It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2018 MLK Weekend Forum Pheasant Hunt
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:12 am 
Crown Grade

The Huglu forum 2018 pheasant hunt will be on the Saturday and Sunday, 13th and 14th of January 2018 at 4-B's Hunting Resort in Stark City, MO. Planned arrival can be anytime on the Friday before the hunt. The Monday MLK holiday gives you a travel day without more vacation time used. We usually get the group together for dinner at that Cajun restaurant in Monett that Friday evening and Hal Brown will be doing his famous game bird dinner on Saturday evening. Of course the guests of honor are those hard flying long tailed rascals that manage to amaze us every year.

I talked to Hal the other day and he has Tom, Larry and me with deposits in so far. If you want to attend, a $100 deposit will hold your slot for a really fun weekend with a lot of hunting and visiting with other forum members in a superb hunting lodge setting. Everyone who has attended this agrees that the lodge environment and the great bird hunting combine to make this a super fun weekend. If you're considering this hunt for the first time with the group, just jump in with both feet, it doesn't get any better. Where else can you hunt behind Clyde the Barbarian, Bode the Wonderdog, and Rebel the Rabblerouser? Bring your bird dog if you have one.

4-B's Hunting Resort
15157 Walleye Road
Stark City, MO 64866

Post subject: Re: 2018 MLK Weekend Forum Pheasant Hunt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Not missing it this year.

Drang nach Beck's!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:04 am 
Crown Grade

Kannoncocker wrote:
Not missing it this year.

The weather forecast last year had me a bit concerned also, but it actually turned out to be a great weekend if you could tolerate a couple of light rain showers. The major ice storm that was forecast stayed north of us all weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Interested, but not likely to make it this year. Any information on the total costs would help me start saving for 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:47 am 
Crown Grade

wingshot wrote:
Interested, but not likely to make it this year. Any information on the total costs would help me start saving for 2019.

The way it usually goes is two nights lodging at $25 a night in the 4-B's bunkrooms and 4 unguided hunts at $115 a hunt for a total of $510 for the weekend. That gets each hunter 16 pheasants for the weekend. The unguided hunts are predicated on enough members bringing dogs so we don't have to pay the $160 for a guided hunt. Last year we had to go with about 50/50 on guided and unguided because of weather and illness cancellations. Friday night we usually eat before arrival or get together in Monett for dinner. All meals are provided on Saturday and Sunday, departure either Sunday evening or Monday (MLK holiday) your choice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:52 pm 
Field Grade

Hmmmmm I'm thinking I might make that trip this time, I'll bring my 2 dogs. I hope they can figure out what a pheasant smells like.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:10 am 
Limited Edition

cattoon wrote:
Hmmmmm I'm thinking I might make that trip this time, I'll bring my 2 dogs. I hope they can figure out what a pheasant smells like.

It'd be fun to watch them figure that out!

Drang nach Beck's!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:31 am 
Field Grade

Sounds like a fun and interesting hunt. Also a good opportunity to give that 16 gauge NID a workout on the pheasant.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
The way it usually goes is two nights lodging at $25 a night in the 4-B's bunkrooms and 4 unguided hunts at $115 a hunt for a total of $510 for the weekend. That gets each hunter 16 pheasants for the weekend. The unguided hunts are predicated on enough members bringing dogs so we don't have to pay the $160 for a guided hunt. Last year we had to go with about 50/50 on guided and unguided because of weather and illness cancellations. Friday night we usually eat before arrival or get together in Monett for dinner. All meals are provided on Saturday and Sunday, departure either Sunday evening or Monday (MLK holiday) your choice.

Thanks for the information. Not likely to bring my dog for that far of trip, but never know until the time comes.

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:50 pm 
Field Grade

http://www.4-bshunting.com/home.html
Thought I would post this to help anyone who has interest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:57 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

So I was looking at the 4-B's website linked to above (which is new and improved since the last time I looked at it, BTW), and I'm looking at the pictures at the bottom of the page and I'm ready to get all indignant that they didn't have a picture of Zeke and me when, lo and behold, there was one! That's picture number 3, by the way... :D 8)

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 am 
Crown Grade

BPGuy wrote:
So I was looking at the 4-B's website linked to above (which is new and improved since the last time I looked at it, BTW), and I'm looking at the pictures at the bottom of the page and I'm ready to get all indignant that they didn't have a picture of Zeke and me when, lo and behold, there was one! That's picture number 3, by the way... :D 8)

I like the picture of you and Zeke in the recliner better. That one is a classic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:41 am 
Limited Edition

Riflemeister wrote:
BPGuy wrote:

I like the picture of you and Zeke in the recliner better. That one is a classic.

It is, indeed. Those two are closely bonded. I recall, vividly, seeing them burst out of tall grass from my left, Zeke hot after a flushing quail and BP in close pursuit of Zeke. If Zeke didn't have a mouth full of tail feathers, it was only because he was blowing too hard for them to stick.

Drang nach Beck's!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kannoncocker wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:
BPGuy wrote:

It is, indeed. Those two are closely bonded. I recall, vividly, seeing them burst out of tall grass from my left, Zeke hot after a flushing quail and BP in close pursuit of Zeke. If Zeke didn't have a mouth full of tail feathers, it was only because he was blowing too hard for them to stick.

For those that missed it the first time around.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:45 am 
Diamond Grade

I mailed my deposit this morning so I will be there again this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:52 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I like the pic of double20 & Zeke!

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Back to the top for this thread, as of right now, I plan on being there, things could change, but my plan is to attend. I have not fired a shot in a long time, so I may just be poking holes in the atmosphere :lol: , but the main goal for me is to just to be fortunate to be there, anything after that is frosting on the cake.

cdb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:43 am 
Limited Edition

That's great, Chuck. I certainly look forward to seeing you again.

Drang nach Beck's!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:40 pm 
Field Grade

What is the furthest people are driving to get to this? Here in Northern Colorado, weather has a significant impact on travel in February.

Thinking this may be a great hunt for my son and I.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

two shoes wrote:
What is the furthest people are driving to get to this? Here in Northern Colorado, weather has a significant impact on travel in February.

Thinking this may be a great hunt for my son and I.

When I am able to make it, I fly in from Ct. Flying is often less expensive than driving for a single person. I've never had a problem getting someone who is driving to stop at an airport and pick me up. We're a friendly bunch here.

But back to your question....We have people that drive in from NM, Tx, Ga, La and a lot of other states. This hunt is about getting together with "the guys", working over some great dogs and getting a lot of shooting at good hard flying birds. Hope you can join us for 2018.

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20