dropping crossers at yesterdays meet. I just can't seem to get under the buggers. I keep getting out in front like they are skeet shots. I would nail the first as it was still a bit more of a straight crosser (still only took the top off) and then miss the second.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:28 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Sprinter make sure you give yourself a good visual in your mind for the line of the clay that you are going to insert the gun on. For example is it going to 4:00 or 5:00 and give yourself a good accordingly.

Also on this shot one of the biggest mistakes is not matching targets speed or not getting any feel with the target. If you are too worried about the space you might not get a good connection with the target then fail to get any "feel". Think of the shot as two part: insert first then trust the eyes. So barrel awareness on the insert then trust the eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Anthony.