It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Make-it-yourself gun cleaning patches.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Lol his is much more refiined..When I was a kid say 16 I could never get to a store that had larger patches than for my .22 LR. So when i got my first shotgun a single shot 16 GA I had nothing to really clean the barrel with..so I thought what can i get down there that would fit tight enough to make a difference..first try was a simple wadded up kleenex or one folded in such a way to be tight but not get jammed...they often were too thin and a PITA so paper towels were a bit sturdier and been using them ever since that was about 1984 or there abouts :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I thought it was a very thoughtful post. The man seems to really care about his shotgun and it's cleanliness. I'm going to try it with my blue shop paper towels that are very inexpensive at places like Harbor Freight, and stronger than kitchen paper towels.

One thing I have done for years cleaning all my guns is to combine the patch part and the bronze brush part. I wrap my wet solvent patches around the bronze brush and scrub until the patches comes out pretty clean. Then a final patch with a light spray of Breakfree CLP on it. This keeps all my barrels shiny bright and is very quick and easy to do. My Kriieghoff and H&K USP love it.

Here is good video of shotgun cleaning that may be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92TioSkntK8

You can use a pure 100% copper scrubbing pad (get at grocery store) tear off a piece and wrap it around the bronze brush to pull any really heavy fouling out of your pistols or long guns. The copper scrubby material sort of works like steel wool, it is much tougher than any lead or plastic and most copper fouling but multiple times softer than a steel barrel so no worry about scratching.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:03 pm 
Crown Grade

It's a cool idea,but I buy a bag of ready made patch's and hook them to my cleaning rod end,just too
lazy to bother ,besides the small cotton patches can be dipped into a bottle of Hoppe's #9 nitro
solvent where his patches won't fit into the bottle and also a Tico tool is always ready at hand, to do it's job,but it does have applications?