It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Importing a Firearm From the USA to Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:30 am 
Crown Grade

Prophet River Firearms has a service where they will import a firearm from the United States into Canada.Check it out at www.prophetriver.com

Post subject: Re: Importing a Firearm From the USA to Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

What no takers to Canada?

"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:28 pm 
Field Grade

Has anyone tried this process through them?

Cost?

Ease of pain?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Max Owner wrote:

Cost?

Ease of pain?

I have not used Prophet Rivers import service but have delt with them in other things.Their web site states the cost at $195.00 per firearm.Discounts for more firearms.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:04 am 
Field Grade

Thanx 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:36 am 
Presentation Grade

28 gauge wrote:
Max Owner wrote:

Cost?

Ease of pain?

I have not used Prophet Rivers import service but have delt with them in other things.Their web site states the cost at $195.00 per firearm.Discounts for more firearms.

For an expensive firearm, this may be well spent money!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Do you know if that $195 includes shipping, duties, US fees and CDN costs, all in? I've imported a few for personal use and the costs do add up. $195 for the whole thing would be about the best option I know of.

FM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Algonquin wrote:
Do you know if that $195 includes shipping, duties, US fees and CDN costs, all in? I've imported a few for personal use and the costs do add up. $195 for the whole thing would be about the best option I know of.

FM

Any duties and taxes would be added to the bill.For firearms manufactured in the United States and Mexico there would be no duties.For firearms manufactured outside the United States or Mexico duties would apply.

www.prophertriver.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks 28,

I had a look at their site and have to say that I will give them a try next time an irresistible sidelock or some such decides to come North, my way. About $100 less fee than my usual broker and Prophetriver might be less wait time from the sounds of it.

Have you had experience with them?

Best wishes through the holidays and new year,

FM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Algonquin, I have not used Clay at Proiphet River Firearms as an imported yet.I purchased my new 28 gauge Ithaca Model 37 from him.He has great service and is a very easy person to talk with.If you have any questons give him a call I am sure he would enjoy answering any questons you may have.

The best wishes to you and yours over the Holidays.

Do you own any 28 gauge shotguns?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks 28,

I'll take yours as a very good recommendation of Clay as a contact for future plans.

I have dozens of 12 ga. but not one of the "other" gauges (except a .410 but that doesn't count). Since about all of the upland shooting I do is grouse I have considered a 20 for a number of compelling reasons. Is the 28 primarily a skeet shooter? With snap shots at rapidly departing grouse I have the suspicion less pellets is often less birds, am I wrong?

My preferred grouse guns are sxs IC/MOD choked.

Thank you and a fine new year to you and yours,

FM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Hello Algonquin.The 28 gauge is a great gauge in the uplands.It is the gauge I use for my partridge(ruffed grouse) hunting.Have used it with good results for years.I hunt without dogs.For the most part I would say a miss with a 28 gauge on partridge would be a miss with a 12 gauge.Most partridge are not shot at long distances,at least in my area of hunting.

Two of my favourite 28 gauge shotguns are my AYA SXS and my Franchi 48 AL.Both are light(5.5 pounds),low recoil and dependable.Great for carring on those long walks in the field.

Have only shot two pheasants and both were bagged with the 28 gauge.In the past when lead was legal I used the 28 gauge a bit duck hunting.

Check out the 28 gauge Society on the link below to see what some are doing with their 28 gauges.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:25 am 
Presentation Grade

I'll second the support for the 28 gauge.

I was a bit sceptical at first too, but the little 28 has worked it's way up to being my favourite grouse gun!

On the skeet range, I give nothing up to the 12 gauge with it either!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:59 am 
Utility Grade

I know this is an old post but I just found this message board yesterday.

Getting back to the original topic....I was under the assumption that a Canadian could drive across the border with passport and buy a new shotgun (for me it would be upper NY state) and upon returning to Canada I would just need my PAL (possession and aquisition licence). The gun registry is now still in effect so I expect I would have the proper documentation to process that with me as well.

I wonder what the duties would be on a gun? Anyone know?
Does anyone know if it is that easy?

I wouldn't be looking for anything special. Maybe even something as simple as a single shot 20 guage, something lighter than an old 12 guage for roughed grouse hunting.

Algonam
Lanark, ON, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 am 
Presentation Grade

Coming across the border with a gun isn't a problem, the trouble is that as a non resident, you can't legally buy a gun in the states without the proper export permits.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Algonam wrote:
I know this is an old post but I just found this message board yesterday.

Getting back to the original topic....I was under the assumption that a Canadian could drive across the border with passport and buy a new shotgun (for me it would be upper NY state) and upon returning to Canada I would just need my PAL (possession and aquisition licence). The gun registry is now still in effect so I expect I would have the proper documentation to process that with me as well.

I wonder what the duties would be on a gun? Anyone know?
Does anyone know if it is that easy?

I wouldn't be looking for anything special. Maybe even something as simple as a single shot 20 guage, something lighter than an old 12 guage for roughed grouse hunting.

Algonam
Lanark, ON, Canada

If it wree myself I would let Clay at Prophet River Firearms lookafter the paper work and bringing the firearm into Canada.

If the firearm was manufactured in the United States and I believe Mexico also, there is no import duty.If the firearm was manufactured else where duty will apply.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:57 am 
Field Grade

as to a gun coming from the USA, the seller has to get an export permit from BATF in most cases, there are some accessory items governed by the Dept of Commerce, which are not handled by BATF. Depends on who has jurisdiction on it, and apparently that is no easy thing to determine in some cases.
They can ship it to you to pickup at Canada Customs. If you get an import permit from ( I forget which dept) and send the seller a copy to send with the export documents. You also should get the s/n and a copy of the bill of sale to register it and send a copy of the registration along with the import permit to the seller to send with his permit application. And, then when you go to pick it up at Canada Customs, you have show them the import permit and the registration for it in order to pick it up.
The fella that runs Cabelas in Winnipeg had ( has?) to go to the border and pickup any item he stocks from the mother store that requires an export permit, they will not ship it across the border to him because of the permit hassles on their side. I found that out via phone to him last year, inquiring as to whether he could get me a Patternmaster choke which they would not ship to me :roll: along with other stuff I wanted (500.00 order---cancelled). I don't know how the Edmonton store will handle that issue.
Most of the American vendors cannot comprehend the laws and jurisdiction on a lot of that stuff. And anything that requires an export permit is not legal for a Canuck to possess & transport in the USA. Ie; check out Leupold's site and check out military style reticled scopes, no exports, stated right on the info on them, means no buy & transport , either.
If you go to a shoot and want to take a firearm, you'd better have a formal invite from the club, on paper, to show at the border. To go hunting you have to show a licence for where and what and when. And have whatever you take along signed out at Canada Customs before you leave, for when you come back--that can save problems on both sides of the border.

If you do a search on importing firearms , there are a couple of good sites explaining a bit of the detail on it.
If you really want something firearms related from down south, it's simpler to buy it here, or have someone like Prophet River bring it in for you.