ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worried about barrel regulation...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

As I posted in another message, my wife is looking at a CZ-USA Quail. I can't find many (any really) objective reviews of the gun. I'm just not sure this would be a confident purchase.

We have 5 other CZ O/Us and they have all been great guns. We both have close to 15,000 rounds through our clays guns and our two field guns have about a third of that. The new little 28 gauge has been great with nearly 2,000 rounds through it.

I just don't know what I think about the deleted mid-rib on the Quail. CZs HAVE had some barrel regulation issues in their history, that is a fact. It seems to me that without a mid-rib this could be amplified? I just don't know enough about it I guess.

Here are my questions...
Do mid-rib delete guns have a propensity to be/go out of regulation?
Is this even an issue and I am worried about nothing?

Thanks for the help.

OkKeith

Post subject: Re: Worried about barrel regulation...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

There are others here, who will hopefully chime in, who have specific knowledge superior to my opinion regarding mid ribs.

But in my view, mid ribs have little or no effect on barrel regulation. How the barrels are attached to the receiver does. Many high quality, top level guns don't even have mid ribs, and poor barrel regulation would not be tolerated by the consumers paying substantial prices, and winning world class shoots, with those guns.

Personally, I prefer O/U guns without mid ribs, although the majority I've owned have had them. That was simply due to budget and availability. If I had my druthers, I'd choose guns with no midribs. I've owned both styles.

Someday I hope to own an MT6, which happens to have no mid rib. My SP1 (and other makes and models I suppose) has no mid rib under the forend, where it doesn't show, but only from the forend forward. So...is it for cosmetic purposes and maybe to keep out debris? One would think if it was maintaining or contributing to regulation, it would run the full length of the barrels.

I think you may be worrying needlessly. CZ has great customer service in any event. So it should not be an issue. If you get it, enjoy the gun and the fact that moisture between the barrels can be easily dealt with; the barrels may cool better; and it will be a tiny bit lighter; if that matters to you.

Whether or not an O/U is equipped with a mid rib or not is virtually a non issue. If my guess is wrong, I hope to find out. Someone here will know for sure.

Last edited by Grouse Gunner on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Ribs not under the forearm generally also tend to make the barrels have a little forward weight. Whether or not that is desirable is a personal thing.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:20 am 
Tournament Grade

Grouse Gunner and Oneounceload-

I GREATLY appreciate the advice! I think my trepidation is from stepping outside of what I know (or what I have in the gun safe). She seems pretty set on the Quail model so we are headed out today to try and find one she can get a feel of.

This particular model seems to be a little hard to find. I don't think it is a matter of low numbers being manufactured, after all it was the QF/PF Youth Gun of the Year in 2019. I have cruised the used market just to see if folks buy them and then get rid of them quick for some reason and there are very few out there used as well. Seems to me that this says that when they are purchased, folks hang on to them.

We may or may not come home with one this week but the hunt (for the shotgun) is on.

OkKeith