ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reflections on the new DVD
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

So I'm really missing my lesson this Spring... But.... I have kind of made up for it by buying the new advanced DVD. It's not the same as one on one but it's almost like taking a lesson and getting to go home with tons of notes. I've watched it once and now plan on going back and really digging into it chapter by chapter.

One thing I got out of it right off were your comments on the difference between practice and competition. I've struggled for ever with the concept of shooting with the subconscious mind and yet practicing with what appears to be a deliberate conscious effort and barrel awareness. When you said that you won't shoot as well in practice because of the conscious effort that really sunk home. In practice sometimes I'm trying so hard to "meet the bird" and then pull away that it just seems to run counter to what I try to do in competition which is, when I call pull, to just just let all thoughts go and trust my subconscious.

If I understand what you say correctly, in practice you are training your hands, your eyes and most of all your subconscious so that when you DO go to a competition you can just let all thoughts go and the subconscious will have the experience to know what to do. The only conscious thoughts are in the set up...before you call pull.

-Peyton

Post subject: Re: Reflections on the new DVD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:38 am 
Presentation Grade

Anthony, I have a question. At some point in the video you say that you do not agree with those that believe they need to start low and ahead on looping crossers. That you "get on the line". I've always heard that your gun should move in a straight line. If this was true then it would seem to me that, in order to shoot a crosser after it has begun its downward trajectory, you would have to begin lower in order to meet the bird at the break point. I'm not sure I'm explaining it well but if I understand you correctly wouldn't that mean, if you see the bird best after it's apex and want to break it on it's downward slope, you would have to meet the bird a bit before it's apex and then move your gun in a slight arc in order to stay on the birds track? I hope you understand what I'm asking because this has been a recurring problem in my shooting, exactly how to approach dropping loopers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:21 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

For most part always start on the line of bird. If the bird is going down then “in front” is under the target say 8:00 or 4:00. I don’t suggest cutting across the line.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks. Within that "segment" there would be a bit of an arc in the gun movement then? I'm just trying to get it clear in my mind that the gun does not always go in a straight line.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:45 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Slightly. I would guess arc is covered partly covered by the pattern unless you use entire segment from start to ground.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:23 am 
Presentation Grade

Got it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:27 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

U bet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:30 am 
Presentation Grade

OK... one last question (hope you don't mind)... On a chandelle, the top "segment" or "flat part", sometimes it's not all that flat but has quite a curve to it. If that's where you choose to break it aren't you cutting across? If I hold at the beginning of that section and run with the bird it seems that I have two choices, to either stay on the path of the bird, which would be an arc, or cut across (bisecting the top of the cone if you will). Generally I have gone the route of cutting across but am not always successful, especially on targets past 50 yards. I know I'm probably asking you to repeat yourself because in a lesson with you we had a great chandelle where we had three stations, one shooting it on the way up, one in the middle and one on the way down. But I would just like to get this clear in my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:29 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

If lead is small at top section I come from behind it so I don’t miss the line

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks.