It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elm Fork Shooting Sports in Dallas
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

We won't need the lights for long, today, sunset is at 7:37 pm and it won't be long before it stays light until 8 pm or later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have been out there at about 11AM on Wednesdays and Fridays and there is usually someone out there who will get you into the clubhouse to let you shoot.

I guess you could call first and see if someone will be there for sure before you go.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:48 am 
Field Grade

I heard some informal news checking in the other day that some new updates may be coming to EF.

1. A card system on the sporting clays (like the skeet already has).

2. Supposedly some sort of membership option as a result of the card system. Still unclear whether this might allow some early hours access or not.

Personally I'd be thrilled of EF would open at 8 on weekdays like Alpine to allow a round of clays in in the summer when it was not boiling outside. Evenings are hot in the summers here.

I'd be doubly thrilled if the would open Monday and Tuesday - I'd probably never go to Alpine since they are not really close for me, but Alpines operating hours are tops.

3. An overlay of third trap on the Vintage course to allow a second presentation on each station and a full 100. (maybe also to for supersporting?)

I think that's it.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:20 pm 
Crown Grade

The card system will count clays thrown, currently they have no way to control it. I've seen people shoot a lot more than 8/10 shots at a station.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:13 pm 
Field Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
The card system will count clays thrown, currently they have no way to control it. I've seen people shoot a lot more than 8/10 shots at a station.

I'm sure it will pay for itself in the long run. EF seems to me to always be customer focused and has the right attitude and will no doubt be flexible on absorbing the no birds and show pairs. And their trap maintenance seems to be at the top of the heap.

I always used to get a little chapped with the no bird/show pair policy on some of the other facilities using card systems. Not always friendly when one trap or other is breaking them on trues, etc. I have no issue paying for unbroken clays, but I don't want to argue about broken clays and who should bear the cost, and making 6 calls to the desk about trap problems. At one facility I've mostly given up and just shoot at and score the show pairs just to stay ahead of their no bird policy or I'd never pay and shoot an even 100/200 per visit, I'd always be over due to (their) no birds.

Another place factored it into their price per clay and counted everything - but still was cheaper than anywhere else in the end, which made everyone happy.

Still hoping for EF extending into mornings and weekdays at some point - they're my closest option.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:51 pm 
Crown Grade

A fellow at the counter (can't recall his name, not Hayden) corrected the late evening hours, it starts 5/31, not the week of 5/1. Not sure what games will be open but I suspect skeet, trap, and 5-stand.

I agree, opening early during a weekday or three would be nice in the summer, it does get hot. I work weekdays so that's out most of the time for me, but on the event I can shoot during the week it will be nice to shoot before noon.

Yes, it's only about 20 minutes from my house - close. Alpine is an hour.

I think as long as they allow one show pair per group/station the card readers should be okay. But I do admit that I really enjoy the freedoms at Elm Fork, today. We skip crowded stations and come back later to shoot them, and shoot at our own pace. Not having a trapper glued to us is nice, too.

They are pretty lax in how things are run there. Half the time we are not issued wristbands, and only a couple times a year they all for my driver's license to get a cart key - which was only started six months ago. Not very consistent but that's fine with me. Maybe they're just used to seeing me there.

It's pretty common to see shells on the ground that shouldn't be shot there. It's not hard to find a #6 shot empty, or 3" mags. I found a #4 shot empty once. But for the most part, everyone behaves and it's all fun.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:47 pm 
Field Grade

Couldn't agree more. All in all EF is my favorite from a no-hassle factor and proximity.

They do have more first timers (and groups of 6), newbie traffic, and corporate outings, but even that is absorbed so as to be mostly a non-issue by the scale of the place.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:16 pm 
Crown Grade

They have those wood shooting stations at pretty much every station now. I can actually drive out there and back without needing a car wash! New Velcro on some of the cart gun holders, too.

Was out there weekend before last and a big ol bobcat walked right across the trail in from of our cart between Woods station 5 & 6. He seemed almost tame. Just looked at us a couple times and browsed into the woods. Beautiful animal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 pm 
Crown Grade

A couple views of stations.ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:22 pm 
Crown Grade

This last week they finished the poured cement and added covers. This is Skeet 6:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:46 pm 
Field Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
I can actually drive out there and back without needing a car wash!

Luna Rd (or the southern 500 yds of EF) really needs a fix. The truck damage has taken it's toll on the road. Been this way for 30 years I am aware of... alas.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes and it's gotten worse. I used to come in from the north (LBJ) but that was really bad last time I tried it.

My guess is the city doesn't want to put in a new road because those big trucks driving through there will just tear it up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:59 pm 
Field Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
My guess is the city doesn't want to put in a new road because those big trucks driving through there will just tear it up.

(now for the most off color post of the year)I used to see the same rationale when my son was a toddler about using the facilities and bothering with 'tp'. He'd say he was "just going to have to go again soon, why bother".

Back to the regular channel:

New at EF this week: Promatic Wi-card Sporting Claymate controllers. Functional on the Woods course as of today. Mounted but not wired on the Meadows. Somewhat of a challenge in some cases where they are putting the little motorcycle sized batteries to power them.

A "whole nother" thing to have to call in about - dead controller batteries.

At EF I'd guess they'll pay for themselves in pretty short order.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 am 
Crown Grade

So, on Woods you have to put a card in at each station, and it counts the shots?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:58 pm 
Crown Grade

I shot there this morning, thought the guy in the pro shop said that the new hardware was installed but not yet optional. In case it was, we had already decided to shoot Meadows anyway, and the new card readers were installed there, too - but not yet optional.

I had forgotten how Meadows was not all that great in the morning due to the sun in the face. But it was not bad at 9:45 and only got better. In the new shooting stations I can stand behind a wood post and typically block the sun that way. Or wear a ball cap.

Pretty good sized crowd today, even Meadows was busy. Woods looked packed, 2-3 carts deep in #2 & #3 when pulling in. I don't shoot tournaments but there's one tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

EF is talking about doing a membership deal which gives you a discount on the targets. They will load the targets on your own card. That way the clays course will open to members everyday from about 8AM till dark. You won't have to go into the club house to pay. You can show up and shoot anything that is available. You will be able to shoot anything you want to. You just go directly to the range and use your card till the targets are all used up. Then you buy more.

Unlike the Dallas Gun Club, EF will probably give you some extra show targets. It always pisses me off that you pay for even the show targets and broken birds at the DGC. You can complain about broken birds at the desk when you pay out, but if you have more than a few, they look at you like you are trying to get something for nothing.

The EF membership will also probably get you some discounts on ammo, clothing, and other stuff they sell. It may even get you a free cart to use. It will depend on how much they want to charge for the membership, and what all they want to give you for it. It will probably only be a good deal if you shoot at least once a month or more.

They were talking about letting members reserve a head of time a skeet or trap field, or a spot on the 5 Stand during busy hours.

They may even have a corporate membership that several people can use.

All are good ideas, but have to be worked out so that everything goes smoothly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:53 pm 
Field Grade

The Promatic controllers on the Woods are functional and on free-play mode (like for tournaments) for now. Meadows has the Promatic controllers mounted but not connected. Still using the old cords and switch boxes.

I'm all for being able to shoot the EF courses early in the day when it is blistering hot outside, and for being able to shoot on Mondays and Tuesdays. This is one of the reasons Alpine gets my traffic in the summer mornings and open every day schedule. At EF the cabanas are wonderful but it is still freakin' hot at noon in the summer here no matter where you stand. EF is 25 minutes from my house, Alpine is 45+ with no traffic.

I wonder how they'll work out renting their carts without going to the club house or no open club house? I'll never own a golf cart and my physical limitations prevent me from walking the courses at present.

Hoping for the best on memberships - EF would easily be the top club I go to if they do it right. I'll be at the front of the line to sign up. Certainly can't justify a DGC membership.

I hear ya on the no bird policy. Another club nearby does the same thing and anything more than a couple broken clays and they have to call the boss and then look at you like you're trying to rob them. A dead battery on trues (not uncommon) easily eats up 4 birds on one station without even thinking about it. Got so bad that we just started shooting the show pair to stay ahead of the card count nonsense. Kinda fun trying to figure out what a trap is going to do by looking at it - and even more fun if you can't see the trap at all. Keeps you on your toes.

I heard today that they're having problems with the Promatic controller electronics on the Meadows due to that gigantic power line going through the course. They're not sure if the problem can be resolved in the short term. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Great info guys, thank you!

I'm about 20 min from EF, 55-60 from Alpine and that makes a big difference to me. I'd love to be involved with a private club within 1/2 hour of the house, but there just aren't any. EF is expense but I have shot Woods with a cart (2 people) not pushing it, in two hours round trip, from my house.

Being gone four hours a weekend day gets the wife looking at me funny, too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

They now have 4 machines at each station on the Dove Course so you can shoot a number of singles or different true or report pairs at each station. Since the Dove course is pretty close you don't even need a cart to shoot it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:06 pm 
Crown Grade

That ought to be fun. Shot Woods on Saturday and the Promatic devices were still in Free mode. It is nice having buttons that work well.

The course seemed to be set up really easy though... we were shooting report pairs as true just to add a little challenge. There were no declare true pairs. I shot an 84 which is higher than I normally do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next