Shotgun Forum banner

Canvasback Question

4K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  jer901 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Canvasback 12ga. Finally took it out and shot it. This is my first O/U. It shot great and I was hitting clays better than I normally do. I'm no shotgunner by any means, but I was pleased with how it handled. However, I noticed that several times the second barrel wouldn't fire. I would have to press the trigger twice to get the bottom barrel to fire. Is there anything that would cause this? I switched the barrel selector an had the same issue. After I shot about 50 rounds through it, I noticed the gun performed like it should. Maybe it was "tight" or new and needed to break in a bit?

Anyone familiar with this scenario? Could I have not been resetting the trigger? Overall, very happy with the Canvasback and look forward to dove season this Saturday!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#2 ·
Sounds to me like you are "trapping" the trigger - not completely releasing it between shots. It's pretty common if you're new to doubles.

#4 ·
There could be some left over shipping gunk in the trigger assembly.

It's always best to give new guns a good cleaning before shooting,with an O/U it requires the removal of the stock to do this properly.

#5 ·
jer901 said:
Sounds to me like you are "trapping" the trigger - not completely releasing it between shots. It's pretty common if you're new to doubles.
I think this more than likely the problem, I would shoot it and be very conscious of firing the first barrel, and fully releasing the trigger, and then trying the second barrel and see what happens, if the not firing still occurs, let us know, then a full cleaning is in order.

cdb

#6 ·
Thank you all! I did a cursory cleaning when I got it, and a thorough cleaning after the 50 rounds I put thru her. This issue seemed to subside after the first 30 or so rounds, so I tend to think it was my doing and not the gun's. Thanks again for being a sounding board to a newbie at doubles.

#7 ·
EZ Land.....We're always friendly here on Huglu Forum. It's what we do. Not all of SGW is the same though.

First off.....The Huglu guns often come with a lot of "gunk" in them. They are built in Turkey, sent by ship (salt water air etc), and often sit at CZ-USA or a dealer for as much as 2 years and so the Turks put a lot of preservative everywhere so that when the box get opened neither the outside nor the inside is all rusty. So it is always a good idea to give any new Huglu a thorough cleaning before shooting it....up to and including pulling off the stock and cleaning up the trigger mechanisms.....IF you feel confident in your ability to do so.

Trapping the trigger is a strong suspect here as jer901 said. If you do not fully release the trigger, the second barrel is not going to fire. I've had a few cases of this. Usually at the worst possible time. If the problem continues, a good way to test if you are trapping the trigger is to go to your range and ask the trapper to give you slightly delayed report pairs. You are going to have plenty of time to get on the second bird, so consciously release the trigger after the first shot. If the problem disappears then you are trapping the trigger.

Chances are that you are either trapping the trigger or that the trigger mechanism etc needs a real good cleaning to get all the factory preservative out.

Be assured however that if this is a gun problem rather than a cleaning or operator problem, CZ-USA will make things right and do it QUICKLY.

on the new Canvasback and.....

#8 ·
You can do it with any shotgun, but you don't always notice it unless you are shooting a double. I've accidentally slam fired my Ithaca by trapping the trigger. Pull the trigger - boom, rack the slide - ching ching boom! Needless to say, I have missed every second bird when I've done it. The difference is an unexpected discharge as opposed to a failure to fire.

#9 ·
jer901 said:
You can do it with any shotgun, but you don't always notice it unless you are shooting a double. I've accidentally slam fired my Ithaca by trapping the trigger. Pull the trigger - boom, rack the slide - ching ching boom! Needless to say, I have missed every second bird when I've done it. The difference is an unexpected discharge as opposed to a failure to fire.
What year is your 37, mine is from 81, and will not slam fire.

cdb

#10 ·
cdb1097 said:
jer901 said:

cdb
I don't remember when they changed the 37, bot on the older ones, there was no disconnector, and you could hold the trigger and shuck corn.

#11 ·
papaac said:
cdb1097 said:
jer901 said:

cdb
I don't remember when they changed the 37, bot on the older ones, there was no disconnector, and you could hold the trigger and shuck corn.
That must be why the old timers said they could fire a Pump faster than a Semi-Auto. :shock:

cdb

#12 ·
cdb1097 said:
jer901 said:

cdb
There are two in my family - my brother-in-law has my dad's 1954 12 ga and mine is a 1966 12 ga. Both will slam fire.

It is a fact that in the old days, when the Browning A5 was the cat's meow, that a good pump was faster than an auto even without slamming it. My uncle loved his A5, my dad hated it. They were always bickering over which was faster. A 'shootoff' late one Saturday afternoon after a dove hunt proved the Ithaca was faster, but my uncle never would admit it.

I seriously doubt that any pump today is faster than most modern gas operated SAs. But they are still plenty fast for most occasions. My Ithaca will always be my favorite shotgun, and as much as I covet a nice custom 28ga DeHaan O/U, I could be tempted by one of the new 28 ga Model 37s. And I'm always checking pawn shops for a 20 ga in decent shape.

I don't own one, and have never shot one, but I've been told Win Model 12s would slam fire as well. IIRC Winchester's "Tom Knapp" in the 50's and early 60's used a Model 12.

#13 ·
One day I'll need to pull out my dad's Marlin 43, more or less a Model 12 clone, and see if it will slam fire. It's from the '30's and so I'll guess that it will fire that way.

#14 ·
Only 12 posts and we are completely off topic............ talk about thread drift! :lol:

My fault........ I apologize EZ Land. Please let us know how you get this issue worked out. I haven't had any trouble at all with my Canvasback, but I'd like to know.

#15 ·
jer901 said:
Only 12 posts and we are completely off topic............ talk about thread drift! :lol:

My fault........ I apologize EZ Land. Please let us know how you get this issue worked out. I haven't had any trouble at all with my Canvasback, but I'd like to know.
I think we got it kinda figured out, if it is not trapping, then we will try something else, until then :roll: :roll: we are being typical Huglu drifters. :lol: :lol:

cdb

#16 ·
A classic drift. That was Herb Parsons, I believe, who was Winchester's shooter. I think he could break 7 clays with a model 12. I've used a model 12, and for sure it will fire if you hold down the trigger. I'm pretty sure a Rem 31, from the same era, won't. I'll try mine some time.

#17 ·
That's it - Herb Parsons! I remember seeing him on television when I was a kid on some show my dad never missed. This is the 7-shot string with a pump:

#19 ·
jer901 said:

What took us so long? :lol: :lol: :lol:

EZ, sorry for getting off subject. Hope you figured out the problem! Do get back to us if it is a real trigger problem and if so do contact CZ regarding your warranty. There's some lurkers here that love to jump in with the sky is falling every time someone has a real problem with a Huglu. So we like to know if the problem is user or gun. But don't feel like owner malfunction is not something that we all haven't experienced - you should see me after swapping from my true LH mirror image Huglu (opening lever and all) over to my LH stocked Verona with a RH opening lever! Darn thing just won't open! Or switching to a DT SxS with auto safety after shooting manual safety O/U's for months. Takes a few shots and things come together. Now if I only could stop the dang barrels to stop shooting where I'm aiming and shoot to where the little birdies are!!!

#20 ·
No worries on the drift... I will let y'all know. I cleaned it very thoroughly. I imagine it was, as most of you said, me trapping the trigger. I just appreciate the helpful info.

Thanks again and I can't wait to miss some little birds this Saturday!

#21 ·
EZ Land said:
No worries on the drift...
Whew! I was afraid we were going to have to change our ways..... NOT! :lol:

EZ you will find us drifting all over the place most of the time..... but its a fun ride around here

#23 ·
I REALLY LIKE our tendency to drift! :D :D :D We always provide answers to questions asked but once we have gotten some answers we drift all over the place just like we would if we were in one place together. I mean...think about it....take 20 gun guys who know each other, put 'em in a room together and their conversation is going to drift all over the place. And of course if the guy asking the question feels he hasn't gotten a full answer to his question, he is always free to drift the thread right back to his question. :D :D :D

VIVA la Drift!!!!

#24 ·
2fewdaysafield said:
I REALLY LIKE our tendency to drift! :D :D :D We always provide answers to questions asked but once we have gotten some answers we drift all over the place just like we would if we were in one place together. I mean...think about it....take 20 gun guys who know each other, put 'em in a room together and their conversation is going to drift all over the place. And of course if the guy asking the question feels he hasn't gotten a full answer to his question, he is always free to drift the thread right back to his question. :D :D :D

VIVA la Drift!!!!
Best way I know to get acquainted and make new friends, even if just on the interwebs...

#25 ·
jer901 said:
Best way I know to get acquainted and make new friends, even if just on the interwebs...
Internet friends often become face to face friends as I have been blessed to discover here on Huglu Forum!!!

#26 ·
2fewdaysafield said:
jer901 said:
Internet friends often become face to face friends as I have been blessed to discover here on Huglu Forum!!!
Yup - even across the wide stretch of water known as the Pacific Ocean :wink: :wink:

One of these days I'm going to join you guys on one of these Huglu outings.... just a matter of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.