CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red Mountain Trap and Skeet is closed (RMTS)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

This is not to be replyed to, but for information only.

You now have two choices in Phoenix, Arizona.

Depending on the distance you live from these clubs, you have Ben Avery and Phantom(Luke Airforce Base).

For those whom decide to lean toward Phantom, we are a two skeet field operation.

We are only open on Saturdays(at this point).

Membership is $25. per year(at this point in the year it would cost about $13. for the rest of the year).

This is run open to close by volunteer retired military.

Hours can range from 9:00 AM to early afternoon.
There are those that have been shooting here for years that come out early and are done by 10:00 AM(these are the older die hards that frequent it every Saturday and have established a place to do their thing and rightfully so)

So let it be noted that we can accompany those that used to shoot at RMTS after 10:00 AM on Saturdays.(do I make myself clear ?)(if not, then I will say this, it is a two field club with very nice ex military and older folks that have earned a place to shoot and need not be over run by other shooters)

And besides...
You do not want to shoot H2 before 10:00 AM anyway at Phantom.(trust me, I know ).

We replaced the old Westerns with Materelli traps about two years ago and the squads pull for themselves.(volunteers open and close the range on the base and sometimes someone will volunteer to pull for a squad if they so desire so you do not need the added distraction to get in good practice)(most all good skeet shooters make good pullers). And Phantom is full of good skeet shooters

If you have any other questions, just PM me and give me your phone number and I will return your call when I get a chance(cause I am a working man).Or just head out to Phantom on Saturday at 9:30-10:00 AM and enjoy

Edited to say $25. per year and not $50. per year membership(sorry was thinking of Red Mountain)

$4. per round to members and $5. per round for non members[cash or checks only].

One bird at a time...

One bird at a time...

Last edited by CPXSSKEET on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: re: Red Mountain Trap and Skeet is closed (RMTS)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:00 pm 
Limited Edition

There is another choice for shotgun shooting in the east valley, but not for trap & skeet. Rio Salado Sportsman's Club in Mesa has an excellent sporting clays course with 16 stations; check out www.riosaladosportsmans.com. With the demise of Red Mountain, Rio will now be formulating plans to add trap and skeet fields to the property, but this will take a while. Also, be aware that Red Mountain was the local distributor for White Flyer targets, supplying targets to both Rio Salado and Ben Avery. We're still not sure how Red Mountain's closure will affect this distributorship.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

An update to some questions that have been asked that I forgot to disclose.

(1) You do not need to be military or ex military to shoot at Phantom.(only those whome open and close it have to be cause it is on the base).

(2) Anyone from beginners to established skeet shooters are welcome(we are are good bunch of shooters and do not mind who comes out as long as you put safety first).

(3) A membership is $25. per year running from Jan to Dec(if you joined now it would be $12.50) [cash or check only]

(4) Cost per round of skeet is $4. for members and $5. for non members.[cash or check only]

(5) Phantom is located at the South tip of the air field.
I take the I-10 west to the 303 head North to Bethany Home and head East and you will run right into it after the big curve at the end of the run way(you will see a brownish building that is the club house and a red flag waving at the top of the pole).

(6) While your squad is shooting keep an eye out for the security and joggers that come by. They are supposed to stop at the designated area and blast the siren to draw attention and everyone stops and waves them past. Once they are past the other end of the designated area, then resume firing.

(7) Yes on Saturdays on occasion you will see fighter jets and refueling tankers land and or take off(very impressive).

Any other questions, please feel free to send me a PM
Thanks;

Last edited by CPXSSKEET on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

So let it be noted that we can accompany those that used to shoot at RMTS after 10:00 AM on Saturdays.(do I make myself clear ?)(if not, then I will say this, it is a two field club with very nice ex military and older folks that have earned a place to shoot and need not be over run by other shooters)
With that attitude I donot think you will be "over run" at all :!:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sitduck;

This post was not meant for reply, only information purposes only.

Re read Psalms 121

This is not Texas...

You must be young and do not understand anything about Phantom.

End of subject.

Next time PM me with your phone number and then when we talk, you will understand my statement.

Do I make myself clearer :!:

Last edited by CPXSSKEET on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

East Valley Friends of NRA Sponsored

2009 NRA Arizona Classic Sporting Clays Tournament

January 24, 2009

Rio Salado Sportsman's Club

On Saturday, January 24th, the East Valley Chapter of Friends of NRA will begin its fundraising season with the first annual NRA Classic Sporting Clays Tournament located at the Rio Salado Sportsman's Club.

This inaugural NRA Lewis Class Tournament features a 100-target event. Admission costs are $75 per person which will include a tasty barbeque lunch, an NRA premium folding knife, dozens of prizes, cash payouts, team events, and a chance to win some incredible gun raffle packages offered by 2009 East Valley Friends of NRA Committee as part of this year's fundraising banquet.

The 2009 NRA Classic begins with a shotgun start at 8 a.m. promptly. The high scoring winner of this event will be named the Arizona 2009 NRA Sporting Clays Champion and will receive the following grand prize:

-$150, Master Class range bag, Gripswell shooting gloves, and two free tickets to the East Valley Friends of NRA fundraiser banquet on April 4th being held at the Mesa Hilton Hotel.

In 2008, the Arizona Friends of NRA granted more than $300,000 statewide for range improvements, shooting and gun safety programs, youth trips, and various projects for police departments, and gun clubs throughout Arizona. Rio Salado Sportsman's Club was the beneficiary of more than $25,000 in grants for its shooting teams and Scholastic Clay Target Program support.

To register for the NRA Arizona Sporting Clays Classic, call the Rio Salado Sportsman's club at (480) 984-3724, or pre-register via e-mail to rangemanager@riosaladosportsmans.com. Registration for this event will be limited to the first 70 shooters.

For more information on this NRA shoot and the East Valley Friends of NRA banquet on April 4, 2009, call Committee Chair, JP Nelson at (480) 357-4057, or Co-Chair, Woody Wilson at (480) 345-2392.

NRA Foundation - 11250 Waples Mill Road - Fairfax, VA 22030

NSSA#169094
One bird at a time...

NRA 2700 Bullseye
2568 club : )
Distinguished revolver badge #99
EIC Service Pistol = 30 pts(need a hard leg)
10's and X's...

Post subject: Re: Red Mountain Trap and Skeet is closed (RMTS)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:59 pm 
Limited Edition

Just to update my earlier reply to this thread, Rio Salado Sportsman's Club in Mesa now has a combination 5 stand and 16 yard trap field in addition to our 16 station sporting clays field. The trap field is voice activated and has a card reader system to activate your match. We switch between wobble trap and regular trap. The combo field is run as a trap field on week days and 5 stand on the weekends. The field is also lighted for night time shooting. Check out the club website for additional info regarding business hours and leagues. We are still working with Game & Fish and the Forest Department to acquire land for multiple trap & skeet fields.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:27 pm 
Field Grade

ras1500 wrote:
We are still working with Game & Fish and the Forest Department to acquire land for multiple trap & skeet fields.

Any updates on this at all?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:49 pm 
Limited Edition

We're dealing with the AZ Game & Fish Department and other state bureaucracies. Thus, things are not moving very fast. But we are still pursueing getting additional land. Since my last posting, RSSC has built a combination 16 yard trap & 5-stand field on our existing property. There's a possibility that we can make one skeet field next to the trap/5-stand field. We're in the process of assessing that possibility plus making some changes to the existing sporting clays course. Keep checking the RSSC website for notification of range improvements.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

What are the hours of operation for Trap? I understand that Trap must be fit in with 5-Stand and other shooting. What are the rates for Trap and 5-Stand?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:34 pm 
Limited Edition

The trap fields are voice operated, thus they are open during normal business hours 7:00 - 5:30. Cost per round of 25 targets is $5.00 for members and $7.00 for non-menbers. Same rates for 5-stand. To verify the range is operational on the day you want to attend call the club office at 480-984-3724. The trap field is open during weekdays then it's run for 5-stand on weekends.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Is the information provided in the original post still valid for Phantom?
Thanks!