CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deer hunters want to keep guns out of Grayson County
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:23 pm 
DFW Dominant Predator

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
County deer hunters want to keep guns out of Grayson County
BY JERRIE WHITELEY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERALD DEMOCRAT NEWS PAPER

Grayson County commissioners faced a full house on Monday as they started their weekly meeting. Their agenda featured a number of weight decisions so they had plenty of things to think about as they faced the crowd. The issue that drew out the most residents, though, turned out to be animal related.

Most in the room wanted to talk about a down agenda item that asked commissioners to support a resolution to keep rifle hunting of white-tail deer out of the county.

Hunters and land owners showed up to tell commissioners they are against a state move to allow rifle hunting in the county.

Hunter Graham told commissioners that the Texas Wildlife Association is considering a request made by a Fort Worth man to allow rifle hunting of the deer in the county and the bow hunters in Grayson County want the county to oppose that move.

Graham said the white-tail deer population in Grayson County will be killed out by rifle hunting. He said he had more than 1,000 signatures from county residents, hunters and non-hunters who didn't want the rules changed in Grayson County.

All of the commissioners showed support for the resolution as soon as they started discussing it. Gene Short, commissioner Precinct 4, said archery hunters are less successful than rifle hunters and that means less animals are pulled from the herd each year.

"If I was out there with a bow and arrow, they would all be safe," Short joked.

Some of the people in the audience said safety is an issue, not only for the deer, but for the people who live and work in the area where they hunting takes place. Arrows travel less distance if they go astray.

Johnny Waldrip, commissioner Precinct 1, said in his past career with the Texas Department of Public Safety, he worked in areas where deer hunting with rifles was permitted and he investigated numerous cases where bullet fired at deer struck homes, cars and sometimes even people.

He called the idea of making rifle hunting of deer in the county, "plum crazy."

David Whitlock, commissioner Precinct 2, agreed. He said he personally doesn't hunt, but he has family members and friends who do. He said he heard from a friend recently about the deer hunting issue and was surprised when his friend turned out to favor keeping rifle hunting out of the county. Whitlock said he agreed.

Short said, "I think it could be a safety issue." With those statements, commissioners voted to support a resolution that would tell the state to leave the county's hunting season alone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KXII TV

http://www.kxii.com/news/headlines/31682734.html

Post subject: re: Deer hunters want to keep guns out of Grayson County
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:09 pm 
Crown Grade

I have never heard of such in Texas :shock: Were the hell is Grayson County?

The most densely populated county in the state is Harris :!: And if you follow certain laws one can hunt deer in the county and yes with a rifle.

This seems very strange to me,

RTA48

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:41 pm 
DFW Dominant Predator

Quote:
I have never heard of such in Texas Were the hell is Grayson County?

2 Counties North of Dallas Co. Sherman/Denison, Lake Texoma,
Oklahoma next exit :roll:

Where Ken Rucker and I reside.....I live on the East side of Grayson, Ken lives in the West end. :wink:

Land area: 934 sq. mi.
Population density: 127 people per square mile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

HMMMMMMM! I didn't know there was such a place either, is black powder or pistol allowed?

I was also unaware that the commissioners court had the authority to enact such a law, I'd have figured TPW had the say on that. :roll: but what do I know?

I'm again surprised that the commissioners court didn't require a survey by either TPW or their set board of game biologists. Now, before you might think I hold any of them (biologists) in such esteem that I think they can go to the bathroom by their self, you're mistaken :? Long story, don't ask.

I'm certainly done with my deer hunting days, but from what I see going on here and elsewhere in the state, in relationship to TPW's actions as a whole, if rifle use will increase revenues to the state and department, those against it better not count their chickens before they're peeping.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:13 am 
DFW Dominant Predator

Quote:
HMMMMMMM! I didn't know there was such a place either, is black powder or pistol allowed?

No Sir, Bow only......

Well, Cross bow during general Deer season, but not during bow only season.

Post subject: Re: re: Deer hunters want to keep guns out of Grayson County
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:30 pm 
Utility Grade

TexasTon wrote:
HMMMMMMM! I didn't know there was such a place either, is black powder or <a href="http://www.pistolworld.com">pistol</a> allowed?

I was also unaware that the commissioners court had the authority to enact such a law, I'd have figured TPW had the say on that. :roll: but what do I know?

I'm again surprised that the commissioners court didn't require a survey by either TPW or their set board of game biologists. Now, before you might think I hold any of them (biologists) in such esteem that I think they can go to the bathroom by their self, you're mistaken :? Long story, don't ask.

I'm certainly done with my deer hunting days, but from what I see going on here and elsewhere in the state, in relationship to TPW's actions as a whole, if rifle use will increase revenues to the state and department, those against it better not count their chickens before they're peeping.

You are right county commissioners have no authority to decide means and methods of harvesting wildlife. That is the authority of the TPWD only.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:23 pm 
DFW Dominant Predator

Quote:
commissioners voted to support a resolution that would tell the state to leave the county's hunting season alone.

The commissioners voted a resolution to not allow rifle hunting and send that resolution to TP&W for their consideration to keep bow hunting only.

Quote:
You are right county commissioners have no authority to decide means and methods of harvesting wildlife. That is the authority of the TPWD only.

Correct, but they can make requests, or send a resolution by the commissioners, asking TP&W for consideration in the matter.

Post subject: Re: Deer hunters want to keep guns out of Grayson County
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:19 am 
Field Grade

Sounds like a good shotgun only county. Grayson County has a lot of urban areas, but still some rural.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Post subject: Re: Deer hunters want to keep guns out of Grayson County
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:17 am 
Field Grade

Won't even let kids use a rifle or shotgun during youth weekend!!

Upcoming Texas Hunting Seasons for Grayson County
(County seat: Sherman)
Back to County List

Note: Please read the Advisories and notes on the previous page.

White-tailed Deer
Special Antler Restrictions

Archery Only: Sept. 29-Nov. 2, 2012. No permit required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLD permits have been issued for the property.
Bag Limit: 4 deer, no more than 2 bucks, and no more than 2 antlerless, all seasons combined.
General Season: Nov. 3, 2012-Jan. 6, 2013.
Special Provisions: lawful means are restricted to lawful archery equipment and crossbows only, including MLDP properties.

No permit is required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLD antlerless permits have been issued for the tract of land.

Special Youth-Only Season: Early open season: Oct. 27-28, 2012. Late open season: Jan. 7-20, 2013.

Bag limits, provision for the take of antlerless deer, and special requirements of the county, shall be as specified for the first 2 days of the general open season.

Licensed hunters 16 years of age or younger may hunt deer by archery only during this season.

Squirrel:
No closed season. Daily Bag Limit: 10.

Turkey
The annual bag limit for turkey, in the aggregate for all counties, is four (4), no more than one of which may be an Eastern turkey.

Spring:
Eastern Turkey: Open season: Apr. 15-May14, 2013. Bag limit (both species): One gobbler.

means limited to shotgun, lawful archery equipment, and crossbows
it is unlawful for any person to take or attempt to take turkeys by the aid of baiting, or on or over a baited area, and
all turkeys harvested during the open season must be registered at designated check stations within 24 hours of the time of kill. Harvested turkeys may be field dressed, but must otherwise remain intact.
Quail:
Statewide: Open season: Oct. 27, 2012-Feb. 24, 2013. Daily bag limit: 15 Possession limit: 45

Dove:
North Zone