CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Might be moving to Albuquerque, NM.... need some info
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:53 pm 
Field Grade

Currently been a cop for five years in Miami, FL. I want a change of scenery and Albuquerque PD is taking apps. Any info on Albuquerque, New Mexico? They aren't the only place I've submitted apps to but they called me back and want to to fly out in March for testing.

I'm not married, have no kids, not even tied down my a mortgage. Just filling out apps and seeing here they go. I want to move for a change of weather and geography. Also want to live in a state with a smaller population then Florida and more open land. Like to hunt, camp, fish, shoot. blah, blah blah. State must be NFA Friendly since I own a number of NFA item.

Post subject: Re: Might be moving to Albuquerque, NM.... need some info
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:51 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

NM is pretty firearm friendly, there is an "Open Carry" law and a very reasonable "CCW" carry law as well. ABQ will definitely be different from FL - much less humid, and a LOT colder in the winter! :D

Compared to Miami, ABQ will seem positively rural - are you ready for that? On the upside, there is lots of big game hunting here - Elk, Deer, even Oryx! The city built a new skeet field just west of town & north of I-40 a few years ago, they hosted the Zone 7 Championships, in '05 I think it was. Pretty nice, if basic, facility.

As far as population, there are probably more people in Miami than in all of NM.

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well if you are moving to Albuqurque and are the kind of LEO that craves action, you'll get it. The Folks in Albuqurque kicked the T.V. Show "COPS" out of town, because the show made the town look bad. Or so said the city fathers. Point is, it IS high crime.
Also, the corruption in LE in New Mexico is rampant, at every level.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I have lived in NM for most of my life. I have worked throughout the US. Corruption is no more rampant here at any level.

Having a few shooting friends who are LEOs, I have some sense of what crime and LEO environment is like. Counties departments are run by elected officials just like most counties in the USA. Some are better than others. But that is true of private sector managers also.

Like most places, different parts of the city have different cultures and attitudes. The public schools are great in some places and marginal in others. The schools are funded by the state and not through the property tax system.

There are work opportunities here for former LEO at the local and federal level. If you are into competitive shooting there is always a match each weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Unfortuantely, there are a few individuals that like to open their mouths and let the rubbish flow.

If you have any questions on particular matters, please don't hesitate in asking; many of us are willing to help. As far as the hunting and fishing, there is some pretty good stuff here in the state; depending on your tastes and what you like to do.

Recently, my mother in law from Iowa moved into town, into a new home. She likes it here, too.

PM sent. Thomas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gents,
The schools are among the most corrupt. "Good in some areas and marginal in others?"
How bout 48th or 49th in the nation depending on the year. in the nation. A drop out rate of better than fifty percent over all. My wife is a teacher in a rural district, those would be the ones folks in Albuqurque never hear about. Teachers that have come from elsewhere universally consider New Mexico education to be "third world" in quality. Check and see how many judges, right up to federal level have been indited in the last five years, I think it's seven. How many LEOs indited, how many MVD employees indited. I would submit that I do not spew rubbish. I would submit some wear blinders.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:28 pm 
Utility Grade

No one who knows me would ever suggest I wear blinders.
Again some public schools are better than others. This exists in all states. NM is no exception. There are some very good public schools in ABQ and NM in general.

Judges everywhere have been indicted. Again NM is no exception. I am unware of any NM Federal judge that has been arrested. But that is my lack of knowledge.

NM is a lot better off them some other states where I have worked. How about the Orange County Sheriff being arrested or LA County. There is a lot more corruption in Souther California per capita than in NM.

However: I am reminder of the phrase "Never agrue with stupid people, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." Which seems to be the case here also.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

PJb,
You just told me all you know.