It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jeff Hunter's Guide to Buying Over/Unders
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:10 pm 
Limited Edition

hopper810 wrote:
I book-market it as well.I'm curious how many and who'll be the first to put the link in their response :lol:

Amen to that. :lol: If there were more posts like this one for the other over asked questions. It would be a lot of twiddling of thumbs on this virtual gun club we all belong too.

Long over due and just a great job. I'm definately attaching and PM'N this one to every post it relates too. :twisted:

BHN

Post subject: Jeff Hunter's Guide to Buying Over/Unders
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks guys. I hope somebody gets something useful from it.

"You are exactly right." -- Mike McAlpine
#douchewhistle - rbrown2012

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 am 
Crown Grade

+1 Jeff, excellent and well written post on this topic.

I'm always amazed at the guys with expensive trucks, 4 wheel ATV's, and a bunch of useless camo all over their vehicles (that someone paid good money for) that think my Brownings, Beretta's, Filson jackets and Danner boots are "way too expensive".

Not to mention Leupold scopes and Pentax binoculars. (I'm not even talking about real high end optics here)

Yes there are some times when you have a legitimate budget issue- kids in college, relocating, job issues, etc., and you need a serviceable gun for a given purpose and it will be a compromise in some way.

That doesn't mean it can't still be a very useful and enjoyable gun, and one you can always sell or trade up later. If you want a better one - buy a used one, or lay one away and put the money against it that you would have blown on something that won't last a lifetime or two.

Nice call BarryD- especially the "then add $500" line of thinking! Two many guys will buy a couple of AR's and a tactical shotgun and then post about how an 870 Wingmaster or a Silver Pigeon are way too expensive!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jeff: I am a millionaire b-ball player and have 16 children by 11 mistresses....so I'd like to get an O/U for the cool factor even though my budget is $293.57.

I want to "Wow" all the guys at the range who have O/U's now and look down on me b/c I am kinda slow when shooting trap doubles w/ my single shot Stefan's. I got my present gun from the Gold Plated Bling Company fairly cheap since one of my teammates used it to --accidentally-- shoot his meddling entourage member. I'd like to get an O/U for a similar price.

Use of the O/U as a zombie killer would provide me w/ welcome provenance....can you tell me where I can get the appropriate certification papers?

TIA dude.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hey, I understand priorities, budgets, and perceived value. I know plenty of people that live in expensive homes, drive high end german/japanese cars, and wouldn't dream of spending $1500 on a gun. And that's OK because everybody is different and there are perfectly fine guns in the $800 range if you can deal with their perceived "deficiencies".

That's why I tried to give an overview of what to expect at different levels. Just because it's not the current fad doesn't mean you can't shoot competition skeet or sporting clays with a 26" gun a couple weekends a month.

I have a buddy (who shall remain nameless to protect his identity) that has been going back and forth on an older 20 gauge Citori. It is a Grade 3 gun with screw chokes but has 26" barrels. The idea was that it would be nice for a skeet gun and a couple hundred sub-gauge sporting clays targets a year. The thing is, the gun is under-valued due to the 26" barrels. And not just a little undervalued, I think it's a steal. My buddy is unsure if the 26" barrels would be a big difference (usually he shoots a 30" Citori or 30" semi). I think it's one of the bargains of the century, but it's not my money, so we're still in a holding pattern. I think if he got it he would be very happy with it considering how much it will be used.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sera wrote:
Jeff: I am a millionaire b-ball player and have 16 children by 11 mistresses....so I'd like to get an O/U for the cool factor even though my budget is $293.57.

I want to "Wow" all the guys at the range who have O/U's now and look down on me b/c I am kinda slow when shooting trap doubles w/ my single shot Stefan's. I got my present gun from the Gold Plated Bling Company fairly cheap since one of my teammates used it to --accidentally-- shoot his meddling entourage member. I'd like to get an O/U for a similar price.

Use of the O/U as a zombie killer would provide me w/ welcome provenance....can you tell me where I can get the appropriate certification papers?

TIA dude.

Sounds like a K80 is in your future.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:36 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I am a millionaire b-ball player and have 16 children by 11 mistresses....so I'd like to get an O/U for the cool factor even though my budget is $293.57.

I think an old Sears branded AYA Matador would fit the bill. It's an O/U when you're holding it homeboy gangsta style.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sera- you crack me up {hs# :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

peace out-Dude 8)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tijeras_Slim wrote:
I think an old Sears branded AYA Matador would fit the bill. It's an O/U when you're holding it homeboy gangsta style.

You have a point there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jeff, where is your buying guide for chokes?

... Oh, and don't forget a buying and load-use guide for ammo!

Human ego will naturally resit change, yet change is our fuel for progress...

Last edited by JacksBack on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:44 am 
Crown Grade

That's easy! The brighter the color of the tube extension, and the more expensive the choke, the better you will shoot.

If you get a whole set of rainbow-colored chokes -- not a color-coded stripe for the constriction, I mean the WHOLE thing has to be brightly colored -- you will shoot better. That goes double if each tube costs you over $100.

If each tube is multi-colored, your name will automatically change to Digweedbenderechenknapptopperwein and you will dominate every range you approach, when you're still 50 miles out. These tubes, for example, will have this effect, but only if you buy the whole set for every one of your threaded guns.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Agree 100% on the $800 and around used Citori's as being great values- especially those with 26" barrels!

There's a reason so many guns were made with 26" barrels, as they make great all around shooters, especially for those of us that will be hunting and shooting clays. These guns didn't suddenly become unable to send an effective load of shot at birds and targets.

I'm in the market for a used or discounted Citori myself, and while I'm looking for 28" barrels I certainly wouldn't pass up a deal on one with 26" barrels. In the $1000-$1200 range there are some real deals out there.

Maybe for skeet and clays, the 26" barrels it might cost you a bird or two here and there compared to the 30's and 32's but I don't think it will diminish your enjoyment much and you will still have a great gun that will last you a lifetime.

I'm also hoping that now that the SV10's are getting good press that suddenly lots of guys will decide they need to sell their lightly used or LNIB Silver Pigeons/White Onyx's at a discount.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
'm also hoping that now that the SV10's are getting good press that suddenly lots of guys will decide they need to sell their lightly used or LNIB Silver Pigeons/White Onyx's at a discount.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Amen brother,Amen

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JacksBack wrote:
Jeff, where is your buying guide for chokes?

That is simple, if you are a choke changer like me, buy extended chokes.

Quote:
... Oh, and don't forget a buying and load-use guide for ammo!

That is also simple, buy whatever is on sale.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I live in an apartment, drive an inexpensive pseudo-Jeep (a Compass) and have no wife nor any kids (my favor to the world; one like me is enough).
I have shotguns from $1K to $3,300 and plan to acquire more. I also have no linen closet; I have a shell closet.
I like my priorities. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Agree 100% on the $800 and around used Citori's as being great values- especially those with 26" barrels!

A gun that handles like that is a mistake at any price. Some guns are cheap for a reason; in said case, it's because they handle like a waterlogged broken-off fencepost, and the idea of actually using one for upland hunting makes me laugh. Hard.

But... There are some good $800 used guns. See the current classifieds, for an SKB 20 Gauge, for example.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Quote:

A gun that handles like that is a mistake at any price. Some guns are cheap for a reason; in said case, it's because they handle like a waterlogged broken-off fencepost, and the idea of actually using one for upland hunting makes me laugh. Hard.

But... There are some good $800 used guns. See the current classifieds, for an SKB 20 Gauge, for example.

Read more: posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=253741#ixzz1IJ2zLhd8

BarryD - that was too easy! or else you've been waiting to swing at that slow pitch all day. I thought it was "cinderblocks and fence posts" or something?

Come on, the Citori is a great gun and even those of us that shoot both Beretta's and Brownings usually agree on that point!

Somehow a lot of us have had some pretty happy days in the field with our Citori's and suffered through it with a smile on our ignorant faces. I don't think the pheasants and grouse seem to know the difference when they end up in our vests. My dog will occasionally give me a disapproving look though (maybe she doesn't think I'll be successful with the 26" barrels)