Shotgun Forum banner

CZ Canvasback Reliability Test

274K views 3K replies 160 participants last post by  cdb1097 
#1 ·
Was conversing with 2few on another topic here and happened to tell him I was keeping track of every shot fired in my CZ.
He suggested that I start this posting and report every time I shot, how many rounds I fired & give a running total. This had been done on the now defunct Dehan board by someone else and generated a lot of interest. I said what the heck, I'm game and I am keeping track of the rounds fired anyway, why not post it and let everybody know. Now some background. I purchased my CZ Canvasback 12/20/2008 at GM on sale $539.86 and started shooting it the next day. That December I shot 663 rounds, so far this year have fired 2,550 rounds, Total 3,213 rounds. I shoot 3-6 times a month year round, not competitive just blazing away at the dump at the family farm. I shoot clay targets only, usually 50-200 per outing. I will give an honest report good or bad on how the gun worked. I really hope this post lasts a really long time, I love the fit of the CZ, swings beautifully, and is just a great gun to shoot. I will be hitting the field Saturday and Sunday, the wife picks up her new Beretta AL391 Ukiria 2 20 Ga tomorrow evening, she can't wait to shoot it. I will be shooting the CZ. Well that being said do you Huglu lovers feel this is a good project or not, will be waiting for your comments. Well 2few how does it look so far? Hope to be talking with you Huglu lovers soon and often.

Regards
cdb1097 :D

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll follow along. The other thread was a good one with alot of interest. Good luck.

MWAG

#4 ·
I'm rooting for you and the Canvasback!
I've been shooting skeet this summer several times a week with my 20 ga CZ Ringneck, and I'm up over 1250 this summer, but I bought the gun used and have not kept records of my own shooting, so any data I have would be useless. I'll be real interested in your numbers.

#5 ·
I'm really looking forward to it. While we all like the Huglu variants and encourage anyone who comes here to give them a try, a thread like this carry's a lot more weight for someone trying to make up their mind amongst different brands.

Good on you cdb for taking this on. well done.

Regards...2few

#6 ·
Well just got back from shooting some clays, the wife took out her new AL391, I was armed with the CZ. We each shot 125 rounds, that makes 3,338. She shot pretty darn good for the first time with the Beretta, the CZ performed flawlessly, did not do as well though, the wind was blowing at a fairly good clip, so we tried something new, threw the clays so the wind would really play havoc with them, almost like dove hunting, threw about 50 each this way, the other 75 each were all with the wind, much easier. Hopefully tomorrow will be better, and less windy, plan on going out about noonish. Well will be reporting back again tomorrow, have a great evening all.

cdb1097

#7 ·
Glad it was a fun day. Good idea with the clays and the wind. Weather here was AWFUL! Hot, humid and thunderboomers all afternoon. Couldn't even go to the range with my new .223. Look forward to tomorrow's report.

#9 ·
Y'know Doc,

I'm truly glad you come by and join us here in the CZ Forum from time to time. You know more about shotguns than I do and I do enjoy your input.

You actually can't be much more than 1 1/2 hours from me. Hope we can meet up at a range one day. Shoot one of my DeHaans a few times. Check the fit and finish. Take it apart. No, you won't pronounce it comparable with a $3000 shotgun. I know that. But I think you might be surprised by my $750 shotgun.

But one thing...when I miss all those targets...don't blame it on my gun. It's ALL me. :(

Best....2few

#10 ·
Well finally got done cleaning and putting away the guns, beautiful day for shooting calm 84 degrees, shot another 125 through the CZ 3,463 total, no problems with the gun. But let me tell ya about the first 25, have been reading that it is better to keep both eyes open when shooting, well I never did until today, missed 19 of 25 with both eyes open, would have done better with BOTH EYES SHUT. Well I always take a backup gun so I got the SX3 out and tried it, missed the first one then proceeded to shatter 22 of the next 24, 23 for 25, not bad, I got this both eyes open stuff down pat. Went back to the CZ, missed 4 of 25, getting better, this both eyes open stuff is not easy!!! Well the next 75 missed 7, not bad for the first time doing the both eyes open thing. It is difficult, takes a lot of concentration to force myself to open the left eye, and I am shooting the targets later than normal. I hope after a little time I will get a little faster on the draw. Do any of you guys reading this thread shoot with both open, and did you ever shoot with one shut, and did you ever recover your speed at getting on the target??? Well done shooting for this week, only 6 more days till I get to shoot again.

cdb1097

#11 ·
Starting to keep both my eyes open made a huge difference in my hit rate and my consistency... It is also good for hunting because you recover for follow up shots better with both eyes open... Remember to never look at your bead or barrel... Always look at where you are going to shoot...

#12 ·
Thanks for the update cdb.

Would you please send some of that fine Viginia weather up thisaway? This has been the wetest summer in my memory. As a result the mosquitos have been ferocious! There have been reports of them carrying off large dogs.

I've never shot with both eyes open because by left eye has always been better than my right and I'm a right hand shooter. Though thinking about it, now that I wear glasses I suppose that doesn't matter? Maybe I should try it.

#16 ·
Well Doc, I am fond of missing sporting clays. :oops: But I equally enjoy missing ANY moving target. :D

Most of my shooting has been of the "backyard" variety. But without a backyard to shoot in now, most of my shotgun shooting is at the Coon Club in Norfolk, CT

Since September is almost upon us, and with it hopefully nicer weather, lets meet up in your neck of the woods. I've been meaning to scout around up that way for some land to hunt coyote on.

#17 ·
2fewdaysafield said:
Well Doc, I am fond of missing sporting clays. :oops: But I equally enjoy missing ANY moving target. :D

Most of my shooting has been of the "backyard" variety. But without a backyard to shoot in now, most of my shotgun shooting is at the Coon Club in Norfolk, CT

Since September is almost upon us, and with it hopefully nicer weather, lets meet up in your neck of the woods. I've been meaning to scout around up that way for some land to hunt coyote on.
Sounds like a plan... let's shoot for one of the Sunday mornings before duck season. Hendrick Hudson is probably a good choice... they are in Poestenkill, NY-- about 30 minutes to the East of me... not exactly sure where you are, but from HH to Lime Rock Park, Ct is about an hour and 15 minutes.

The course is $26 per 100 for non-members... if you bring along a few extra boxes, we can shoot some skeet afterwards (my true passion). They also have international skeet, 5 stand, trap, and international trap.

I'm sure I can talk SEB into joining us. Perhaps Gar-Dog and Marist would be interested as well... anyone else?

#18 ·
Sounds like a plan Doc. Lime Rock is about 7 miles from me. So it will be any easy trip. Perhaps you could suggest a day that works for you? I'm single and self employed so pretty much any time would work for me. Be great if some of the other SGW members could join in! Be nice to meet folks I have read so often.

#19 ·
2fewdaysafield said:
Sounds like a plan Doc. Lime Rock is about 7 miles from me. So it will be any easy trip. Perhaps you could suggest a day that works for you? I'm single and self employed so pretty much any time would work for me. Be great if some of the other SGW members could join in! Be nice to meet folks I have read so often.
Let me confer with my local SGW guys, and drop PM's to a few I know who are not in my town but may want to come and wouldn't otherwise see this thread...

#21 ·
Well it is 1730 hrs and we just got back from shooting, the boys came home and brought 15 boxes of traps. We each shot 350 rounds, man never shot that much in one outing before, but damn we had a great time, did fairly well, the boys did real good. We are going back out tomorrow, don't know if my shoulder can handle all this shooting, but I sure will be ready for hunting season. 3,813 through the Canvasback with no problems so far. Will report back tomorrow, dove season Tuesday!!!!

cdb1097

#23 ·
We are up to 3,992 and working just fine, the CZ is ready for Tuesday afternoon, will be busting those little grey rockets. Shot a few 3" shells today just to check the pattern with steel BB loads, the IC choke shoots right at 64% at 40 yards about 1" to the right and dead on with lower bbl, the top bbl with LM choke patterns 69% 2" left and about 2 " high. I can live with that, even shot a few trap with the 3 inchers. Thursday morning will be swatting geese at daybreak. Well will be back Tuesday with the dove report, am hoping to shoot 70%, boy am I really optimistic. See everyone Tuesday evening and to all you hunters, Good hunting.

cdb1097

#25 ·
cdb....

Sounds like you have a GREAT week coming up! Hope your game pouch is heavy at the end of each day!

Thanks for the update on how the Canvasback is doing!

#26 ·
:( I envy you guys who live where you can hunt doves. We had a dove season set thirty years ago here in New Hampshire, but it got called off because of so many negative comments by the public two weeks before it even started!! So we have to settle for feeding them at our bird feeders, but hitting those little things must be a blast!! (no pun intended). So we have to settle for grouse and woodcock. Not a bad thing I guess.