CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Woodcock in Arkansas?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:47 pm 
Field Grade

Out of curiosity, does anyone on here hunt woodcock in Arkansas? I know they are listed in the AGFC's handbook and there is a specific season and bag limit for them but until this weekend I had never seen one.

I was at deer camp in the hills NW of Clinton and saw one flying at dusk. My buddy saw it too and confirmed it was a woodcock. He said he had seen two around the same area but a different time and they were sitting on the side of the dirt road. I'd always thought they'd be found more in the marshy, delta region of the state. Not that I need another thing to hunt, it still might be cool to go specifically after them.

Post subject: Re: Woodcock in Arkansas?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am 
Field Grade

I know this is almost three years late, but just joined and thot i would reply just in case.
I hunt woodcock regularly in Arkansas and find them mostly in Ouchita forest area, not in the marsh/delta regions you would suspect. Unfortunately in Arkansas our season seems a bit early and is interupted by opening of modern gun deer season. So, I find many more after season ends while quail hunting. Wish our seasons where a bit later.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I just happened on this query and can comment. I hunted woodcock for many years in Louisiana and know where to look for them. I have killed exactly one woodcock in Arkansas in numerous efforts. I hunt a Chesapeake and if they are there she will find them. I have pretty much given up on the woodcock and started hunting snipe. Many more and easy to find. I have suggested to AGFC a later season, but you are right deer season ruins the woodcock possibility. Got to get a new knee before I chase any more snipe though! I do have an excellent place to hunt them in N. East Louisiana near Newellton.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:35 am 
Utility Grade

I chase woodcock in Arkansas from time to time. I actually have a cocker spaniel for the job.

The season is almost always two early. Last year they came late (as usual).

This year on January 4th while closing our our last dove hunt of the season (ice, wet, wicked wind) we jumped 18 on a WMA in South Arkansas.

We sometimes jump a few while chasing quail as well. Generally after the timberdoodle season has closed.