It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quartering Incomer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bad, bad, bad, today on a quartering incomer described as follows:

trap is at 2 o'clock and the tgt. is going to 8 o'clock with about 50 yds. total distance from plate to the ground. Max. height is about 3 1/2 ft.

The tgt. hits the ground about 12 yds. out and 5 yds. to the left of the stand. Coming off the plate the target is hard to see partially covered by a tree but breaks into the clear about 25 yds. off the plate. It's slowing down considerably after the 25 yds. and is now in transition as it curls down and into you.

5 hits out of a box. Can you step in here Anthony and offer a suggestion? A shooting buddy who had no trouble with it said afterwards, shoot it at 25 yds. off the plate coming from under it and right at it. Very little gun movement, more of a spot shot.

Post subject: Re: Quartering Incomer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If the trap is at 2 O'clock and the target is going to 8 O'clock, I would consider that more of a crosser with just a little incoming component. What distance were you trying to shoot the bird? Were you trying to give it any sort of lead? If so, where and how much? Also, what choke were you using?

If you were shooting the target late, there's a good chance, IMO, that you were shooting behind it. The reason being that on incoming crossers like you describe, the closer you let the target get to you, the more it turns into a pure crosser, and crossers require some lead. Also, of course, the target is dropping so you need to be under it.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with Ulysses; it depends where you're shooting it. The more it comes in, the faster your gun has to move.

I'd only add that at 3 1/2 feet off the ground, you'll also want to make sure you're not shooting over it.

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021 #marist89ForAC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:49 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Kill it where you see it the best... if it’s not that far insert on the back edge. For low incoming targets many shooters (myself) need some muzzle awareness.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks Anthony.

I see this target the best, and it's difficult to see as it moves along it's flight path, but when it's about 15 yds. from the stand and 2' off the ground it's big. Guess I should have positioned my body/feet to use that as my breakpoint and used a spreader. The target setter got me on this one.