CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teal and dove opener
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:43 pm 
Global Moderator

Tomorrow looks real promising for some teal to swing through north AL. I have heard reports of birds in and around Montgomery,all along the TN river, and all the way down in LA. The weather pattern was perfect for them to ride the front.

I checked with the point man just awhile ago and he had 2 birds sitting in the decoys....yep, he has been out there since about 4pm holding the spot. Its public river hunting and if you snooze you loose. If all goes well we should see some birds around first light and then again as they get bumped around till about 8:30.

Then it will be a pack it in to go get ready for a dove hunt that afternoon that has a BBQ lunch right before. I was by the field early in the week and there were dove all along the power lines.

This year looks to be starting off to a good start, but its hunting and I may not pop a cap. But that part is secondary to the good friends, junk food, and the anticipation.

Be safe and I'll see yall Sunday evening.

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

Post subject: Re: Teal and dove opener
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well my dove opener went great! My cousin had us (about 15 of us) setup on a 35 acre field. Lots of dove! I shot about a box and a half (got 5 :oops: ). Over half of the other shooters limited out. Afterwards, we had the group dove cleaning and a big dove barbecue that I couldn't stick around for. It was a really great day...got to visit with some of my family...shot at lots of dove.

P.S. The next day my wife went on her first dove hunt...hopefully she'll post about it. September has been good so far.

regards,
Jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:59 pm 
Global Moderator

The teal did what teal are good for.....not being where you want them to be.

There were birds all over the day before but with a steady wind out of the north they must have kept on trucking south. We had 2 come in the dekes and 2 stayed. Other than the 3 that were sitting in the dekes before shooting time that was all that we saw.

Heard the same thing from folks across the state....saw many on Friday but had no shows on Sat.

The dove shoot was much better. Lots of birds were working the fields as we were munching on duck and goose kabobs before noon. It was miserable hot but by 3pm they started to stream in steady. I had about 10 birds when it was all said and done, feathered a couple of others so I counted them in the bad even though a coon or possum is going to get the benefit.

Its teal time, so hopefully they will hang around or I'll be out there when they are.

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like a good day Rick :D I actually saw a few flocks of Teal when we were dove hunting. Must've been 2,000 feet up, though.
Oh, and if we're counting the feathered ones then I got 7 dove.
regards,
Jay G.