ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Behind the Break podcast
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:40 am 
Limited Edition

Anthony,
Thank you for the recent Behind the Break podcast. You certainly doled out extremely useful information as well as cemented your credentials as a coach/instructor.

I for one certainly found a lot of takeaways, for instance, it is nice to know that the top shooters feel fear as much as the rest of us and it is how we all deal with that fear that often determines who excels.

One question from a comment I caught which you briefly mentioned. You stated all top shooters "get into their gun" and mentioned showing your students a picture showing this. This was in conjunction with " innovator or idiot, do what the best do".

Would you suggest shortening LOP so one can get more into the gun? I tried "crawling" into the stock to accomplish this but it feels uncomfortable. With that said, I do feel more "one with the gun" when doing this.

I pulled up pics of you, Gebben Miles, Cory Kruse, Mike Wilgus, Zach Kienbaum, Pat Lieske, Theo Ribbs, etc while shooting and yes, you all have the trigger hand mostly touching the nose.

Have you considered training more instructors( with locations throughout the USA) in your methodology and offering your coach/instructor skills to more clients?

Again, the information you shared is very much appreciated by everyone with a passion for this sport! Thank you!

Dave

Post subject: Re: Behind the Break podcast
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't want to speak for Anthony, but I can give you my experience after having "a few" lessons with him.

When I first started getting serious about this game, I bought a gun with custom wood. The well known gun fitter had me at a LOP of 17". I shot it for a while and went from E to AA with it, so it must have been pretty close.

One day about 4 years ago, I was at a lesson with Anthony and I asked him about my gun fit because I wasn't getting the results I wanted. He watched me shoot and pulled out a screwdriver and pulled my recoil pad off. Through the lesson, I thought that I was getting a better connection with the bird. At the end of the lesson he showed me some pictures of the top shooters and the relation of their eye to their back hand, and it was clear the shorter LOP was what other people were doing. I continued shooting without a recoil pad for another two months before I had it chopped.

Fast forward to this year when I bought a new gun. I took the factory stock and had a spacer put on so that my LOP is 15 1/2" now. It is not a perfect fit, but in a lesson with Anthony in December he changed my mount a little bit (which I should have been doing anyway) to be more into the gun.

So do you want to change your gun? I don't know. But I do know you can take your recoil pad off and see how it goes.

Anthony does have a network of Instructors. Check out https://clayshootinginstruction.com/.

-- Zig Ziglar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:18 pm 
Limited Edition

marist89 wrote:
I don't want to speak for Anthony, but I can give you my experience after having "a few" lessons with him.

When I first started getting serious about this game, I bought a gun with custom wood. The well known gun fitter had me at a LOP of 17". I shot it for a while and went from E to AA with it, so it must have been pretty close.

One day about 4 years ago, I was at a lesson with Anthony and I asked him about my gun fit because I wasn't getting the results I wanted. He watched me shoot and pulled out a screwdriver and pulled my recoil pad off. Through the lesson, I thought that I was getting a better connection with the bird. At the end of the lesson he showed me some pictures of the top shooters and the relation of their eye to their back hand, and it was clear the shorter LOP was what other people were doing. I continued shooting without a recoil pad for another two months before I had it chopped.

Fast forward to this year when I bought a new gun. I took the factory stock and had a spacer put on so that my LOP is 15 1/2" now. It is not a perfect fit, but in a lesson with Anthony in December he changed my mount a little bit (which I should have been doing anyway) to be more into the gun.

So do you want to change your gun? I don't know. But I do know you can take your recoil pad off and see how it goes.

Anthony does have a network of Instructors. Check out https://clayshootinginstruction.com/.

Jeff,
Thanks for the insight.
This was a tidbit of info that I believe was missed by most when listening to the podcast but I think it was very important. I had lessons with several National Champs and most, back a decade ago, were advocating longer LOP's.

The gun I currently shoot ( Perazzi w/glued on factory recoil pad)has a 3/4" less LOP than guns I've owned/own and it feels better than my longer LOP guns ever did. I would like to take this a bit further and go another 1/4"-1/2" to get that "into the gun" feel. Right now I have to "crawl" into the stock to get that feel and it is uncomfortable.

It seems as though this takes the gun out of the picture and allows one to see the target better.

Re: Anthony's other coaches, I was suggesting coached trained in and by Anthony spread throughout the US to help more shooters, namely here in Wisconsin.(insert self serving emoticon)

Thanks again Jeff,
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:31 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

A shorter LOP would not hurt if it is comfortable to be the the front of the stock with the longer LOP. Jeff's suggest to shoot some without the recoil pad is a great means to get an idea or the feel without making a modifications.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shooting with no recoil pad? Do you get beat up or not notice it is gone?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 pm 
Limited Edition

JerseyJim wrote:

Jersey,
Anthony's talking about merely trying it without the pad to shorten LOP and see if how it feels to the individual. He isn't telling you to shoot permanently without a pad.
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JerseyJim wrote:

I shot with no recoil pad for 2 months. Didn't even notice it.

-- Zig Ziglar