CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where did you shoot today?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

OK, so I started a post when I was a new member, about places to shoot skeet at in the Houston area. Since I am no longer new I figured I'd start a thread to talk about where you shot at and how well (or terrible) you did.

This morning I went out to Gun Emporium in Conroe, and met up with a friend I hadn't seen in nearly 10 years.

I shot two rounds of skeet and my first ever two rounds of trap. Shooting skeet was difficult for me to see the birds because of the tree line. We also had some March wind to deal with. For trap I shot a 3 (with a skeet choke) and then a 6 (with a modified choke).

For $8.50 and the distance I had to travel, I would have been better off going to American Shooting Centers. It costs the same, their facility is nicer, and ALL of their machines are properly aligned.

Maybe next time I'll try Creekwood when I get together with my friend. At first I thought that was where we were going.

Last edited by Shaft on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: Where did you shoot today?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shot at Creekwood, yesterday, Saturday. It was busy with a bunch of people practicing for next Saturday's Lion's Club shoot.

No tree line birds to deal with at Creekwood. Great background, friendly management.

Some day I am going to get over 80% on that 5 Stand Monster ;)

Looking for some International Trap in the Houston Area--just gotta try it.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:04 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I shot a benefit shoot yesterday at Wichita Falls, I'm pretty sure this is a member only club and them having this enabled me to see what they had. Of course, anything beats what's around here so this doesn't give my jealousy much foundation :roll: but I'd be tickled to death to have what they have.

And they've done pretty well for what they have to work with as well, If I were within 100 miles it would take me about 15 seconds to pay the membership.

I shot with a group of the regular regulars :wink: and I'm sure they thought as usual, "oh no, who's this ole guy we have to put up with today"? So, I hope I didn't spoil their day too badly :lol:

I asked a couple of guys, "so, how often does someone bring in enough machines to put on an affair like this, put on this many stations"? They looked at me, then at each other and said "well, not sure what you mean but we shoot this course 3-4 times a week in good weather".

I'll have to try and find out more about it, but man, it sure seems like a really long ways down there and only 290 miles.

Today, trap/skeet/5 stand in Amarillo (barf) and the ole SuperX held her head proud. :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:48 am 
Field Grade

Re: International Trap

I've heard there's a Bunker Trap somewhere around Angleton. It's not at The Metropolitan Gun Club, so I don't know where it is. Other than that, I think it's Kerrville or Dallas. I shot bunker at Dallas week before last. It sure is hard. Wobble Trap with the spring cranked up is pretty close.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

What is bunker trap? Do you shoot from inside a ditch?

No shooting this weekend. Bad weather. I may wait until April to go out again because the March wind is bad. (But then again, I used to shoot Spring league.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:32 pm 
Field Grade

Bunker is, I think, the same as Olympic trap. There are five shooting stations on the roof of a bunker buried in the ground. There are 15 traps in the bunker. Each shooter shoots at one target, then the shooters rotate, like regular trap except one target per station rather than 5. You are allowed 2 shots at each target. The traps are fixed so that each shooter shoots the same targets at each station during the round of 25. If you pay attention, you can preview what you will shoot next. They use voice release. The one in Dallas was set to throw on first sound, so by the time I finished saying pull, the target was already in view. The targets are fast. I think, but am not sure, that they are International targets which are a little larger and tougher than standard. Obviously, it's very expensive to build, so there aren't very many. The first time I went to the National Gun Club, they had one, but they took it out for reasons far beyond me.

Post subject: Re: Where did you shoot today?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Praying for fair weather this weekend. Not quite sure where I'm going to shoot at.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:28 am 
Tournament Grade

Or should I say, "Where did you NOT shoot today"?

Last night I was driving through League City and saw the sign for the Clear Creek Gun Range. Since I had to drive through there again today, I took my shotgun with me, just in case. As I drive up I was excited to see skeet towers next to a really pretty lake. But then I saw that they were run down as well as the club house. So I go over to the clubhouse for the rifle range and they tell me that the skeet fields have been closed for about 12 years. I asked why and they told me that about 25 years ago they (I'm assuming Texas Parks & Wildlife) declared all wetlands south of I-10 as migratory bird sanctuaries and therefore they can't shoot lead shot over the lake. Steel shot would be fine.

Guess I learn something new everyday. Good way to kill shotgun sport business by forcing people to use steel shot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yesterday, Friday, spent the day at Creekwood.

1. Shot wobble trap--there is a trap machine set to wobble in the trap house on Skeet 1.

2. Is is also possible to shoot wobble targets from the Skeet Stations--what a game!

3. Five Stand is now open daily and offers some challenging targets.

Shoot Well,

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

The wife and I are on vacation this week. Hopefully I'll get some shooting time in; if the weather cooperates.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

We went to Alpine in Ft. Worth and shot skeet today. I wanted to try out Elm Fork, but it was going to be out of the way for one of us. I haven't shot since March and did a 13, 14, and 17.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:47 am 
Tournament Grade

We went to American Shooting Centers on Saturday. Took an 11 year old kid for the first time. He was excited that he hit his very first bird, and managed to nail a low 8. A lot of it was luck, but I think the skeet bug has bitten him. I shot a 14, 15, 18, and 16. Not bad since I haven't shot in two months.

I wish there was a place closer to Baytown. ASC is nice, and well worth the drive, but sometimes I wish there was somewhere we could go that doesn't take an hour to drive to.

(maybe I'll build my own field someday.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shot skeet out at American Shooting Centers yesterday. It has been over a month since I last shot and I did a 13, 13, 14, and 14. Also took a 16 year old kid with me. He did alright for his first time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shot at Texas City on Saturday. This was my first time testing out my Mossberg 590 since I had some work done on it. And also was my first time to shoot since I got glasses.

10 - With my Mossberg 590
16 - Yildiz (broke two birds with one shot)
15 - (At this point I was running a fever and getting really sick)

The wind was an issue, as it usually is out there. But shooting over the water is always nice.