Shotgun Forum banner

Sporting Clay Course Recomendations

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bobski 
#1 ·
I'm planning on trying my hand at Sporting Clays since the wife is out of town this weekend and I have the time, I was looking for recomendations on courses in MO.

I'm near Fort Leonard Wood and I was looking at going to one of the courses listed below, if anyone has any recomendations I would appreciate it.

Ozarks Shooters Complex (Branson)

United Sportsmens Club (Jeff City)

Prairie Grove (Columbia)

Rockbridge Gun Club (Rockbridge MO)

They are all about the same distance from me (2-3 hours) so distance isn't a huge factor, I just want to make sure its a nice course.

#2 ·
Prior to 6/13/12 (when I had triple bypass surgery) I shot at Ozark Shooters 3-4 times a week. Great people and usually there is someone around to shoot with. Ozark Shooters has two courses. The south course is considered to be a bit "softer". That depends. The south course is mostly shaded and targets are presented against a background of trees and Ozark skyline.

The north course is said to be a bit more challenging. Have some sun screen for this course.
Targets are presented against blue sky for the most part on this course, until you get to station 10. I suggest renting a cart for the north course.

On either course a shooter can shoot 50 or 100 targets. There is a Trap field, two skeet fields, and two five stand fields. If you choose Ozark Shooters, tell Peggy that Dave Westlin suggested this SC course. It won't get you or I any discounts, but at least she'll know I'm thinking about shooting again. :lol:

I can't speak to the other courses, as all I have is hearsay on them.

Good Luck, Have Fun, and enjoy the shooting. And I'm sorry I can't join you.

Regards,
Dave

#3 ·
Shootzum said:
Prior to 6/13/12 (when I had triple bypass surgery) I shot at Ozark Shooters 3-4 times a week. Great people and usually there is someone around to shoot with. Ozark Shooters has two courses. The south course is considered to be a bit "softer". That depends. The south course is mostly shaded and targets are presented against a background of trees and Ozark skyline.

The north course is said to be a bit more challenging. Have some sun screen for this course.
Targets are presented against blue sky for the most part on this course, until you get to station 10. I suggest renting a cart for the north course.

On either course a shooter can shoot 50 or 100 targets. There is a Trap field, two skeet fields, and two five stand fields. If you choose Ozark Shooters, tell Peggy that Dave Westlin suggested this SC course. It won't get you or I any discounts, but at least she'll know I'm thinking about shooting again. :lol:

Regards,
Dave
I hope your doing well after your surgery, my grandfather who's now 87 had a quadruple bypass done about 15 years ago and said he felt like a million bucks once he recovered but I know it can be a slow recovery.

Thanks for the advice, I had heard good things about the Ozarks Shooters club but I wanted to check around before I drove several hours to get there.

#4 ·
Shootzum said:

Regards,
Dave
Dave, thanks for the recomendation! I shot 250 rounds down at Ozarks Shooters today and had a blast! :D I shot the south course three time (50 rounds each time) and the north course once (100 rounds). It was a ton of fun and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

The north course was definetly way tougher. I shot a 35/50 on the south course and a 42/100 on the north course. I'm definetly hooked on sporting clays now!

#6 ·
POW-MIAneverforget said:
Dave, thanks for the recomendation! I shot 250 rounds down at Ozarks Shooters today and had a blast! :D I shot the south course three time (50 rounds each time) and the north course once (100 rounds). It was a ton of fun and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

The north course was definetly way tougher. I shot a 35/50 on the south course and a 42/100 on the north course. I'm definetly hooked on sporting clays now!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have about seven more weeks before I'm supposed to shoot and at the rate I'm going, it may be a bit sooner. Anyway, if you plan to make the trip again, send me a PM and I'll supply you my phone number. Maybe we can shoot together sometime.

As Hopper 810, said, "Welcome to the madness". Stash some cash before your wife hides your wallet. :lol:

Regards,
Dave

#7 ·
Prairie Grove has multiple courses and a really really tall tower. The Gates are really good folks & do everything 1st class. Can't say how challenging the courses are since I don't shoot clays, but most all is off in the woods.

#8 ·
rockbridge trout farm is a little pricey and small. heads up.
hey, on your way thru, stop on in at vanzant and get some skeet/trap warm up before heading to the s.clays range! we'd be glad to have you.
did they ever get the road to the skeet range repaved and done on ft L.wood ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.