Shotgun Forum banner

Licensing question

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Air 
#1 ·
Hi

New hunter with questions:

When fishing, if I am in trout stocked waters, I have to have a trout license even if after something else. So when hunting in a public WMA, if I have a small game license and carry only small game shot... do I have to have the waterfowl licenses if ducks are present? What about big game license since deer are present?

I'm planning to hunt small game on a WMA with a shotgun. Black powder and archery are already open for deer season. Will there be any issues if I bump into a ranger, assuming I have only small game license and small game shot?

Also, since doves are present, must the gun be plugged if not hunting or in possesion of doves?

#4 ·
Do yuo have a copy of the Va game laws? If not get one. It's full of all kinds of info that you need to know.

If hunting small game, while another season is in(rabbit hunting during deer season) you do not need a big game permit. If you're not hunting migratory birds(doves are one) or crows, your shotgun can be unplugged. You need to talk with your local game warden. The phone numbers for the different districts are in the game law pamphlet. These can be picked up where ever you'll buy your license.

Where in Va are you hunting? I have a couple of our local wardens cell #s if you're over in the SW corner near Roanoke.

HWD

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I have talked to the rangers, but it seems whenever I hang up, I have new questions. I also have the game law books and read the VADGIF webpage frequently. There is just too much legaleez for me. One ranger I met said he can't even interpret some of the laws, but said if he saw me in the woods "this is what I will check".

So not even the rangers aren't consistent?

#7 ·
Air,

I'd have to question that one. I had a game warden give me a hard time about carrying a 22 semi pistol while deer hunting. I told him I used it on squirrels or rabbits, not deer. He wanted to dispute whether I could even carry it. We went our separate ways carrying each others contact info. On Monday morning, I was on the phone with his supervisor(who I happened to know). I was within my rights and nothing else was said about it.

Your carrying a concealed weapon doesn't mean that you're hunting with it. Heck you can carry concealed, with the proper permit, when bow or muzzleloader hunting.

HWD

#9 ·
Air said:
Fun isn't. One thing that sticks out in my mind from chatting with a game warden was that if I am legally carry a concealed handgun during deer season, make sure it meets the rules for being able to hunt with it.
This is pure BULL- :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.