It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Elm Fork Shooting Sports in Dallas
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

We won't need the lights for long, today, sunset is at 7:37 pm and it won't be long before it stays light until 8 pm or later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have been out there at about 11AM on Wednesdays and Fridays and there is usually someone out there who will get you into the clubhouse to let you shoot.

I guess you could call first and see if someone will be there for sure before you go.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:48 am 
Field Grade

I heard some informal news checking in the other day that some new updates may be coming to EF.

1. A card system on the sporting clays (like the skeet already has).

2. Supposedly some sort of membership option as a result of the card system. Still unclear whether this might allow some early hours access or not.

Personally I'd be thrilled of EF would open at 8 on weekdays like Alpine to allow a round of clays in in the summer when it was not boiling outside. Evenings are hot in the summers here.

I'd be doubly thrilled if the would open Monday and Tuesday - I'd probably never go to Alpine since they are not really close for me, but Alpines operating hours are tops.

3. An overlay of third trap on the Vintage course to allow a second presentation on each station and a full 100. (maybe also to for supersporting?)

I think that's it.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:20 pm 
Crown Grade

The card system will count clays thrown, currently they have no way to control it. I've seen people shoot a lot more than 8/10 shots at a station.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:13 pm 
Field Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
The card system will count clays thrown, currently they have no way to control it. I've seen people shoot a lot more than 8/10 shots at a station.

I'm sure it will pay for itself in the long run. EF seems to me to always be customer focused and has the right attitude and will no doubt be flexible on absorbing the no birds and show pairs. And their trap maintenance seems to be at the top of the heap.

I always used to get a little chapped with the no bird/show pair policy on some of the other facilities using card systems. Not always friendly when one trap or other is breaking them on trues, etc. I have no issue paying for unbroken clays, but I don't want to argue about broken clays and who should bear the cost, and making 6 calls to the desk about trap problems. At one facility I've mostly given up and just shoot at and score the show pairs just to stay ahead of their no bird policy or I'd never pay and shoot an even 100/200 per visit, I'd always be over due to (their) no birds.

Another place factored it into their price per clay and counted everything - but still was cheaper than anywhere else in the end, which made everyone happy.

Still hoping for EF extending into mornings and weekdays at some point - they're my closest option.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:51 pm 
Crown Grade

A fellow at the counter (can't recall his name, not Hayden) corrected the late evening hours, it starts 5/31, not the week of 5/1. Not sure what games will be open but I suspect skeet, trap, and 5-stand.

I agree, opening early during a weekday or three would be nice in the summer, it does get hot. I work weekdays so that's out most of the time for me, but on the event I can shoot during the week it will be nice to shoot before noon.

Yes, it's only about 20 minutes from my house - close. Alpine is an hour.

I think as long as they allow one show pair per group/station the card readers should be okay. But I do admit that I really enjoy the freedoms at Elm Fork, today. We skip crowded stations and come back later to shoot them, and shoot at our own pace. Not having a trapper glued to us is nice, too.

They are pretty lax in how things are run there. Half the time we are not issued wristbands, and only a couple times a year they all for my driver's license to get a cart key - which was only started six months ago. Not very consistent but that's fine with me. Maybe they're just used to seeing me there.

It's pretty common to see shells on the ground that shouldn't be shot there. It's not hard to find a #6 shot empty, or 3" mags. I found a #4 shot empty once. But for the most part, everyone behaves and it's all fun.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:47 pm 
Field Grade

Couldn't agree more. All in all EF is my favorite from a no-hassle factor and proximity.

They do have more first timers (and groups of 6), newbie traffic, and corporate outings, but even that is absorbed so as to be mostly a non-issue by the scale of the place.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:16 pm 
Crown Grade

They have those wood shooting stations at pretty much every station now. I can actually drive out there and back without needing a car wash! New Velcro on some of the cart gun holders, too.

Was out there weekend before last and a big ol bobcat walked right across the trail in from of our cart between Woods station 5 & 6. He seemed almost tame. Just looked at us a couple times and browsed into the woods. Beautiful animal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 pm 
Crown Grade

A couple views of stations.ImageImage