It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: WHY SHOTGUNS "FIT" OR DO NOT FIT DIFFERENT SIZE SHOOTERS
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:05 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for your help guys. Can you install an adjustable comb on any gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

Post subject: Re: WHY SHOTGUNS
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Loganshy wrote:

No. It depends on how much wood is available to make a cut and install hardware, above the bolt hole in the stock. Mark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What a fantastic post. THANK YOU! I posted to this so I can refer to this when my new gun arrives in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Savannah,

If you have any questions when your guns arrives, feel free to call me in Wisconsin:
920-464-0124.

And, I am having a new website built that should be finished in the next week or so.

It will have two discussion pages, one for questions about shooting form and the other for questions pertaining to stock fitting. There will be experts on both topics that, along with myself, will answer your questions.

At the moment, I am the only one answering questions. The "featured contributors" will not be added until the website is completed and things are the way I want them, initially, anyway.

Again, at the moment, 10/14/14, the website URL is http://www.shotgunfittings.com. That will soon change to http://www.stockfitting-shootingform.com.

When the websit is completed, I will post a new thread to that effect.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thank you Rollin. You can bet when you post your site, I will be one of the first to join. I am in the process of reading your book as we speak. I purchased it from Amazon. I will have many questions!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Loganshy wrote:

My comb actually had to be made because there was not enough wood. My Beretta 682 had been drilled out for a mercury recoil reducer. So, where there is a will there is a way. My comb is covered in black leather.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Savannah - you'll love Rollin's book. I got it last year and have read it several times now. I can confidently adjust my stock to fit me quite well, and the benefit to shooting form and consistency is significant. Now if only I could see the target better...

PM or contact sales@hollywoodoptical.com for details

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John,

Consider getting a copy of "An Insight to Sports." There is a little more information about the book and its author in my book - in the suppliers section, as I recall (or just Google it).

The book explains how to see targets better/more clearly.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks Rollin - I'll look into that right now - I can feel and tell the difference (broken targets) when my focus is hard, but keeping that consistent has been a challenge, and is especially difficult when my eyes are fatigued.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What you are likely to find most useful is a concept called, "centering."

Exercise: Pick out an object on the other side of the room and look at it. This is the way we look at virtually everything.

Next, pick out a small portion or a small feature on the object and look at it. You have just centered on the object. Your concentration on the object has increased and the surrounding objects and background have become less apparent.

With clay targets, they will seem larger and may even seem to slow down. You can practice on other shooters' targets but be aware that it can lead to the fatigue of your eye muscles if you do it too long.

You can also practice centering wherever you are. Just concentrate on a small area of whatever you are looking at. Centering is a learned skill and will require practice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, I've heard and read of this excersize, and have been trying it - both on others' targets, and while driving on the freeway. And when I consciously apply it on the field, the target breaks. Consistency, ah, there's the rub.

Looking forward to getting the Insights into Sports book. If it's anywhere as good as The Stock Fitters Bible, it'll be money well spent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:26 am 
Limited Edition

I read upland bird hunters can get away with a gun that doesn't fit due to the angle of the shot. If you took your gun that you shoot well on American upland and use it for an English driven pheasant hunt, you probably not be happy. Gun fit is more unforgiving on high shots.

Would this be mainly a LOP problem?

Thanks.

Know where your barrel is.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Crossing shot wrote:
I read upland bird hunters can get away with a gun that doesn't fit due to the angle of the shot. If you took your gun that you shoot well on American upland and use it for an English driven pheasant hunt, you probably not be happy. Gun fit is more unforgiving on high shots.

Would this be mainly a LOP problem?

Thanks.

Yes and no. (How's that for a simple but meaningless answer?)

(I'm not sure what you mean when you write that hunters" can get away with" guns that don't fit because of the angle of their shots but I believe that guns that fit allow a better shooting form, which results in greater shooting success regardless of the flight paths of the targets.)

High English pheasants create a LOP problem but it may be caused by an error in the shooting form that is used, particularly, how the muzzle is pointed up at driven pheasants.

A mistakenly simple but I believe a relatively common way of pointing a gun at a high target is to simply pivot the gun up on the shoulder. The problem that results is the that cheek would slide forward on the stock. That in turn would raise the level of the eye relative to the rib with guns having field stocks, which have rising combs. That could cause the shot to go over the target.

A more effective way to point a gun at a high pheasant is to arch the back. When it is possible, it would aid in maintaining cheek placement on the comb. Obviously, this would not be sufficient on a bird that was directly overhead but it would help.

Also, not all hunters are capable of arching their backs enough to make a significant difference in keeping their cheek in place on the comb. (Maybe, these hunters should consider eating fried chicken.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Trapperjohn01 wrote:
Yes, I've heard and read of this excersize, and have been trying it - both on others' targets, and while driving on the freeway. And when I consciously apply it on the field, the target breaks. Consistency, ah, there's the rub.

Looking forward to getting the Insights into Sports book. If it's anywhere as good as The Stock Fitters Bible, it'll be money well spent.

Insights book has about 30 pages of eye exercises and they do help. We tend to use our big muscle groups to see...someone calls your name off to the right and you turn your whole body or head to see them when you could have used those six little eye muscles....or you search the sky by waving a shotgun around to see that second target instead of moving the eyes first, then the gun. Few people actually exercise their eyes, train them. Good book.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks mismost- that the exercises work is good to hear. With any luck, after a while, my hulking eye muscles will fatigue less as well!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:53 pm 
Utility Grade

lots of good info thank you

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:24 am 
Tournament Grade

So I'm with Steeler nation im 6'4, have a pretty long neck and very long arms and high cheek bones. I've been using "the Bob Brister" method and building up the combs of my guns with mole skin and electric tape. I also seem to like a LOP of 15inches or a little more. Two questions maybe three? I seem to be in the minority but a sizable one, were I like my skeet& game guns to shoot at little hight 60/40 is fine 70/30 is better. I feel this prevents me from having to "loose the bird" by passing the muzzles directly through it. Is this just an issue from poor fit or just a way some prefer and others don't, meaning do I need a high comb? Or is my gun fit so bad that it's got me seeing stuff others don't? 2nd im 26 years old and pretty athletic but not overly bulky in the chest, does my high mean I still need to reduce drop at toe? 3rd i shoot all my clays from an Olympic skeet style position. My "clay gun" has very long LOP and a very high comb. I constantly tell people they need more LOP and comb hight. But I myself prefer a little less LOP on my game guns? Am I crazy is there a difference? Thanks so much

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

abwolter wrote:
So I'm with Steeler nation im 6'4, have a pretty long neck and very long arms and high cheek bones. I've been using "the Bob Brister" method and building up the combs of my guns with mole skin and electric tape.
Building up the comb is the only to compensate for your high cheekbones.

I also seem to like a LOP of 15inches or a little more.
[color=#BF0000How you stand when you shoot (your stance) affects the correct length of your stock, its length of pull (LOP). If you shoot a shotgun like a rifle with an imaginary line across your shoulders close to parallel with the direction of the shot, you will need a greater LOP than if you shoot with your stance rotated no more than 45 degrees.

The drop at the heel on your stock (distance of the top of the recoil pad [the heel] below the rib and/or the length of your neck and the height of your gun mount on your shoulder also affects the right LOP.)

This is because when you need to lean your neck forward to put your cheek on the comb, that lean requires extra stock length to maintain the nose/thumb separation necessary to keep the latter from bashing the former during recoil - 1" to 1.5" is the usual separation.
What you probably need is a unit called a "pad adjuster" like the ones made by Jones and 100-straight (and there are several others).

Pad adjusters allow the whole recoil pad to be lowered, as much as one inch. You should also consider mounting your gun with as much as an inch of the recoil pad extending above your collarbone. That along with a pad adjuster would allow you to shoot with a natural/normal head and neck posture. You would be able to shoot with your pupils in or nearly in the vertical centers of their sockets, which is much better than having to look "up" when you shoot.[/color]

Two questions maybe three? I seem to be in the minority but a sizable one, were I like my skeet& game guns to shoot at little height 60/40 is fine 70/30 is better. I feel this prevents me from having to "loose the bird" by passing the muzzles directly through it. Is this just an issue from poor fit or just a way some prefer and others don't, meaning do I need a high comb?
[When you mount the gun and you are looking right along the surface of the rib with no surface visible, the gun probably shoots 50/50. How high a gun shoots is a personal preference of the shooter and is most commonly changed by changing the height of the comb (the drop a the comb dimension, which is the distance of the comb below the rib).

With skeet targets rising very little, some shooters prefer a flat shooting gun while others prefer a gun that shoots a little high, 60/40 for example, so they never need to cover the target with the muzzle to provide the slight vertical lead necessary to break targets.

Or is my gun fit so bad that it's got me seeing stuff others don't? 2nd im 26 years old and pretty athletic but not overly bulky in the chest, does my high mean I still need to reduce drop at toe?
If I am understanding correctly, your primary fit issue other than the height of the comb, is your needing to lean your neck forward to put your cheek on the comb, which could be reduced or eliminated with a pad adjuster and a higher gun mount.

3rd i shoot all my clays from an Olympic skeet style position. My "clay gun" has very long LOP and a very high comb. I constantly tell people they need more LOP and comb height. But I myself prefer a little less LOP on my game guns? Am I crazy is there a difference? Thanks so much

I'm not sure what you mean here. Telling people that they need more LOP and a higher comb strikes me as odd. LOP was covered earlier and a higher comb simply means that the POI of the gun rises, which may or may not be beneficial.

With a shorter LOP, game guns are a little easier to mount, especially if the gun mount is not perfected by practice. If you wear heavier clothing when you hunt than you do when you shoot skeet, a LOP a quarter-inch shorter is a good idea.

Something else you might want to check is the pitch on your stock. Pitch is the angle formed by the recoil pad or butt plate and the rib, close to 90 degrees. The most common pitch problem is the pointe bottom part of the recoil pad (the toe) sticking out too far.

This is not good for a couple of reasons: When hunting, it promotes the toe catching on clothing during gun mounts. When shooting skeet, the toe may jab your shoulder and if the pitch is more out of whack, barrel (and comb) rise during recoil is increased, sometimes enough to cause "cheek slap<" which is the comb impacting the cheekbone during recoil.

You can check the pitch by mounting your gun with the barrel raised to a normal shooting height. If the pitch is right for you and the gun is brought back to your shoulder, the "whole" recoil pad, "top" to bottom will make simultaneous contact with your shoulder. (Quotation marks were used because if you mount the gun with the recoil pad extending above your shoulder, the "whole" pad will not contact your shoulder.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

Love your book! Best Bday present I've gotten in some time.

Remington shotguns and Ponsness Warren presses.....proof that God loves us.

- - - - - - - - - -
1100 Lt-20
1100 .410
870 Wingmater 28 ga.
Sportsman 58 16 ga.
Versa Max Sportsman
Versa Max Sportsman Turkey
11-87 Premier 12 ga.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm happy to hear you like the book, Tim.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next