CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No beginner's classes in Alabama?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all,

I am looking for an introductory-style class for someone who is new to shotguns.

I've tried searching NRA's database for either a First Steps or Basic Shotgun class. The closest one I could find was in Indiana, well over 300 miles away.

I've tried a few other websites as well, and have not found anything.

I would like to have someone who knows what they're doing with me the first time I fire my shotgun. Does anyone know of any resource I could contact?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: No beginner's classes in Alabama?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome to the shotgun world THX! You might call your nearby gun clubs or rifle ranges and see if they know of any instructors or classes. You might also check at your local sporting goods stores. In Louisiana, the Wildlife and Fisheries have a hunter safety class required for a hunting license, so you might call your states department, they would most likely have some info for you.

Post subject: Re: No beginner's classes in Alabama?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

THX, welcome!

We, Lower Wetumpka Shotgun Sports Club, offer beginner classes and also know Selwood Farms does. I am pretty sure the other sporting clays ranges offer them too but can't speak 100%.

Every shooter is a little different so each class is a little different. We have had a clinic through first shots and liked their help, but the first shots helps recruit primarily but we will be hosting a few next year (more is always better.) If you give me a call or email I am sure we can setup something to help. Our classes cover from the extreme basics to breaking some clays!

Here is the guide I developed over the years for the classes too large for me to handle on my own:
http://www.lwssc.com/otherpages/youth.htm