It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Confidence
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This topic derived from a recent FB discussion.

As we practice, we build confidence in our ability and everything that leads us to that level; routine, equipment, approach, etc. In order to attain a certain amount of "success" in the game, we have to build that confidence level so that it overcomes fear and doubt. I get that (although I am still working on it).

However, once you attain a level of confidence in a presentation, when do you realize that maybe you have become over confident? The obvious answer is, "Duh, you missed it", but I don't think one miss equates to throwing your whole plan out and going into fear mode. The confident shooter recognizes "something" didn't go according to plan and hopefully you know what that "something" is and correct it. But then you correct it and miss again.

A personal example: Quartering targets are an X in the bag. But it took Eddav72 to recognize that I had a problem with quartering targets from the left, but not the right. I knew quartering targets were in my wheelhouse, yet got skunked more than once. That is one of the things we worked on last Summer. I was so confident in quartering targets that I didn't recognize I was consistently missing certain types of quartering targets.

So the question is, at what point do we reflect on our performance and let the doubt creep back in?

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021 #marist89ForAC

Post subject: Re: Confidence
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:56 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

You should always know your weakest target(s) relative to your peers and practice those the most.

Over confidence can cause poor routine and being careless but discipline should help take care of thAt. I rarely miss from over confidence because of my discipline to follow routine.

If your confident and miss then miss again either your plan is wrong from misreading the clay or your technique somehow as a flaw it. This assumes you are doing what you need to visually.