CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coyotes
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:21 pm 
Field Grade

I'm probably going to get kicked off this site for asking too many questions, but here we go again. My future father in law has a couple coyotes that keep showing up on his farm, he mentioned that I can shoot them if I want.

I've looked on the DNR site and all I found on the subject was not mistaking them for wolves. So does anyone know what the rules are for shooting a coyote are in Minnesota? What do you do with them afterward? What would be the best to shoot them with (I have a .308, 30-30, and 12 ga Nova)? If the shot gun is best what shot and choke?

Post subject: Re: Coyotes
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:05 pm 
Utility Grade

To me, a .223 is best for long range coyote shots. If you can call them in with a howler, mouse squeak, or prey calls (available all-over) then a shotgun is fine. I would recommend that you try to sell the coyote to whoever may want one. The fur market has taken a huge crash since last fall, so there is no market for them. Now, they are loosing most of their winter coat, making the fur impossible to sell. Fur buyers quit buying around December, due to uncertainty in the market. There are no rules for shooting 'yotes. If you are not sucessful in shooting them, look into trapping them. There are many other online forums you could visit for your situation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

beca0901 wrote:
I'm probably going to get kicked off this site for asking too many questions, but here we go again. My future father in law has a couple coyotes that keep showing up on his farm, he mentioned that I can shoot them if I want.
I've looked on the DNR site and all I found on the subject was not mistaking them for wolves. So does anyone know what the rules are for shooting a coyote are in Minnesota? What do you do with them afterward? What would be the best to shoot them with (I have a .308, 30-30, and 12 ga Nova)? If the shot gun is best what shot and choke?

All I know is they're thick this year and I haven't seen a deer or a pheasant in months and months. I get up early in the morning to go to work and I can sometimes hear packs of them in all directions yipping and howling. That makes all the neighborhood dogs go nuts.
Now about two weeks ago I'm watching tv and all of a sudden I hear this loud howling. It's completely dark out but I open my window and this howling sounds like it's real close to the house. It's a low pitched, slow eary howl.
Just one. And no neighborhood dog has the balls to say anything. :lol:
So now I have coyotes and wolves in my hood. Great. We have horses and the occasional cow and never worried about the coyotes. Horses will kicj their a$$. But a wolf, or pack of wolves......

$10 Obama bumper stickers removed $10 Call now, appointment needed

I was anti-Obama before it was cool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:33 am 
Utility Grade

Hudlow, you may only have the wolf now, I get the feeling coyotes won't hang around when wolves enter the scene. For work, I drive from Big Lake to Coon Rapids on HWY 10 and have seen the following progression in the area by the boat launch in Elk River (Mississippi river) area and the fields near the weigh station as you get to Ramsey. about 5 years ago, I started seeing Red foxes, several of them. Then, for the first time, I saw the biggest, ugliest, tastiest looking black birds in the fields (turkeys, and yes, they're ugly, but I could envision them coming out of the oven rather well). Soon after (next spring maybe), the coyotes appeared and the foxes and most of the turkeys nearly vanished. Then the coyotes seemed to disappear and the turkeys reappeared for the next 2 years. I don't know if this was why, but I am assuming based on what happened driving home about 1 in the morning early this summer. I was just beyond the weigh station and a low slung animal ran across the road right in front of me. causing me to slam on my brakes. After stopping, I looked back and saw a wolf looking right back at me as if to say "hey this is my area", after he moved off, I sat for a few minutes then heard the distinct howl. There was no mistaking that to a coyote, the length was almost double, and the walk as very distinct. I have not seen any coyotes since then either.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

one suggestion on after yo would get one is I believe there is still a fur buyer in Mora. or at least he was there a year ago.