CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new mexico quail hunting
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Just moved to Albuquerque and love upland hunting. I am looking for someone to go hunting with in New Mexico to teach me about the habitat and tactics for these desert quail. I am from wisconsin so I am used to hunting woodcock, pheasant, and grouse but I feel a bit lost out here. Thanks alot. Please PM me.

Sean

Post subject: Re: new mexico quail hunting
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:31 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Well, here's how I was taught:

Find a area where quail live.
Drive around until a covey flushes, or you see some on the ground.
Stop, get out, start chasing them! The Blue (aka Scaled) Quail here are Runnin' SOB's...

Be prepared to hunt from Dawn 'til Dusk and not get a limit; that seems to be the norm.

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

Post subject: Re: new mexico quail hunting
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

While quail here are a bit more polite than California quial, it ain't by much. Gambels quail are cousins to the Valley quail, scaled quail are Texicans by nature. A recipie for rude.
Mearns quail, also called "Fools quail". can nearly be swatted on the ground. you will be dealing with scalies and Gambels mostly.
Find out where they are and shoot the covey rise. they will split into two or three bunches and fly a few hundred yards. IF you can stay on them and keep enough pressure on them to break them again, they will start to sit and hold. I say IF because most times you can't.
If you can't make the majic happen get back in the truck and repeat.
As BP so very well puts it, be prepared to hunt hard and if you should take five or six, you have had a splendid day.
Wear good boots, invest is some snake protection, I use SNAKEGUARDZ. Dig out your most colorful vocabulary and have at it!
This year will be not to pretty good I am guessing. We haven't had any moisture, lots of fires and the secondary preditor population is high.