It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SxS or O/U???
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:40 am 
Tournament Grade

Well I am 'window shopping' at this point, but I see another Huglu in my future. Probably either a DeHaan or TR Imports in 20ga. The question is, do I want a SxS or another O/U?

I can imagine getting used to one style makes switching to the other harder, but not sure. I've been seeing some beautiful SxS's moving photos around for people the past couple days, and I think aesthetically, the SxS wins hands down. I like my O/U's appearance, but the SxS's shape is just so classic. Especially with the straight English(?) stocks (like Strat's Merkel and SGr).

Regardless, I am going to be saving for a while for this gun. I have absolutely fallen in love with nicely figured wood and the SGr S engraving. So I'm looking at about $1800 minimum for the next gun. *Shudders* Gonna be saving a while for that one. Or maybe there's some side work out there I can pick up :D Right now I'm looking at a $20 which I really want to use to go pick up some ammo and clays so I can spend Christmas shooting again...but we'll see :) Gotta be good.

Anyhow. Thoughts? What would you buy (given a $1500-$2kish budget) and why?

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."

Post subject: Re: SxS or O/U???
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Brendan,

When I started hunting birds with my brother-in-law a few years ago, the only shotgun I owned was a Winchester M-1400 12 ga I bought new overseas in the 70's. As I struggled to shoot birds with that ill fitting gun, I started dreaming of getting a classic bird gun and like you, I knew it had to be a SXS. They just look and feel right. I was used to pistol grip stocks and single triggers, so my first SXS was a 20 ga CZ Ringneck that a friend found for me lightly used for $600. A club member had a Browning BSS 12 ga he didn't shoot any more, so I got that one for $600 also. More followed as I grew to like shooting different guns. So far only one O/U and that is my dedicated skeet gun.

I acquired a CZ Bobwhite 16 ga this summer to try to see what the English stock and double triggers are all about and shot enough clays with it that I thought I was used to the double triggers. I took it quail hunting and only pulled the wrong trigger once and later watched a bonus chukar fly away as I pulled both triggers with the safety on. Other than that, I shot it fine, but just feel more comfortable with the POW stock and single trigger. I also went to the trouble of getting all my guns fitted to me by fitting a pad for LOP and pitch and having the stocks bent for cast off and drop.

CZ Ringneck 20 ga
Ithica SKB 100 20 ga
CZ Ringneck 16 ga (2)
CZ Bobwhite 16 ga
Stevens 311 16 ga
Fox BSE 16 ga
Browning BSS 12 ga
Browning 525 Sporting 30" 12 ga adjustable comb
DeHaan SGr SXS 12 ga
Win 1400 12 ga

Last edited by Riflemeister on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
As I struggled to shoot birds with that ill fitting gun...

This is partially what is making me want to save and buy a custom gun. DeHaan's prices include custom stock dimensions, so I figure I should go to a fitter at some point and figure out what dimensions I need to find that perfect fit. My CZ Canvasback feels comfortable enough and I'm getting used to shooting it, but I'm not sure it's really correct. I honestly feel like I need a slightly longer LOP, though that may not actually be the case.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
CZ Ringneck 20 ga
Ithica SKB 100 20 ga
CZ Ringneck 16 ga (2)
CZ Bobwhite 16 ga
Stevens 311 16 ga
Fox BSE 16 ga
Browning BSS 12 ga
Browning 525 Sporting 30" 12 ga adjustable comb
DeHaan SGr SXS 12 ga
Win 1400 12 ga

BTW, this is an impressive list of guns with your statement that just a few years ago you just had one gun!!! How do you choose what to shoot on any given day? This would be like me owning 10 cars... I would spend all morning deciding what to drive :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:05 pm 
Field Grade

BL,

What are you planning on using it for...mostly? If you are a range guy, you may want the O/U. However if you are a bird hunter, you may want the lighter SXS...but again, this varies wildly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

AZ,

Right now I'm a range guy, but I'm taking the hunting safety class next week with my hunting license soon to follow, and would /like/ to try hunting once I improve my skeet shooting (I don't particularly want to practice on live animals ;) ).

I'm sure I would be very happy with the performance of a Ringneck or similar, but I feel like my next gun needs to be more of an art piece than just another gun in the cabinet :) Something I can hang on the wall and just stare at when I'm not out shooting ;) Having it built custom (even if it is just a slight variation on a mass produced gun) makes it feel special I'm sure. And I feel that's worth the extra bucks.

I didn't specifically ask this originally, but as far as gauge, should I stick with 12? I'm thinking I might like to try a 20, but I've never shot one, and the only reason would be for the lighter package. I'm somewhat aware of the fact that a lightweight 20 kicks more, but to be honest, recoil hasn't bothered me yet....I generally shoot Remington 12gauge 1-1/8oz 1290fps loads out of both my CZ and my Mossberg 500 (20" Persuader), and neither gun seems to beat me up. Honestly I feel like my SKS is a lot harder on my shoulder than any shotgun I've fired.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Brendan,
Yeah, its tough sometimes choosing which gun to shoot, but somebody's got to do it.

For skeet, I'll generally shoot my Browning 525, but may take one of my SXS as a tuneup for a hunt.

On my last hunt for Mearns quail in Arizona, I knew I needed a lightweight, fast handling gun and that fit my SKB 20 ga to the tee. A lot of steep draws and quick, close flushes made the 5# 15 oz SXS an easy choice.

For pheasants over in Kansas on opening weekend, I decided on my 20 ga Ringneck partly because I shoot Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads on those birds and the Greener crossbolt is better able to handle the heavy loads. The gun is a little heavier than my SKB and the recoil with heavy loads is a bit more pleasant.

For late season Pheasants when the cold weather gets their feathers a lot more dense, I'll be using my 16 ga Ringneck and my new DeHaan SGr 12 ga both with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant ammo with nickle plated shot. Both guns have the Greener crossbolt and both weigh over 7# to help with the recoil from the heavy loads.

For planted birds at 4-B's hunting preserve, I'll just shoot whatever I haven't shot in a while unless I'm doing it as a tuneup for a specific hunt.

For turkeys, my old Winchester 1400 has been fitted with a red dot sight on a B-Square saddle mount and a Kick's Gobblin Thunder ported turkey choke. I wrap it up in camo tape and am good to go. At 25 yards, the gun puts 17-20 #6's in the 2" bull using 1 5/8 oz Win turkey loads. Talk about a jelly head, that's the recipe.

I guess if I was honest, I would be happy hunting with the 16 ga Ringneck for the rest of my life and never look back. It seems to just kill birds and I shoot it well, and that is really all you can ask of a gun. I'd probably be a better shot doing it that way too, but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:51 pm 
Field Grade

BL,

Haha! This is great. Proficiency at the range is excellent. Sometimes, however, I think some of the dove/quail here in AZ could qualify as stunt pilots once they see you shoulder your gun. There is not much at the range that can help you prepare for that other than knowing your gun and how it shoots. :lol: :lol:

Also, I fully support Hunter's Safety Class. That is a great way to get down the do's and don'ts of the field. There are no second chances in hunting, unfortunately.

The Ringneck is beautiful, as well as some of the other more high-end Huglus and others I have seen on this site. There is something just classy about carrying a SXS. It makes you feel regal! :D ....Regarding this, my only concern would be the gun itself. One thing that was so attractive about the Bobwhite was I knew I was going to be using this gun in the field. It is inevitable there will be a few scratches, nicks and dings over time. I am such an "el cheapo" that if I spent $2K or more on a new SXS, it would only be used at pheasant clubs and at the range...probably while holding a rag at all times. :) BTW, my brother-in-law just had a custom o/u 28g built for 13K!!!! He said I could borrow it anytime...but NO WAY am I going to be responsible for that thing!! :P

If you are looking at a SXS, the largest guage I would get would be a 16g. The problem with 16's is they usually have fixed chokes and are harder to buy and are more $$$. That leaves you 20, & 28's. 28's are light, wonderful little guages that are on my "to buy" list. The reason I did not buy one this time was the same as the 16, usually no removable chokes and more$$$ for shells....with 28's especially, there is very little versatility. That left me with the 20g...seemingly a natural choice that so far I am very ahppy with. 20g bird shells shoot 7/8 oz shot out of a 2 & 3/4 in shell.....turns out that is the SAME amount available in most standard 12g shells in terms of shot.

I hope this helps!!

P.S.
I took your grease advice on the Bobwhite and it made a great deal of difference!! Thanks!!! {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

AZ,

I am about in the same boat as you with a $2k gun being a prized possession and not letting anything but the softest of cotton touching it :) I think I could bring myself to use it as a field gun though as long as it was not raining :) I'd probably buy another Mossberg with a synthetic stock for those kinds of days. You can't look classy soaking wet, so there's no point in trying to carry a classy gun in such a situation. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:05 pm 
Field Grade

BLSully wrote:
You can't look classy soaking wet, so there's no point in trying to carry a classy gun in such a situation. :D :D :D

LOL!! True! If it were raining that much probably much safer to just hunt with a walking stick. That way you won't be carrying a lightning rod and you'll probably have just as much luck in those conditions. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Brendan,
I must agree with AZ on the 20 ga probably being the best choice. I love the 16 ga, but of the three Huglu 16 ga's I've purchased, Huglu seems to have a little trouble with fixed chokes. The first 16 ga Ringneck had both barrels choked .007", so I had Mike Orlen install screw in chokes. The 16 ga Bobwhite is the closest of the lot as it is actually choked a tight Skeet in the right barrel and light mod (Skeet II) in the left barrel. Works out great for planted birds. 16 ga Ringneck #2 came with the right barrel perfect at .007", but the left barrel was choked .021" or nearly full choke. I sent it to Mike Orlen and had the left barrel opened to .013" and all is good. I'm not disappointed with any of the guns, but I'm also willing to do a little work to get them right. The work includes triggers, extractor fitting, smoothing the cocking effort, long forcing cones, Pachmayer Clays decel pads fitted at my 14 1/4" LOP and 1 1/2" pitch, and stocks bent for proper cast off. Not a project for the neophyte or faint hearted.

You might want to look at my earlier post from last spring on 20 ga Ringneck gun fitting. I detailed the experience of getting a professional gun fitting from Michael Murphy and Sons of Augusta, KS. I am happy with the decision to have a standard gun fitted rather than having a try gun fitting and then getting a custom gun built to those specifications. I was much more comfortable ordering my DeHaan SGr to my specs after fitting half a dozen shotguns to my requirements.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:29 am 
Crown Grade

Brendan,

Here's my two cents. My first shotgun was a Ruger Red Label 12 ga. O/U with a single trigger and pistol grip. I can shoot it fine, but it just doesn't feel right. It's nearly 8 pounds. That's why I wanted my second shotgun to be a 20 ga. and after some experience with my grandfather's old SxS with double triggers, I knew it had to be a CZ Bobwhite (after much searching on this website). I bought one and have loved it. Light (6# 9 oz.), fits me well and with tuned up triggers, a dream to handle.

As you know, I also ended up getting a 12 ga. Partridge (same gun, different finish) from CDNN on super-sale and have actually loved it even more! I was afraid it would be heavy and a clunker to swing, more of a waterfowling gun than an upland gun, but it is only a bit more than 7# and has served me well for the few pheasant hunts I have done this year. I haven't had the chance to swing it on ducks yet, but have done some overhead shots on geese (more like goose tailfeathers :roll: ) and I think it will double-duty well (and at the price I got, I don't worry too much about a ding or two). I won't take it on any grouse hunts because I can tell it would be too much and the 20 is plenty for that.

If you have a 12 ga., try a 20 ga., you'll love it for upland game.

MD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:26 pm 
Field Grade

My father was a pump guy. Everything he own's is a single tube pump. Myself, I like the look of the double tube guns. Started with an O/U, then added a SxS to the collection. They both have thier goods, and both have some draw backs.

I chose a 12ga O/U because that was what everyone I shot with and hunted with had. When I chose to get a 20ga I looked at both O/U an SxS. I felt the sxs 20 was perfectly ballanced and I shoot it well. Most of the O/U 20's I looked at were just smaller 12ga guns with more metal added to give them similiar weight to thier bigger brothers. The .410 sxs and o/u options felt "toyinsh" and the cost and availability of 28ga was cost prohibitive imo.

I chose the sxs in 20ga not only because I found a very nice gun in the cz ringneck, but because I already had an o/u. If I was going to add, I wanted something different.

In the end, it does not matter what the rest of us shoot, why we shoot it, or what we would buy in the future. You need to look at guns over and over and over. "Window Shoping" is an important step in an informed purchase. Get out and shoot, test shoot guns if you get a chance to. Hold 'em, swing 'em, sholder them, over and over and over. I am looking at getting a gun for turkey and predator hunting, and have for the most part picked out the gun I will be getting. The guy at the gun counter I frequent said for as much time as I spend fondaling the thing, I will wear the finish off and get it at a better price. :lol: There is a muzzle loader at a different store you could say the same thing about. :oops:

You have said you are getting your hunting licence soon. Your gun choices may change once you start going out and looking for birds. All day with one or the other or the choices of what you hunt most may influence what kind of gun you like. I for instance, like to put on a lot of miles and spend most of that time chasing ruffed grouse and pheasants. Thus the lighter 20ga. If I am going duck hunting, I bring the 12 because I am not walking 5 miles in a day, same holds true for the gun range. A heavier gun at the range is not as noticable as a heavy one in the field.

Just some more things to consider, you know, cloud the water some more. :twisted:

tradshooter@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hey Brendan,

Thanks for starting this thread. Its a good one!

As I am sure you know, the SXS was for a loooong time THE sporting shotgun. And even long after the US had moved to pumps, semis and O/Us, the SXS remained THE sporting shotgun in Europe. My first 2 years of High School, I was going to school in Scotland and during the hunting season out History teacher used to walk into class with his SXS in his hand and his bird dog on a leash. Usually had a few grouse in his game pouch too!

As I am sure you know, I am a classicist and prefer a SXS with English stock and DT. Not because they are better, not because I shoot one better than the other, just 'cause I like 'em better.

Some folks say the O/U is easier to learn than the SXS. Others say no. I'd tell you my personal experience, but I'm not good enough with a shotgun to really offer a worthwhile opinion on the subject. But I really don't believe that a comparative newcomer to the shooting sports would have any harder time learning one than the other.

As for DT vs SST....My thumb is a lot less coordinated than my trigger finger, so I figure the DT is easier to select barrels with than the SST.

English stock vs Prince of Whales vs Pistol grip.....The gun I shot the best (a baikal of all things) had a pistol grip. But well....I just prefer the English stock.

Which to buy.....We all have our own reasons for the guns we buy. My philosophy is this....I spend WAY 2fewdaysafield. But even when I am not at the range or hunting, I like to practice shouldering my guns, I like to admire their form and shape, I like to wipe them off with a rag, I like to admire the wood. So a lot of my pleasure in my guns has nothing to do with shooting them, so I want them to be beautiful to my eye.

Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun!

You're young. You're just getting into the shooting sports. You're going to buy A LOT of guns over the next few decades. ALWAYS buy guns that you find esthetically pleasing.

If you need to buy a few that are ugly just because you shoot them so well, thats fine but you will never get quite as much pleasure from them as you do your beautiful guns.

For now, buy what pleases you estheticallly and learn how to shoot them, rather than buying what someone tells you will be easier to shoot well.

ABOVE ALL...Have fun!

Best....2few

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:24 pm 
Crown Grade

2fewdaysafield wrote:
As I am sure you know, I am a classicist and prefer a SXS with English stock and DT.

Are you sure we're not "classists" as well? :wink: :wink: I'm right there with ya!

And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That beat-up old pump that grampa shot may not win any beauty contests, but it may look like solid gold to you.

Ditto what NeighborGuy said - very good advice to shoulder and shoot as much as you can before you buy. Especially the part about what other people buy. You should buy what impresses you, not the Joneses. There's a lot of good food for thought here, take your time chewing on it!

MD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

:D

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Lots of good opinions in here thanks :D I get bored sitting in front of my computer coding all day and feel the need to start up a conversation sometimes. I know some of the topics I've started are not precisely Huglu specific, but I have found that posting in this sub-forum has weeded out all the nonsense that I have found in many of the other forums. I definitely like my CZ and my experience so far has made me lean towards looking at another Huglu made gun, especially with the more "premium" DeHaan and TRI guns available at such a good deal.

I've been expanding my "window shopping" beyond those two companies just to decide for myself how good a deal the DeHaan SGr or TR Imports guns are. And truthfully, purely from an aesthetic standpoint, these $2-3k guns are easily the equal of a lot of the $7k+ B guns and such I have seen listed.

Like some of you have said in the past, these Huglu's might not be the best choice for shooting 20,000 rounds/year out of, but I firmly believe I will never even remotely approach that number. Certainly not on a field gun.

One interesting thing that's kind of been nagging me... 2few, you say "Some folks say the O/U is easier to learn than the SXS. Others say no." Is shooting a SxS really that much different from an O/U in practice? I've yet to actually hold a SxS, let alone shoot one, but I guess between my pump and O/U, I don't really change much, is it just hard to not be sighting down the top of the barrels?

I also do think I would like a DT for a field gun vs a single selective. I like the SST on my CZ, but in clays, you have time before the pull to decide which barrel you want first...and honestly I think I've still only changed that once or twice to see if I could tell the difference. Answer? Nope. Not nearly that good yet :D But in a field situation where you flush birds off of the ground, I know I'd have a hard enough time drawing a bead on one, let alone trying to remember to pull the selector back to Safe, remembering which side is top or bottom (left-top, right-bottom on my CZ), and push the safety back into fire position. I think after some practice, the DT could theoretically be quite an advantage even though it is the mechanically simpler action. At least as long as I don't accidentally pull both at the same time :shock: :shock:

Doing my window shopping I have also realized how hard it is to find 28 gauge stuff :( Kinda sad because I think a small bore would be really nice. I think barring some insane deal on a 12gauge, I'll be looking at 20's. That seems to be the general consensus for an upland gun. I can always get a rifled barrel and shoot slugs out of my Mossy 500 if I want to go after deer. Like Neighbor_Guy said, the type of hunting will likely affect the decision of what gun to carry. Guess the only choice is to buy a lot more guns!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Dutchess County, NY - the northern most county of Alabama
You never want to have a gun problem. However poop happens. If you are in the field, and do have a trigger problem, with a DT gun you hopefully can still use one barrel. With a SST you may end up going home early.

Being a left eyed shooter (yes, I'm left handed too) you learn that that gun fit is so overlooked by most people, but is extra important when many gun stocks are bent wrong for you. I have posted several times on the LH'ed shotgun forum regarding this because I've bought guns and guns and guns. Never once worried about if they worked for me. When I took trap shooting leasons from a local trainer I learned a lot about gun fit. That had me rethink did I have a problem with gun fit. It is so easy to put a gun to your shoulder and move the gun around until you are looking down the barrel and then call for a bird. See the gun fits. Wrong. I quickly learned that to become a better shooter I was going to need better tools - guns that fit me. When shooting from a low gun mount, like in the field, the gun has to come up and be automatic in coming up in the correct sight position. That takes a gun that fits you. Since you are just starting out you'll also jump into buying guns, just like the rest of us did (do), most likely buy the eye candy vs. a gun that fits. If I had to start over, I'd spend money on a good gun fitting and get one gun fitted long before I'd start buying several guns that didn't fit me. I've got to par down my guns and start over with guns that fit me. Some I can have worked on, but others aren't worth the effort to mess with. Save yourself some money and do it right from the first place.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Hey Brendan!! Top of the mornin' to ya!!
Lots of terrific advice here on this thread and all worthy of your consideration.
The only things that I will add is in regards to ease of shooting and/or mastering one style or another (O/U vs SxS's) it's mostly a preference thing, personal experience and likes and dislikes ect., there are some fundimental differences between the two like different recoil dynamics for one, because of the barrel arrangement the O/U's tend to recoil in a manner that potentionally allows a faster second or follow up shot because of how the first barrel (lower barrel) is positioned in relation to the center line of the gun that creates a straight back and in some cases almost downward recoil dynamic and this keeps your barrels and your eyes more on target so your recovery is faster for the second shot as compared to the SxS design which tends to recoil up and back with a little torque thrown in for good measure and this is why the O/U's became a dominant force along with Autoloaders in the multiple target Clays Shooting events. This recoil dynamic is much less of a concern in the field and in the every day world, in fact the SxS design is faster and easier to reload than an O/U especially in a blind or heavy cover simply because the SxS only needs to be opened a little ways in order to reload as compared to the O/U's needing to be opened way up to access the lower barrel.
As far as sight picture goes some people just think about stuff to much, they focus too much on the barrels and where each barrel is going to shoot. At one time I had a guy that could not master shooting a SxS and was very frustrated by the fact that try as he may he just couldn't shoot one but he loved the way they looked and handled, I couldn't understand why he could shoot a gun with a single barrel sight picture so well yet was unable to hit anything with a SxS so we started trying figure out why he struggled so much with the 2 barrel sight picture of a SxS gun and he tipped me off when made the statement that each barrel should have it's own bead, I then realized that he was over working a problem that didn't exist because a gun that fits you properly is an extention of you, the barrels are merely a reference point in your peripheral vision, your focus should be on the target not the barrels, you don't aim a shotgun, you point it. Over the years I helped several guys over come this very issue and after they understood that they didn't need to aim each barrel individually they were then able to shoot the SxS guns as well as anybody. The conversation always started out something like this "Wow what a beautiful SxS you have there, I love those guns but I just can't shoot them worth a damn, I don't know how you guys can shoot those so well and I can't hit the side of a barn from inside with one".

In regards to double triggers vs single selective triggers, I have several guns equipped with SST's and I have found over the years that for the most part I personally lack the dexterity and coordination required to operate one really effectively and as result I will choose double triggers every time when available and the fact is DT's are the fastest and most reliable trigger system available on double barrel guns. I might be wrong making this statement but as far as I know the Express Double Rifles that people stake their lives on in Africa only come equipped with DT's for a reason and it's not usually for barrel selection. I hope that I explained this in an understandable fashion and that you might benefit from it in your understanding and decision making process.

I actually forgot to mention my personal thoughts on gauge choice. In a situation where I was going to buy one very special gun I personally would opt for a 12 gauge. Unlike the O/U guns a 12 ga. SxS English style gun weighs significantly less, my 12 ga Huglu field gun weighs 6 lbs. 13 ozs. ( about the same as a couple of my 20 ga. guns) as compared to a 12 ga 103D (and most 12 ga. O/U's for that matter) for example coming in around +/- 8 lbs., so they are not heavy or clunky guns afield, they handle very well and allow you to duplicate any of the sub gauge loads but at the same time the 12 ga. allows you to participate in the 12 ga. shooting events like Trap and will work for late season wild flushing Pheasant and even Turkeys as well. You can truly do it all with a 12 ga. Don't get me wrong, I have several 20 gauges and love them very much as well as my 16, 28's and my .410 but they do have limitations plus 12 ga. guns usually work better in regards to hitting things for the beginning Shotgunner while the sub gauge guns are often reffered to as experts guns, that's why Skeet Shooting events are catagorize by gauge with the difficulty level increasing with the lesser gauges. Just something to consider I guess.

Strat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hey Brendan...

You asked about O/U vs SXS. Personally, I don't think one is any easier or harder to shoot well than the other. Especially if you are just learning. I think it is entirely possible that if you had been shooting guns with a single sighting plane (pump, semi, O/U) and then tried to switch to a SXS some might find the change a little trying. But starting out like you are, you could learn either one with equal ease. Though it might be worthwhile to pick one or the other and stick with it until you reach a certain level of success.

If your goal was to try to become a top notch competitive shooter, I think a gun with the single sight plane might have some small advantage, but for hunting and "fun shooting" I really doubt either O/U or SXS holds any advantage.

As far as gauge is concerned, I would suggest that for at least the next few years you stick with a 12, 16 or 20, again until you achieve a certain level of proficiency. The 28 gauge and the .410 both throw a pretty small payload and are pretty unforgiving of pointing error and can be discouraging to a new shooter. Once you can consistently shoot a high teen to low 20 then you can delve into the world of sub-gauge guns because if you ever find yourself getting discouraged, you can always go back to the bigger bores for a round or two to give your confidence a boost.

Above all this, remember the real purpose to this passtime....FUN! :D

Best...2few