It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ Sterling: What can I expect?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:50 am 
Field Grade

This is a follow up to my post on shotgun opinions.

I shoot about 3,000 rounds of skeet a year. Recently I bought a CZ Sterling. CZ told me, based on their tests, I should get at least 50,000 rounds through the gun before I have any trouble.

Some folks seem to think I made a mistake, that I should have bought at least a Browning Citori, as the CZ will not hold up. (I am retired and living on fixed income.)

I do shoot two different chokes for skeet, so I am concerned about the barrel selector.

I guess what I'm asking is: what are your experiences with Huglu shotguns? How well have they held up.

Thanks,

Randy

Post subject: Re: CZ Sterling: What can I expect?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:36 am 
Diamond Grade

Well, I can't speak specifically to the Sterling but see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=137&t=189338
cdb has north of 30,000 rounds through that Canvasback with no issues so far. I have a CZ Mallard that has roughly 7,500 rounds through it with no issues. There are other threads here in this forum about different CZ guns.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nobody can accurately tell you that you will get "at least 50,000 rounds" through ANY gun before you have trouble. Guns are mechanical devices and some will fail early while some will far exceed expectations.

The Huglu, is apparently, an above-average gun for its price point; but it is a price-point gun. That means that some corners had to be cut somewhere to get to the price point. So, it may not have the top-quality materials or workmanship of a higher price-point gun, and the odds of experiencing a problem are probably greater. Will it last 50,000 rounds? Maybe. The odds would be better with a more proven product like Browning, Beretta, etc. When you buy on the low end of the scale, you roll the dice. Sometimes you win; sometimes you don't.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Dutchess County, NY - the northern most county of Alabama
Yeah, my 2008 DeHaan (huglu) is a real POS, 10-15K rounds through it - I haven't keep records except the number of flats shot. I might have to give it its annual real good cleaning once again. Darn warranty is long gone too, I guess. So many of us have been shooting these guns for years and each and every one has had failure after failure - not.

But Oldskeeter is correct, any gun can be a lemon including those from Italy. Just ask cdb about his wonderful "B" gun that has no defined warranty and the cost to keep it working vs. CZ's 5 year warranty.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote: Some folks seem to think I made a mistake, that I should have bought at least a Browning Citori, as the CZ will not hold up. (I am retired and living on fixed income.) Unquote

Never pay any attention to what "some folks say"...........ONLY IF they have owned and shot that brand/gauge/etc., of shotgun!! Even then each firearm is different.

You bought that shotgun for a reason............use it until is is no longer usable................then fix or replace.

CZ's are still manufactured by Huglu???

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:51 am 
Field Grade

Yes, my CZ is manufactured by Huglu.
Randy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a 12 ga mallard with one thousand rounds through it and its going strong. Keep it clean and shoot the heck out of it, my 2 cents...

Cz Mallard
Browning B2000
Charles Daly Field III o/u