ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun mount after calling pull
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Anthony,

If you could spare a few minutes I’m interested in your opinion regarding how to mount the gun after calling pull shooting gun down. I’m a new shotgun shooter. I want to get the fundamentals right so I don’t have to unlearn bad habits.

Gil in this clip according to Ben Husthwaite used a sliding mount which in Ben’s eyes is a mistake.

https://youtu.be/scGHmUXJfj8

Ben’s clip on gunmount from 1min 20 secs where he says sliding causes loss of your hold point.

https://youtu.be/KOU3dUr5mb4

The two contrasting methods have me confused on whether one is right or wrong or is it personal preference?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Gun mount after calling pull
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I certainly won't answer for Anthony, but I will give you my perspective on it.

Gil's video is more along the lines of what I have been taught. The gun mount is timed to get in sync with the bird. When the gun starts moving, your body starts moving (assuming it is that type of target).

I shoot mostly English Sporting and not much FITASC, so there may be a difference in terminology/tactics.

-- Zig Ziglar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:42 am 
Utility Grade

marist89 wrote:
I certainly won't answer for Anthony, but I will give you my perspective on it.

Gil's video is more along the lines of what I have been taught. The gun mount is timed to get in sync with the bird. When the gun starts moving, your body starts moving (assuming it is that type of target).

I shoot mostly English Sporting and not much FITASC, so there may be a difference in terminology/tactics.

Thanks for the reply. The way Gil does it also what I’ve been doing as well. After watching the other clip it had me wondering whether this was the right of wrong way. Like I said in the original post is it personal preference? Interested what Anthony thinks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:24 am 
Limited Edition

While your waiting for Anthony to chime in...this might be a helpful as to what he may say:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 5&t=452343

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:11 pm 
Utility Grade

StevenZ wrote:
While your waiting for Anthony to chime in...this might be a helpful as to what he may say:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=452343

Thanks for the link. Can you explain what a square move is? Google isn’t helping me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Chiro wrote:
StevenZ wrote:

Thanks for the link. Can you explain what a square move is? Google isn’t helping me.

It's essentially what Ben was saying about mounting the gun to the bird. If you imagine a pure crossing target, you mount the gun directly to the bird (or some distance in front of it based on speed and distance) and don't move the gun laterally during the mount. You then run with it a little bit getting in sync with the bird and then pull SLOWLY away from it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:47 pm 
Utility Grade

StevenZ wrote:
Chiro wrote:
StevenZ wrote:

It's essentially what Ben was saying about mounting the gun to the bird. If you imagine a pure crossing target, you mount the gun directly to the bird (or some distance in front of it based on speed and distance) and don't move the gun laterally during the mount. You then run with it a little bit getting in sync with the bird and then pull SLOWLY away from it.

Ok I get it now. Thanks for the explanation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:44 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Hopefully with the link and other explanation of those adding to this post you realize that Ben and Gil are talking about two different concepts. Gil is talking about how to mount the gun and Ben is talking about how to insert the gun. The link to my comments on square vs. lateral/diagonal is what Ben is explaining.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:37 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the reply Anthony. I was too silly to realise to work out Gil and Ben were demonstrating to different thing. I understand what your saying now. The other posters and link above has helped a lot too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:05 am 
Presentation Grade

Chiro wrote:
Thanks for the reply Anthony. I was too silly to realise to work out Gil and Ben were demonstrating to different thing. I understand what your saying now. The other posters and link above has helped a lot too.

Glad you’ve seen the difference but not sure I do. BH mentions ‘sliding’ and that sounds to me like the diagonal move GA proposes in his somewhat dated video which isn’t overly reflective of his current approach.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:09 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Gil is talking about getting the gun mounted. In other words his explanation is more about how to have a good mount. The process of mounting itself. Ben is talking more about inserting the gun and the direction the barrel is going relative to the line of the clay. Ben is saying to avoid moving from the hold point to the break point (with muzzle) during the mount/insert.

My barrel stays in area of hold point like Ben describes when I have time to run with the clay. My barrel travels toward the break point when I have less time and need to insert to the lead and fire.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

Anthony's video, even though old, really focuses on this issue and strongly encourages a "square" mount if time is available.