It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not long now!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:49 pm 
Limited Edition

Well gents (and ladies?) it's only six days until ducks for me (Ontario WMUs 57, 58) and another 8 until grouse season. For ducks I'll mainly be jumping a few ponds and flooded dead timbers, usually finding woodies, mallards, and the occasional black, teal, and others. Grouse will be a nice stroll along the stone fence/tree lines of hay fields, and through some pine plantations. Who else out there has the fall hunting jitters?

Post subject: Re: Not long now!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:41 am 
Crown Grade

lockstock wrote:
Well gents (and ladies?) it's only six days until ducks for me (Ontario WMUs 57, 58) and another 8 until grouse season. For ducks I'll mainly be jumping a few ponds and flooded dead timbers, usually finding woodies, mallards, and the occasional black, teal, and others. Grouse will be a nice stroll along the stone fence/tree lines of hay fields, and through some pine plantations. Who else out there has the fall hunting jitters?

Inside duck season will open in my area of Nova Scotia on October 8th and partridge (ruffed grouse)season opens on October 1st.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:11 am 
Utility Grade

It's on!
Here in Eastern ONT and West Quebec the small game season is open.
Last weekend I started at roughed grouse hunting in western quebec-where the roads stop and the logging roads begin. It was too early though. Another couple of weeks before the leaves drop and it'll be nice and crisp with some snow here and there!

Algonam
Lanark, ON, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:12 am 
Utility Grade

It's on!
Last weekend I started at roughed grouse hunting in western quebec-where the roads stop and the logging roads begin. It was too early though. Another couple of weeks before the leaves drop and it'll be nice and crisp with some snow here and there!

Algonam
Lanark, ON, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Algonam wrote:
It's on!

Algonam
Lanark, ON, Canada

I know what you mean about early... The past couple of days I've struggled to flush the grouse. They've just been too well hidden. I've got a nice sized orchard to hunt on that usually produces bag limits within an afternoon that's excellent this time of year, but so far only two birds to speak of. My ducking expeditions have gone much better however. Opening weekend in my WMU got me my bag on both the Saturday and the Sunday. Not bad for jump shooting four ponds. Still, for all the trouble the grouse have given me thus far, it's felt good to be out in the fresh air, absorbing mother nature and having the o/u in hand.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:00 pm 
Limited Edition

By the way Algonam, it would appear that I'm just a hop, skip, and a jump away from you in the Barry's Bay/Combermere areas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:29 am 
Utility Grade

Yeah, that's not too far up the valley!
FYI, I was hunting across the Ottawa river in Quebec, in one of their Zec's.

Unfortunatley I don't know of any grouse hunting areas on our Ontario side that isn't private land. Also, it isn't easy to find the crown land areas as they aren't marked.

A buddy and I have committed to get up your way, maybe a bit more south) to look around and hunt for a day, but at that rate it may take years to find a spot!

I don't expect anyone to give up their sweet spots so asking around will never work.

Enjoy the season, it doesn't last long!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:32 pm 
Limited Edition

It can be tough determining what's crown and what isn't up around here. Luckily, in the nine or so years I've lived in the valley, I've come to at least know what's private and what's not around my area. It also helps that I know quite a few guys who are all too willing to let me walk their skidder trails when their out of use. This weekend was a far better hunt for grouse. Five on Saturday and four today. They're starting to move around the apple trees more now. That coupled with the three mallards on Saturday morning, it was a good weekend for me. :D