It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recoil Pads
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:56 pm 
Field Grade

I'm excited to join ranks as a new Wingshooter Elite 12ga owner. Well, I just put in the order, so I'll have it in a week or so. In the meantime, from what I've read, I'll need to replace the recoil pad. Does anybody have direct experience with this gun and replacement pads? Anybody measure the stock and hole pattern on the Wingshooter Elite 12ga?

Any feedback or insights would be much appreciated. I promise to return the favor with photos once my new baby arrives :-)

Last edited by superbeau on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Wingshooter Elite 12ga - size for recoil pad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome {hs# to the forum beaudarcy81 and :)W on the purchase of a nice shotgun. If it's like every other CZ, you're going to need a grind-to-fit recoil pad. I like the Pachmayr pads, others prefer the Limbsavers. The Pachmayr SC100 is popular with it's no-snag insert at the heel. I like the Old English Style pads on my SxS guns.

Of course we require pictures when you get the gun. :D Again, welcome!

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

Post subject: Re: Recoil Pads
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 am 
Field Grade

Sorry, guys. I didn't find the older thread until just now. I'll add the link here to help any other rookies that show up with this same question :?

viewtopic.php?t=394939

I'll just add links as I find interesting sources of info on this topic...

* viewtopic.php?f=12&t=407650

* http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rep ... ks.228816/

* viewtopic.php?p=3111516#p3111516

* viewtopic.php?p=3303663#p3303663

Last edited by superbeau on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:08 pm 
Field Grade

After some additional reading - and primarily due to @IheartShotguns's amazing research - I am leaning heavily towards a Limbsaver pad of some sort. My next question is: do I go with the 1) grind-to-fit, 2) precision fit, or 3) slip on?

There are pros and cons to each of these options, but my reading suggests that a precision fit won't match my stock exactly, narrowing down to options #1 or #3. The deciding factor is that I want this gun to work for both amateur clays and upland game. My thought is to go with a slip-on pad, allowing me to add some extra cushion in spring / summer when I'm shooting clays in t-shirts, and then remove the pad when I'm hunting in thick jackets during the fall / winter seasons.

Based on what I've read, it looks like Limbsaver's medium size is correct for my Wingshooter Elite. I'm probably going to start with their 1"-thick (medium) version over their 1/2"-thick (small medium) for the extra cushion. I found the 1" version on Amazon for $28 (shipped), so I'll order one up and we'll see how it looks in a couple days.

Last edited by superbeau on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:48 am 
Field Grade

Amazon just delivered my new Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad. It looks nice, but it feels really soft (maybe too soft) and it's almost "springy" side to side. The finish is almost greasy, like it's coated in teflon or something slippery. Not sure if that will have an impact on its performance.

I'm going to shoot on Friday and Saturday, so we'll see how it handles 2 3/4" (FRI) and 3" (SAT) shells. I'll get some photos of the pad on my gun uploaded as well, but here's a stock image in the meantime.

Last edited by superbeau on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:03 pm 
Field Grade

I was able to test out the Limbsaver recoil pad this weekend. I put it on my Wingshooter Elite 12ga and then put it to work on Saturday, putting 50 rounds of 3" mag shells through it. The pad did a great job of absorbing recoil and I wasn't uncomfortable at all as I hammered away. The issue I ran into was that the pad would slide off center and sometimes get cocked to one side of the stock after a couple shots. It seems like a 1" pad is just too long for the way Limbsaver connects this pad to the stock. I think I'm going to return this pad and try their 0.5" version to see if that stays put any better.

Here are a few photos I took:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:22 am 
Limited Edition

slip-on limbsaver pad will slip around regardless of the thickness. I had the same issue with my slip-on. You're better off getting a grind-to-fit pad. A gunsmith can install one in no time for a nominal fee. Of course, you know already that I'm a limbsaver fan, so that's the one I'd recommend ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:08 am 
Field Grade

IheartShotguns wrote:
You're better off getting a grind-to-fit pad. A gunsmith can install one in no time for a nominal fee.

I hear ya, @IheartShotguns. If this latest slip-on doesn't do the trick, then your suggestion is where I'm heading next.

IheartShotguns wrote:
Of course, you know already that I'm a limbsaver fan, so that's the one I'd recommend ;-)

They do work really well on the recoil itself, that's for sure! The new 1/2" slip-on pad came in last night and I think it could be a winner. Although I'm making that statement by feel and not in practice, so I'll try it out and see how it does. It seems to fit noticeably better than the previous one and doesn't want to "roll" as much as the 1" version. I'd go so far as to say this is a generation newer or older than the 1" pad I got; it has a sort of "ribbed" texture and a dry "non greasy" feel. Anyways, we'll find out soon enough :wink: Here are a couple pics with the new pad on there:

*** UPDATE - 11/10/2017 ***
I had a chance to shoot with the new recoil pad today, and it worked great! No slipping around on the stock and it absorbed recoil very well. It's not quite as soft as the 1" model, but I think this one will work for what I need.