CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ben Avery
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:05 am 
Field Grade

Anyone know why the Ben Avery site isn't kept up to date ? Can't find a current sporting schedule. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Ben Avery
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:37 am 
Presentation Grade

I would guess it is just slipshod management. Management is
suppose to change very shortly, and the leaving management
is probably not too inspired for keeping up the little chores.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:51 am 
Limited Edition

They had an accident with a fork truck and a satellite dish a while back, and the person who kept up their website has had some cahnges, as well. I don't think the management is "slipshot" at all. They have been working to get the site updated.

The current listing of Arizona Sporting Clays shoots can be found at http://www.azsportingclays.com/ ... just click on "Shoot Info."

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:56 am 
Limited Edition

Then Ben Avery website has some new updates on it ... http://www.benaveryctc.com/

It isn't all the way there yet, but it does have the Sporting Clays shoots through August listed, as well as shoot flyers and the newsletter. There will be more to come, I'm sure.

I'm looking forward to a lesson from Dan Carlisle ... check out the newsletter.

Post subject: re: Ben Avery
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:31 pm 
Utility Grade

They also dont have the newsletter updated either. I dont hold much faith in that place staying open much longer what with the land values and encroaching housing developments.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:30 pm 
Crown Grade

deleted, posted in error

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:16 am 
Presentation Grade

Just thought this should be brought up to date.

Ben Avery is alive and well, very well. Range was taken over by AZ Game and Fish earlier this year and they are in the process of rebuilding all of the trap and skeet fields and improving the sporting clays courses. It looks like Game and Fish is serious about making this one of the finest shooting facilities in the county.

I now practice skeet here at least 3 days a week. The targets are excellent, the staff is very friendly and helpful, prices are reasonable ($90 for 20 rounds, which is $4.50p/rd). Range is open Wed through Sun 8am-5pm.

Several registered skeet tournaments have been held already and they were well attended including the recent Copper State which also drew many non-resident shooters. Sporting Clays tournaments are also being held.

BA also just hosted the SASS Winter Range for cowboy action folks. There was a huge crowd of shooters and vendors. Tents all over the place and many, many RV and campers on the grounds. Looked like a major event and everybody was having fun.

Bill Wood
Life Member:
NRA, NSSA/NSCA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:37 pm 
Field Grade

Just to add. I was out there last weekend for the first time since the take over and i was really impressed with the service. The range looks great. It looked like they were going to make some more additions to it. Im glad azgfd took over the range.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:50 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm glad to hear that it's doing well. I've been watching the encroaching development and worried about it's fate. I used to shoot there in 78-79...and the early 80's. Back then, it was a rifle range and a few trap throwers. It was run by AZGFD back then too. We used to quail hunt some of the surrounding land.

It was a good place to learn to shoot. The range masters were very strict, but would help you with anything. They even fixed my eyebrow from a scope bite. At a break, they would walk the line and check every gun. All mags had to be out, actions open, tubes out of tubular mags, etc. If someone screwed up once, they'd let them know. 2nd time, they would walk you out.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ben Avery will be a great place to shoot.
ONLY if they draw at least 40 people or so for a 4 gun shoot.
At $40 per gun and $6 back to class and only 10-15 people show up(they are making some $$$$$$$$$$$$) with no $'s to class winners.

They should cut the cost at the small shoots to honors only, period...

When Ben Avery Clay Target Center finally gets it all together in a few years, then and only then will they be able to ask for the $'s they are asking for now.

It all takes time to build a reputation and clientel.

JMHO, no dig intended :roll:

Last edited by CPXSSKEET on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:20 am 
Field Grade

Went out to Ben Avery last weekend and shot a few rounds under the lights. That was a blast.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:09 pm 
Limited Edition

They are only open til 8 pm, how did you get lights? Just curious, time of year etc?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just wanted to revive this old thread as things have changed, now, Ben Avery is *THE* clay target place to shoot in the greater Phoenix area.

I have been shooting there for the past 8 years or so. During this time, the Department of Game and Fish leased the clay target center. Since about 2008 or so, Game and Fish took over. They invested over 4 million, reconditing the trap and skeet fields, expanding the 10 station sporting clays course to two full 15 station courses with a 6 station 'executive' or beginner course, added olympic bunker trap and 5-stand courses. Last year, they hosted the Zone 7 regional shoot. And have also expanded operations 7 days, where it used to be closed mondays and tuesdays. Game and Fish has done, and continues to do a remarkable job. They have extended stay RV park and are continuing to expand.

If you are in the greater Phoenix area, I invite you out for some clays. Ben Avery Clay Target center will not disappoint.

Sporting Clays targets are set and managed by Dan Twitchell. They are some of the finest in the nation (especially for desert conditions)! A good write-up can be found here: http://www.azsportingclays.com/shoots/shoots_2011/2011_zone_7/2011_zone_7_championship.htm

Post subject: Re: Sporting Clays Review
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

In reviewing other courses, I realized that I really never gave a detailed review of my home course. So without further ado:

The Ben Avery Clay Target Center is managed by the Arizona Game and Fish Center. The CTC is separated from the rifle/pistol, archery, and various other ranges. There is plenty of parking along the skeet/trap fields around the clubhouse/office, overflow lot by the Quail (Executive) course, and additional parking by the Roadrunner (Expert) course. There are 102 new RV spaces, and a place to store electric golf carts. Push cart rental is $5.

Across the parking lot from the office, there are two courses, the Quail course and the Rattlesnake course. The Quail, executive, beginner course is a straight line of 6-7 stations. They throw a little bit of everything and is a great intro to the sport! Typical setup is 2 stations incomers, one outgoing/incommer/crosser, one crosser, rabbit, and elevated stand with two outgoers.

The rattlesnake course is the main course (Remember you are in the desert, I have seen rattlesnakes and tarantulas out there). It goes in a circle, so you can return to the clubhouse. There are always 15 stations, however, they can configure the course with an 'upper' level and 'lower' level. Mid-way through they can route the shooters up or down depending. The change the course up at least twice a month. One month may be the upper level, the next, lower. The course is desert scape, but Game and Fish can do a lot in desert scape as they have mounds of dirt placed throughout.

All courses use automatic traps. And game and fish will drive around with water bottles.

The roadrunner course is about 100-200 yards away. Without a cart, I drive and park over there. The roadrunner course is the 'expert' course. Not expert like Nemacolin, but expert, nonetheless. The course is set up in an 'L'. Where station #1 is the top of the 'L', you park around the bend of the 'L' and #15 is the bottom of the 'L'. A cart is recommended, however, I walk and get extra exercise. While the rattlesnake course is more convenient, I have been finding myself over here as of late.

A group of shooters have rented a crane and donated it to the Game and Fish. This mobile crane constitutes a 'tower'. It is typically setup on the roadrunner course and almost always used for tournaments, which can be set up on either course.

One thing I like is that with the two courses, when there is a tournament, there is usually a course open for non-competitors.