CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SE Alabama"area" quail
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:51 am 
Presentation Grade

Does anyone have any experiance with quail preserves/lodges,etc within 100mi range of Dothan,Al that you would recommend to hunt (including SW Ga and N Fl )? I have hunted Piney Creek Plantation(Ga) / Oak Ridge Lodge(Al) that I would highly recommend...Shooting Dan-D-Ridge Lodge(Fl) sat morn for the first time.Just started back quail hunting couple of years ago after a long hietous..Now can't get enough..like an old addict returning to my roots :lol:...LOVE to watch those dogs work
I look froward to your suggestion...Thanks in advance for your recommendations/or warnings!
Sam

Post subject: Re: SE Alabama"area" quail
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm afraid I can't help with this one. I haven't hunted quail since the late 70's. Lack of a bird dog holds me back right now. However, I have jumped large covey's on every dove field I've been on (in the last couple of years) in Morgan County. That's encouraging at least. We'd love some reviews of the guided hunts you've been on.
Regards,
Jay G.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shilo Hunting Preserve in Elba. No frills but good dogs and priced reasonable. Don will go after the birds as long as there is daylight. 334-726-4365.
Wildcat outfitters south of Andalusia; Albert offers meals and lodging in a cabin or just day hunts. His steaks make Ruth Crisp taste like fast food. Well almost anyway. :) 334-504-2452.
Triple S is closest to you in Hartford but I heard that they are not open this year. Very open woods and good people. 334-726-0941. Marvin is his name.
If you have dogs, you can buy quail from Hughes Quail Farm in Enterprise and release your own. 334-393-0424.
Google Alabama quail trail and you can find more. But I can guarantee the ones above.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

I will definately look these places up...I used to deerhunt in andalusia with my father when i was a young boy...i'm not looking for frills...just an opprotunity for good hunting...sounds like wildcat outfitters would be a good overnight hunt with some friends/good steaks!!!! Thanks a bunch {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

One place I would reccomend is Riverview Plantation in Camilla Ga. This was the first commercial plantation in the state of GA and they have mastered the early release program and provide a hunt that is very close to wild bird hunting.... definitely not put and take. They hunt 14,000 acres I think. It's expensive BUT they offer a 35% discount around the hoildays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) If you can hunt these dates, their prices compete with most "put and take" preserves. At Riverview, you hunt off customized jeeps.

Quail Country Plantation in Arlington GA (between Dothan and Albany GA) is another place. Been there twice and am going back next week. They have an AWESOME operation! The birds are great! The do pre-season releases and also use Surrogators. They supplement during the season as well (weekly perhaps?). The birds flush as coveys and fly hard. They hunt off VERY nice jeep rigs. The guides are top notch!!!!!!! The dogs are among the very best! The also use labs and English cockers for flushing and retrieving. The food is Southern and is good enough that I would make the drive just to eat there! The rustic lodge is furnished with mounts, old hunting pictures, sporting art, indian artifacts and more. The 3500 acres of land is beautiful and diverse. You can hunt longleaf pine/wiregrass woods, thinned pine plantations, fallow farmland, etc.

Here are a few shots from past hunts there.

Covey held up in blow down.

Beautiful pineywoods with wiregrass understory.

Very nice rigs.

Dad and General, the flusher.

Rusty and Levi on point with Dad walking in to flush the covey.

Covey held up in hedgerow.

Point!

Flushing a single.

Three happy hunters.

Another place I have hunted is Pine Hill Plantation in Donalsonville GA. They have about 6000 acres of longleaf piney woods with bird patches of Egyptian wheat scattered about. This place is pricey but they hunt the old school way.... horseback and mule drawn wagon. Lodging is in one of 2 beautiful houses with private staff. We had 3 guides on out hunt. Huntmaster, Scout, and Wagonmaster. The dogs were top notch and so were the guides. The birds are about indistinguishable from wild birds. They release birds in late Summer and they fly hard. They do have an course for "periodic release" as well. The birds here fly well to but these birds haven't had as much time to acclimate. This hunt is also cheaper. A traditional wagon and horseback is something every quail hunter needs to experience at least once before they die!

Wagon Team.

Point.

The Pine Hill staff preparing our Field lunch.

The Covey Lodge.

Heading out.

http://riverviewplantation.com/
http://quailcountry.com/
http://pinehillplantation.com/

If you have your own dogs, I can point you to several tracts of public land in South Alabama, South Georgia, and North Florida that hold wild coveys. Just hunted a WMA this morning below Albany GA and found 2 big coveys (one had about 20 and one had about 15) in about 2 hours time.

Adam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here are a couple video clips of some covey rises to give you and idea of well their birds fly. Definitely better than most places. Please forgive the horrible video quality.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:30 am 
Presentation Grade

Those all seem to be "Top Notch" quail destinations...the Pine Hill Plantation Plantation would be a unbelievable nostalgic hunt!! Maybe before I die,I will get to experiance that slice of Heaven!
Thanks for the personal input Adam!!