CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun fit questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:00 pm 
Utility Grade

I have recently began to play some doggie games with my new Weim pup and am starting to realize that it is a good excuse to look for a new shot gun as they require that it be a break open gun. My wife has started questioning me about what I would like as my 30th birthday which is coming up at the end of the month.

So here is my dilemma I have always hunted with my 12 GA Rem 1100 and after doing some research I have come to find out that it doesn’t fit me very well if at all (not surprising as I am6’4” 350lbs so very few things do). So is the only option to have someone with a “try gun” fit me to come up with my dims or can an experienced gunsmith come close enough for someone who isn’t competing in competitive clay games?

I’m a firm believer in using the right tools don’t mind spending the money to get something done right just trying to avoid over kill. If that is the answer who would you recommend in the DFW area for this and what should I expect to pay for this ($300+ range)?

Kory

Post subject: re: Gun fit questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Arlington TX, home of the world famous Dallas Cowboys
I'm no expert here, but nobody else has posted a response in three days so I'll take a shot.

I'm not aware of anyone in the DFW area who uses a try gun and alters stock fit by steaming and bending, which may be what you have in mind. Ken Rucker at Speedbump Stockworks does a great job of installing adjustable butt plates and combs so you can fit the gun to yourself (and many other folks), but that seems more appropriate for claysports than field use, particularly if you're looking for something traditional. You might want to call Ken and talk about it; however, he might be able to steer you in the right direction.

FWIW, I think 1100s may fit us tall guys (like you, I stand 6'-4") more poorly than many other guns on the market. Ken had to put an adjustable buttplate on my 1100 so I could adjust the drop at the heel as well as length of pull before I could hit anything with it.

I've never found an off-the-shelf gun that fit me right, but some haven't needed expensive stock alterations. I have a Browning BSS Sporter and an old Daly Miroku O/U, for instance, that only require slip on recoil pads. IMO, the leather ones Galco makes look pretty classy on a field gun.

Different manufacturers use different stock dimensions and different shooters use different stances. Your mileage may thus vary a lot and I certainly understand desire for a custom fitted gun. I'll be following this thread, hoping somebody more knowledgable posts a more useful response.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:22 am 
Utility Grade

thank you I also posted the same question over in general to hopefully get some more trafic at least.

Kory

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Arlington TX, home of the world famous Dallas Cowboys
Yup. Some knowledgable folks there, too. That trip to SA might be fun.

If you get to the point of thinking hard about an adjustable buttplate and comb, we could get together at Elm Fork and you could play with the FrankenBeretta (which has both) to see if you'd really like to go that way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:24 am 
Field Grade

Kory,

I agree on the Ken Rucker suggestion. I recently bought a '93 Browning Grade lll Trap that was punishing me due to my long neck and arms. Ken installed his pad adjuster (while I waited) and helped fit it to me. I needed some cant and a HUGE drop at the heel. I have since run straights at Fort Worth Trap and Skeet Club League in both skeet and trap with this gun.

Ken is patient, very skilled and reasonable. Plus for those of us fortunate enough to live in North Texas, he is local. Give him a call.

Old Marine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:08 am 
Field Grade

Kory... Peter Blakeley is in the DFW area and might be what your looking for. I haven't tried him. I'm kind of new to the sport of trap shooting and will probably need to have my shotgun fitted, so I may give him a call myself... in any event, here is his url: http://www.peteblakeley.com/custom.htm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In lew of a good stock fitter you might find Rollin Oswalds book Stock Fitters Bible to be of help as well
Tom
it sure helped me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:36 am 
Field Grade

I just saw this, so my response may not be timely - sorry. I'm 6'8" and I had an extension put on my shotgun by Johnny Green out in Hurst. He tried a number of different extension lengths until we got one that felt right -- total cost was around $100 for the extension, recoil pad, and intallation. A true "fitting" is more expensive with a patern board, etc., but I'm not sure it's worth it. The Dallas Gun Club has a guy that can do an actual fitting if you'd like.

I can't find Johnny's number, but the people at Lee's Gun Parts recommended him to me and they could give you his number.