It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me pick a CZ O/U =)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:02 am 
Utility Grade

Hi All. Brand new to the forum. Was hoping to lean on your experiences regarding the CZ/Huglu O/U shotguns.

I only care about reliability & function. I couldn't care less if the thing was hot pink with green barrels so long as it shoots straight and is durable. I shoot clays probably twice a month with a rented or borrowed shotgun. I don't hunt at all. I'm on a $1000 budget BUT I'd rather pick up something cheaper if the only difference is aesthetic.

I'm looking at: CZ Drake, Canvasback, Redhead, and Upland. Are any of these different in terms of build quality or function?

I'm leaning towards the Drake or Canvasback just because they don't use ejectors.

Post subject: Re: Help me pick a CZ O/U =)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If I recall correctly, the Drake replaced the Canvasback and has the new design action. I can't comment on whether it is an improvement or not.

The Canvasback and Redhead have the earlier design (103) action, and I believe the Upland Ultralight may share that action as well, but in a light weight alloy receiver. Right off I would disqualify the Upland Ultralight for clay shooting just because it is so light.

The Canvasback and Redhead have been pretty reliable guns. I have a 12 gauge Canvasback that I bought strictly for sporting clays and have found it to be a reliable gun. One of our regulars who has been absent lately has a Canvasback with over 31,000 documented rounds through it without a hiccup. I thought his thread was a sticky topic on page 1 of this forum.

Anyway, sounds to me like you are a perfect candidate for a Canvasback.

Edit: Here's a link to cdb1097's thread on reliability and his Canvasback:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=189338

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

Post subject: Re: Help me pick a CZ O/U =)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John has you covered erikd. Canvasback or Redhead and you should be fine.

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

OAG = Obama Almost Gone