It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shorgun Storage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:24 am 
Field Grade

Since a number of explanations regarding a cracked butt stock by the receiver is due to the oils dripping into the stock, what is the best way to store? Horizontally or vertically?? Additionally, I keep my guns at my cabin which may fluctuate in teperature 30 degrees in a day. Can that be detremental to the gun?

Post subject: Re: Shorgun Storage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:02 am 
Crown Grade

The simple solution is quit over oiling the gun. After you apply oil blow out and wipe any excess. A light film of oil is all that is needed. You might also consider using a dry lube.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:11 am 
Field Grade

Try hanging them in a cheap zipper case stock up from the closet rod (only works if wife lets you or you live alone).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:08 am 
Crown Grade

what oletymer says is true. Should you also have a problem with humidity, you may also need a drying agent. Silica gel works good. Some folks have had good luck with dehumidifiers / heat tubes. I have not. Excess humidity will also cause the growth of mold. No or low humidity gives you no mold & no rust.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:29 pm 
Crown Grade

nhithaca wrote:
Try hanging them in a cheap zipper case stock up from the closet rod (only works if wife lets you or you live alone).

With all due respect, I've seen storing guns in zipper cases lead to unhappy surprises. I am more comfortable keeping my guns in a safe with a Goldenrod and a desiccant bag.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Remington has a device you put in your gun safe that absorbs water. When it turns a different color you just plug in in a wall socket and it dries it out. You can get a stack on metal gun safe for 89$ if you watch for sales. Regards RB