Shotgun Forum banner

Dove Season!

27K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  bobski 
#1 ·
It's nearly August and I'm starting to get twitchy. By August 15th I'll have checked all my decoys and my Mojo about 10 times.

You guys in northern MO, how are the birds up there this year? There are plenty of birds in this part of the state and we should have a very good openning day.

Good luck to all.

#29 ·
Claycomo -
I too am looking forward to the season. I'll probably spend opening day out at a dairy farm where a good friend lets me shoot. I sincerely hope for a better year this year.

#30 ·
Bruce - I have a similar plan this year and had similar results last year! Went by the dairy farm that I will probably hunt and did not see any corn cut yet, hope that happens in the next couple of weeks. Farmer was out haying at another location so I did not get to speak with him. No sunflowers to be found either except for a couple of pay to play places that are private and apparently they have been drawing all the young birds away from us the past couple of years. The guy that I hunt with has been having some medical issues recently and may not be able to hunt the dove opener so I am still looking for options and hoping for the best also. :)

#31 ·
huntinmo -

I have not had the opportunity to talk to my friend yet either. Hopefully, he will have cut quite a bit by this time, but I'm not holding my breath. We had a cold, wet spring and I doubt if they got much planted early.

Where are you located? We might be able to link up for a hunt some time.

#32 ·
I live in Barnhart, about 30 miles south of St. Louis on I-55, and for the past few years have been hunting mostly locally for doves. Getting harder each year to justify the cost of gas to travel much, but used to hunt in the Sikeston and Malden areas when I had a friend who was well acquainted in that area, but he is no longer there and I have not been there in several years. I do travel to West Plains now and then to visit wife's family, but have not been in that area during dove season.

#33 ·
I think we would be a little too far apart to try to set something up. Good luck this year.

#35 ·
Well, opening day has come and gone, and I had the best opening day I've had in 3 years, getting my limit early in the day. A good friend invited me to shoot on private land and we had a superb day. Hope this holds up for the rest of the season!

#38 ·
Looks like storms and rain here opening morning ,maybe get out in the afternoon I hope!

#39 ·
Possible storms and rain in the PM here. I'm shooting at a friends dairy farm. He has been cutting corn for about a week and I'm hopeful the doves have found the field!

Good luck and send some of your birds down our way.

#40 ·
All the corn has been cut on my farm and the hunting club lands. I am looking forward to spending the day with my two sons, blowing holes in the sky. Maybe a dove or 2 will intercept the shot. If not, I will enjoy a day with the boys. BTW, when I sold the farm, I maintained the hunting rights in perpetuity. As long as I live, I will have a place to hunt.

The club has over 8,000 acres and the farm has 240 acres of prime hunting lands. Though the club owner has gone up a bit on the lease from last year on the club lands, we will pay it just to have a place to hunt. He was charging $5 an acre, now $6 an acre. All the club members chip in and it doesn't hurt too much financially. I don't charge anyone to hunt on my place but the club does have a small daily fee.

I was planning to go to the hunting preserve but they charge $80 a day. Yet, they have hundreds of acres of sunflowers and swarms of doves. I think I will hunt my land and not have to put up with the crowds.

#42 ·
Third year in a row rained all night and storms, cleaning out now but area I hunt the road in and out is flooded ! Have to wait til I'm off on Friday now!

#43 ·
Went out for the afternoon hunt. Not great, but still pretty good. Got 9 birds for 18 shots. Man, I can't believe some that I missed!

#44 ·
glad to hear youre up to the task bruce.
come on by in oct. be glad to see ya again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.